fridge thermostat

Hi We have a RM6401 fridge, I want to fit a new Thermostat, I was told it was easy and straightforward, but when we come to do it we have found that it is not, there is a thin coiled wire attached that seems to be disappearing into the top of the fridge into the freezer compartment, how do you take the freezer box out so that you can get to it :'( Regards Val

Hi val,

I can't help with removing the freezer box but are you sure the thermostat has failed?

I only ask because our fridge is a similar model and I too thought the thermostat had failed but in reality it turned out to be the small spindle connecting the knob to the rheostat on the PCB.

I must admit it was quite tricky to change but was a lot cheaper and certainly easier then replacing the capillary thermostat.

Keith.

Hi I can also confirm that my thermostat spindle had broken , did not realise it was such a common problem. I managed to drill a small hole down the spindle and insert a small dowel peg and with the aid of super glue managed a good repair. That was 2 years ago and it is still working fine.

I still cannot understand why the spindle should break as it only performs a light weight function ?

Worth checking yours before replacing thermostat.

Keith

Val the spindle we are all referring too is the fridge temperature control knob. When try you change the temperature fridge setting by the control knob if the spindle has broken then obviously there will be no change to the fridge temperature, which gives a similar effect to the thermostat failing.

Just by turning the control knob it is not apparent that the spindle has broken, it is only when you remove the fridge and expose the printed circuit board that you can see whether the rheostat turns or whether the spindle has broken.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Are you saying that the fridge gets cold on 230v and 12v operation but doesn't get cold on gas? If so it may well be nothing to do with the thermostat or the spindle but just plain old fashioned soot!

With a build up of soot, spiders webs and general gunge in the chimney the fridge would perform normally on electricity as the elements are next to the heat exchanger but will not perform properly on gas as a soot blockage will not allow the heat from the gas flame to travel to the exchanger.

The solution is to unscrew the burner and move it out of the way. Then from the top of the chimney remove the spinner ( a twisted piece of metal which is hooked by a wire hook to the top of the chimney) lift it out, being careful not to let it drop back down the chimney) and give it a good clean. use a stiff bristled brush like a bottle cleaner type to brush down the inside of the chimney collecting the debris on a sheet of paper or cloth held under the bottom (of the chimney). Now replace the spinner, carefully so as to make sure the hook is properly seated at the top. Replace the burner and the wind deflector.

Now try the fridge on gas and see if it cools properly.

The "R" series of Dometic fridges had a problem with sooting, until they modified the burners, especially when operating on auto gas from refillable gas bottles or from some of the gas suppliers who routinely added oil to the steel bottles.

Hope this helps!

Frankkia - 2013-07-11 9:42 PM

Are you saying that the fridge gets cold on 230v and 12v operation but doesn't get cold on gas? If so it may well be nothing to do with the thermostat or the spindle but just plain old fashioned soot!

With a build up of soot, spiders webs and general gunge in the chimney the fridge would perform normally on electricity as the elements are next to the heat exchanger but will not perform properly on gas as a soot blockage will not allow the heat from the gas flame to travel to the exchanger.

The solution is to unscrew the burner and move it out of the way. Then from the top of the chimney remove the spinner ( a twisted piece of metal which is hooked by a wire hook to the top of the chimney) lift it out, being careful not to let it drop back down the chimney) and give it a good clean. use a stiff bristled brush like a bottle cleaner type to brush down the inside of the chimney collecting the debris on a sheet of paper or cloth held under the bottom (of the chimney). Now replace the spinner, carefully so as to make sure the hook is properly seated at the top. Replace the burner and the wind deflector.

Now try the fridge on gas and see if it cools properly.

The "R" series of Dometic fridges had a problem with sooting, until they modified the burners, especially when operating on auto gas from refillable gas bottles or from some of the gas suppliers who routinely added oil to the steel bottles.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that info, but we have done all the cleaning and tests and it is pointing to the thermostat, it works on gas but shuts off after it reaches a certain temp, what I want to know is how to fit the new thermostat if any body knows, but thanks for trying to help :'(

fairweather camper - 2013-07-12 10:02 AM

... it works on gas but shuts off after it reaches a certain temp, (

When it shuts off does the pilot light stay alight?

If not it may be a failing thermocouple. Part 428 on diagram linked to above.

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-07-12 11:17 AM

Keith.

Thermocouple has been changed

fairweather camper - 2013-07-12 2:43 PM

Keith.

So does the pilot stay alight now?

Keithl - 2013-07-12 2:58 PM

fairweather camper - 2013-07-12 2:43 PM

Keith.

So does the pilot stay alight now?

NO

Sorry for asking so bluntly and honestly I didn't mean to offend :'( I was just rushing to answer.

As you now say the pilot lights still goes out then I would suggest the fault still lies with the thermocouple and not the thermostat.

If it is a brand new thermocouple then my first suggestion would be that the tip is not in the pilot flame and consequently stays 'on' with the main burner but not the pilot. Another possibility is that you have either a faulty thermocouple or a faulty connection at one end or the other.

After the main burner goes off do you hear a click as the gas valve closes at any time? If so is this click before or after the pilot light goes out?

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-07-12 7:41 PM

Sorry for asking so bluntly and honestly I didn't mean to offend :'( I was just rushing to answer.

As you now say the pilot lights still goes out then I would suggest the fault still lies with the thermocouple and not the thermostat.

If it is a brand new thermocouple then my first suggestion would be that the tip is not in the pilot flame and consequently stays 'on' with the main burner but not the pilot. Another possibility is that you have either a faulty thermocouple or a faulty connection at one end or the other.

After the main burner goes off do you hear a click as the gas valve closes at any time? If so is this click before or after the pilot light goes out?

Keith.

Hi Keith, you certainly did not offend, my reply was also blunt as I was hurrying to go out, but glad of any help given, when I switch the thermostat down it clicks and then the pilot light went out, and then kept trying to light again. Basil another contributor on here gave me some tests to do and after completing them, it was decided that it was the thermostat, so I bought one and now want to know how to fit it, have tried to get someone to fit it for me, but he isn't available until October ?, so thought we would give it a go.

Regards Val

Archived