DEAD - Ventura Pro Caravan Club Edition.

Guest adhple

Guest adhple

DEAD - Ventura Pro Caravan Club Edition

(S6450 CC 7" LCD screen) £399

We have a 3.5 ton 8 meter motorhome and was lead up a farm track on the way to a CC site by our Tom-Tom so we thought it about time to try the CC Snooper.

We purchased it a month prior to a long trip down to southern Italy so we had time to learn to use it. We found it easy to use and it did what it says on the tin. But we never were able to get the TCM to work

On our trip to Italy we found it worked very well taking us to a new camp each night. BUT on the way home we visited a camping stopover in the centre of ROME and just before we got there are troubles started, the Snooper stopped working, we rang the help line and was told to connect it to the internet and update it! We are in the middle of Rome and our cables are at home with my computer, 1000 miles away! they said don’t worry just reset it and it will work again.

After resting and restarting it 20 or30 times we ended up with a completely DEAD Snooper, in the centre of Rome. We got home on my wife’s Apple i-phone using the map app.

On return we rang the help line again, and thy tell us “oh yes is a software fault we know about, download this patch and it will fix it” we download it and guess what - DEAD Snooper - OK they say we will collect it and see what’s wrong.

Until it went dead we were happy with it, but having spent £400 on the top of the range Sat-Nav, we are not happy with the purchase and expect to see some sort of backup within the machine, like a spare card which holds all the information as a backup.

We are off on another long trip in France soon and the Tom-Tom will be coming as a spare!

Guest JudgeMental
sat nags pretty dumb, not infallible, or a substitute for engaging your brain..and to travel without backup (map?) not to clever really. Its because of stories like this that I stick with Garmin.

Similar problem with my 12 month old Garmin. just back from over 8 weeks round Scandinavia during which it never failed to

- switch itself off randomly every day at least once

-freeze when coming out of a tunnel forcing us to switch it off again

-screen greys out with pink dots , very pretty, forcing us to switch it off and rest it for a while.

Now I am home I have reloaded the software and have crossed my fingers, it seems to work but no tunnels as yet.

I don't think it's just your sat nav, they are all just machines that go wrong at the worst possible moment.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adhple

After the CC came involved capital store replaced the unit. I now have a working 'Ventura Pro Caravan Club Edition' to take to France in August, But the Tom Tom will come as a backup.

When it’s working it’s a very good SatNav and a lot better than the Tom Tom although the POI lets it down, Tom Tom wins hands down here.

I'm on my 4th TomTom over a good few years and I have never been let down by one yet - so far anyway!

We always take a second sat nav as a backup after all they take up virtually no space but have never needed it and we don't go in for the fancy stuff with height, weight or any other filters as I'm too tight to spend the extra cash!

More to the point, over the years common sense and a decent map to refer to when in doubt tend to keep us out of trouble and if in doubt I ignore the turn off instructions until I find a road that looks more acceptable.

Tracker - 2013-07-19 5:52 P

More to the point, over the years common sense and a decent map to refer to when in doubt tend to keep us out of trouble and if in doubt I ignore the turn off instructions until I find a road that looks more acceptable.

Have to agree with you , though we don't take a back up TT (gave our old one away)

We don't turn "HER" off, but just ignore "HER"

I am waiting for the day when "SHE" argues with me, and asks why we ignore her instructions!!!

PJay

Just added a larger TT XXL Western Europe to my trusty TT One V3.

Yes, Rich, common sense, a good map and the ability to realise that this is just a driving aid, like many others in the van/car, are paramount.

Incidently, I dont have the voice turned on, I prefer to look at the icon showing the next instruction (eg turn left) with a distance countdown rather than have someone repeatedly telling me to turn left........

Additionally, I find the TT far easier to use than others I have come across, my pal has two different units (a Navman and some other thing) neither of which has ever managed to get him to a site without detours......................operator/driver error I suspect, lol).

bolero boy - 2013-07-19 7:06 PM

Incidently, I dont have the voice turned on, I prefer to look at the icon showing the next instruction (eg turn left) with a distance countdown rather than have someone repeatedly telling me to turn left........

Additionally, I find the TT far easier to use than others I have come across).

Me too Chris - the bloody voice drives I dafter than I already are!

'Tis enough having the wife chattering away without two of 'em competing for my ears!!

No TT has ever failed to get me to where I want to be - or at least to where the lat & long I input tell it I that want to be - but one does need care to hit the right key with short fat finger syndrome, and the beauty of using the same one is that the controls all work very similarly so less confusion for the already confused enough!

adhple - 2013-07-19 5:31 PM

After the CC came involved capital store replaced the unit. I now have a working 'Ventura Pro Caravan Club Edition' to take to France in August, But the Tom Tom will come as a backup.

When it’s working it’s a very good SatNav and a lot better than the Tom Tom although the POI lets it down, Tom Tom wins hands down here.

I also use two SatNavs abroad. I set my smaller one to display the speed in kilometers rather than the travelling route. Much easier to read than using the van's speedometer.

Always check with a map though, don't entirely trust them.

Archived