Municipal IIe de Re

mac111051

Malc, not used it but had a look at it a while back. it is fine, well located. however, in the same road is the aire which is E11 for one night or E18 for 2 (as of last week).

We usually stay at La Grainetiere just off the La Flotte bypass, great site, hosts, wonderful pool and a gentle stroll into La Flotte or a bit further to St Martin.

Obviously, great cycling everywhere.........why did we come home????

mac111051 - 2013-07-08 8:38 PM

Has anyone used the Municipal at St Martin De Re if so what,s it like, any other suggestions for sites on IIe de Re

Thanks Mac

At the far western end of the island is quite a nice site near the lighthouse - I think it was called Les Baleines. Very friendly reception - even opened up the barrier during their lunch break so I could get in and find a pitch.

It was ACSi - and cost about £15 per night ( in June last year -and there was plenty of room ).

Just down the road in the village of St. Clement des Baleines was a good size aire which looked quite crowded ( from outside ) and, I seem to recall, was charging not much less than the site.

Excellent cycling area of course - and long sandy beaches nearby.

St Martin is a well run site but some of the pitches can be very small and compact and manoeuvring can be a problem. Once you are set up its a good area. There is a small Aire down the road which can be packed and not worth bothering about.

rolandrat - 2013-07-09 8:25 AM

I think it is 8 euros' return, will be less for a car.

Class 1 (cars)and Class 2 (most m/h under 3.5t) are as above, BUT, it doubles in season.

Class 3 (most m/h over 3.5t) €18 (but that doesn't change in season).

malc d - 2013-07-09 9:05 AM

When we crossed in mid June last year ( class 2 ) the charges went up on the day we crossed - and I'm sure it was around 16 euros ( including return )

Worth checking if it is of concern.

;-)

Malc, we also crossed this year on the day after the charges went up..................it was 12 Euros. There is no toll on the return trip.

sshortcircuit - 2013-07-09 9:16 AM

I thought it was quite high and €18 is a concern if you are just doing a sight seeing trip. We gave it a miss and viewed from the car park at toll booth

As I posted, its 12 E for an under 3.5 T van. Cant do much sightseeing from the toll car park, depends if you have been there before. If so, why come to the car park just to look, if not why let 12 E stop you from visiting when you.ve invested the time and money to come to the toll booth???

I thought it was quite high and €18 is a concern if you are just doing a sight seeing trip. We gave it a miss and viewed from the car park at toll booth

Best thing to do, honestly what is it about the Ill de Re. It is an island and not an attractive one, dead flat with nothing much worth seeing. We spent about two hours in St. Martin and an hour of that was having lunch. I guess if you are into cycling on dead flat cycle tracks that are all the same, fine, otherwise not worth the diversion. We intended to stay a week but two days was a day to many.

bolero boy - 2013-07-09 9:26 AM

As I posted, its 12 E for an under 3.5 T van. Cant do much sightseeing from the toll car park, depends if you have been there before. If so, why come to the car park just to look, if not why let 12 E stop you from visiting when you.ve invested the time and money to come to the toll booth???

I was wasting time as I was awaiting an arrival at La Rochelle airport just up the road and did not have any inclination to put myself under a timescale. My MH is 3.85T so not sure of rate. From what I gather I did not miss much although thats me jumping to conclusions.

We used the municipal at St Martin a couple of years ago it is a tad small but nice..the nightly cost escapes me but it was around 15 euros decent facilities..lots of good cycling (safe too) there..we used to cycle to the large supermarket 10 mins down the road and into the town to the marina..If I remember it cost 16 euros to get onto the island but worth it for the area well in my view it was would definately visit again

Give the Ill de Oleron a try as well that too is a great place..

Guest Had Enough

I had a few days on the island just a month ago. We used an ACSI site, Camping la Tour les Prises, which is farther west than St. Martin and quiet. It was very well run, good-sized pitches and free wi-fi.

It's position was ideal for cycling. An easy ride to St. Martin, or the lighthouse at the end, and the north and south coasts.

There is intense competition in the low season so sites are competitive and good value. However, I looked at the notice board and prices in high season were horrendous. This simple site with just a small swimming pool was over €40 per night for two and a 'van. The island is not cheap in summer.

It's our second visit and we love it, lovely little fishing villages, a superb range of traffic-free cycle routes and for people such as me who cycle occasionally, no hills!

http://lesprises.com/en/

sshortcircuit - 2013-07-09 9:38 AM

From what I gather I did not miss much although thats me jumping to conclusions.

You've been reading too many of Henry's (Rupert123) posts. Great place for chilling out, walking, cycling, eating seafood, dringking good wine and generally relaxing. a great end wind-down to a long break.

No good if you like mountains, blocks of flats, raging torrents, motorways and the like.

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-07-09 11:15 AM

From what I gather I did not miss much although thats me jumping to conclusions.

You've been reading too many of Henry's (Rupert123) posts. Great place for chilling out, walking, cycling, eating seafood, drinking good wine and generally relaxing. a great end wind-down to a long break.

No good if you like mountains, blocks of flats, raging torrents, motorways and the like.

Indeed...but while you were embracing Joie de vivre, H probably eating his oven chips :-D .

Very laid back and some really nice beaches. mind you avoid St Martin on a summer day as it gets very busy. We have had some good summer holidays there and the safe cycling routes through the towns lovely.....I remember this subject before and the usual old jaded prejudices pop up time and time again. SS so funny.... he turned around here, and did exactly the same at Mont saint Michel shortly after....what an astonishing skin flint! :D

JudgeMental - 2013-07-09 11:38 AM

You've been reading too many of Henry's (Rupert123) posts. Great place for chilling out, walking, cycling, eating seafood, drinking good wine and generally relaxing. a great end wind-down to a long break.

Indeed...but while you were embracing Joie de vivre, H probably eating his oven chips :-D .

Very laid back and some really nice beaches. mind you avoid St Martin on a summer day as it gets very busy. We have had some good summer holidays there and the safe cycling routes through the towns lovely.....I remember this subject before and the usual old jaded prejudices pop up time and time again. SS so funny.... he turned around here, and did exactly the same at Mont saint Michel shortly after....what an astonishing skin flint! :D

Le Monte Michel at €25 for a car park with absolutely nothing was not value for money and in addition I had been years previously and recent stop was just to see how the water dredging was progressing which was very slowly.

Now please do not try and be irritating with typically rude comments and go and play sandcastles with the other children :-D

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2013-07-09 11:56 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-07-09 11:38 AM

Le Monte Michel at €25 for a car park with absolutely nothing was not value for money and in addition I had been years previously and recent stop was just to see how the water dredging was progressing which was very slowly.

Now please do not try and be irritating with typically rude comments and go and play sandcastles with the other children :-D

you need to buy a bicycle...then you can park up and cycle in at no cost :-D

sshortcircuit - 2013-07-09 12:36 PM

Lovely 5* aires at Beauvar and I think you get a free bus down to Le Monte. Now as you have mentioned it, on your bike, as we have well digressed from the OP :-D

I think the free shuttle bus is only from the Mont car park, which is a very short distance, not from the aire at Beauvoir which is 2 km away.

The aire at Beauvoir is almost a campsite, as it has a reception office.

Robinhood - 2013-07-09 9:36 AM

bolero boy - 2013-07-09 9:26 AM

As I posted, its 12 E for an under 3.5 T van.

....must have been a special rate for the first day ;-)

http://charente-maritime.fr/CG17/jcms/ehe20091009_5217/peage

Apologies Robin, I did check the price with 'she who must wind the window down and curse at every toll as the booth is either too high or too low' and she did say 12E but it is, in fact 16E in high season and 8E in low season.

Archived