Scotland 6 week tour: Caravan or Motorhome?

Gwendolyn

Guest 1footinthegrave
One of the major advantages of a PVC is if a car can get there so can I, apart of course from the dreaded height barrier.

Bulletguy - 2013-07-14 11:22 AM

Avoiding these little roads means you will be missing out on some of the best parts of Scotland, not to mention the remoteness and unspoilt nature.

......couldn't agree more.

This single track road is a case in point - easier to drive than most narrow two-lane roads, views to kill for, and a magnificent campsite once you reach the coast!

http://goo.gl/maps/Yd7F6

.....and you aren't going to get to places like this without a bit of single-track road!

clachtoll.jpg.29458c00b09cfa24a7e9403f235effb3.jpg

OK Muswell, not a spectacular photo, but one for Gwen's info. This was the view from the cab on the road to Dun Dornaigil Broch - I wouldn't want to have to reverse or unhitch a caravan here.

It's fairly typical once off the beaten track and its not the tightest road we encountered either. If minor / unclassified roads are on the agenda whilst actually towing a caravan, some good fortune would be required.

1565399102_(130)(Small).JPG.f7d126e616303fa27aaba0ed88c55c31.JPG

It may have changed now but when we first went to Islay the drivers of oncoming vehicles waved. I thought it was because they mistook my VW, which did not look like a camper, for someone else. I then discovered that it is just the local custom when you meet someone on the road.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Robinhood - 2013-07-14 12:14 PM

Avoiding these little roads means you will be missing out on some of the best parts of Scotland, not to mention the remoteness and unspoilt nature.

......couldn't agree more.

This single track road is a case in point - easier to drive than most narrow two-lane roads, views to kill for, and a magnificent campsite once you reach the coast!

http://goo.gl/maps/Yd7F6

.....and you aren't going to get to places like this without a bit of single-track road!

You've obviously never been to Anglesea ;-)

As I have a Campervan it will go anywhere a car will go and if stuck, easy to manoeuvre out of any tight spots. Also worth remembering that some of these narrow single track roads have deep drops either side for drainage. Slip one wheel off and you won't be getting out without the aid of a friendly farmer!

I've toured Scotland extensively including many of the islands and lost count of the number of large CB owners who never ventured off the major roads. They missed out on a lot.

So.... are you saying that if our motorhome is larger than a campervan, [it is], we would do better to take the caravan, park it up, and use the car for sightseeing in remoter areas????

Gwendolyn - 2013-07-15 10:15 AM

As I have a Campervan it will go anywhere a car will go and if stuck, easy to manoeuvre out of any tight spots. Also worth remembering that some of these narrow single track roads have deep drops either side for drainage. Slip one wheel off and you won't be getting out without the aid of a friendly farmer!

I've toured Scotland extensively including many of the islands and lost count of the number of large CB owners who never ventured off the major roads. They missed out on a lot.

So.... are you saying that if our motorhome is larger than a campervan, [it is], we would do better to take the caravan, park it up, and use the car for sightseeing in remoter areas????

Not sure what the distinction is here between " little roads " and " major roads ".

Some of the major roads ( 'A' roads ) are single track - but still quite useable.

There are of course other tracks which look more like bridleways - which I've not tried out.

;-)

crinklystarfish - 2013-07-14 4:14 PM

OK Muswell, not a spectacular photo, but one for Gwen's info. This was the view from the cab on the road to Dun Dornaigil Broch - I wouldn't want to have to reverse or unhitch a caravan here.

It's fairly typical once off the beaten track and its not the tightest road we encountered either. If minor / unclassified roads are on the agenda whilst actually towing a caravan, some good fortune would be required.

Thanks for that. And thanks too to Robinhood for his link. I tremble at the prospect of towing our caravan along a roads like those [Correction: at the prospect of being a passenger while O/H tows etc....]

IF we were to take our caravan – and by the way, it is one of the smallest and narrowest on the market – we’d imagined parking in some less remote area and using the car to venture to remoter places like the ones depicted.

In any case, as I said up thread, we have made the decision that the motorhome has it. Too much driving out and back with caravan option.

Well… at least… I THOUGHT we’d decided, then along comes Brock saying take the caravan, and Bulletguy who, I think, indicates that a car would be preferred???? Not sure. Asked for clarification.

RE Midge advice from 1foot, I never travel anywhere without copious amounts of Avon Skin So Soft, and anti histamine tablets and hydrocortisone cream. However, not sure if the midge hat would suit me!!

Think we are coming to the conclusion that early-ish next year might be the better option from the midge point of view.

And, sorry Brock, I cannot tear myself away from the idea of the West coast, appealing though you made the East Coast sound.

Thanks one and all,

Gwen

Got to be the Motorhome, Scotland is Motorhome friendly compared to England no problem finding somewhere to stop the night you won't have to worry about sites. Both the car parks in Fort William have Motorhome parking spaces but not for overnighting (free low season). We went in April so no midges not one bite and temperatures of 25/ 26 deg.

malc d - 2013-07-15 10:49 AM

Here's a view you won't get on the east coast.

Western end of the Isle of Mull, on a site at Fionnphort - pic taken from the van doorway:

( and no midges ).

That's what I'm after!

Thanks; inspiring!

Gwen

Gwen,

I think there is some (possibly quite innocent and/or inadvertent) scaremongering going on here.

ALL the roads you would need to use to do a good tour of Scotland (West Coast, Islands, etc.) are eminently suitable for your van - I quite happily drive mine on them (as I did my previous, wider, A-Class). Remember, ALL deliveries are made using these roads, and much bigger, wider vehicles use them. The existence of regular passing places makes them considerably more relaxing to drive than narrow two-lane roads.

There are SOME roads that are less than desirable, and whilst I would acknowledge that Crinkly's picture (of a road clearly classified as a minor road and fairly obviously from the off, a challenge - it being classified at the junction as "unsuitable for caravans") is representative of those some roads, I've never felt the need to use one of those in a 'van to fulfil my sightseeing ambitions. (though in fact, if I'm ever to complete the Munros with the most Northerly one, Ben Hope, that particular road may well be one I choose either to cycle or use the car, but it is hardly on a main tourist drag). There will be some roads you wouldn't wish to use, there will, however, be ample opportunity for several six-week sightseeing trips without using those roads.

Lest it seems I'm gilding the lily a bit, two very good examples of eminently driveable side roads you may wish to use for sightseeing (though cycling is good on these) are the West Loch Ewe road from Poolewe (stunning views, and the Arctic Convoy memorial at the end), and the coast road from below Gairloch to Badachro and Redpoint (stunning views of the Hebrides, and entertainment from the Gannet colonies if it's the correct season). Both these are dead-end B roads, with ample parking/turning at the end. These (easily viewable using Street View) are representative of hundreds of such locations on a possible coastal tour.

The roads are fine! Take your 'van (and if you miss out on some remote sites, record them and return some time with the car/caravan with a knowledge of the desired bases). ;-)

As I've said, you'll have to use single-track roads (or brave the April snows) to get views such as these:

(...and the last one shows the access road to the (now sadly closed) Achnahaird campsite, not an A-road ;-))

Altandhu.jpg.9c7aa486d3807ee86da1c2c5e113d1cd.jpg

Altandhu2.jpg.ea5db76bb08132ffeca5ea581bc2d09c.jpg

Glencoe.jpg.d07f9c92e827ce755fb1fc64b574a24d.jpg

Sandwood.jpg.3a77dc5d9f378fc176231554d69f7531.jpg

achnahaird.jpg.aa76f06efb0e8a4ab56ec3533574a791.jpg

Robinhood - 2013-07-15 11:10 AM

Gwen,

I think there is some (possibly quite innocent and/or inadvertent) scaremongering going on here.

ALL the roads you would need to use to do a good tour of Scotland (West Coast, Islands, etc.) are eminently suitable for your van - I quite happily drive mine on them (as I did my previous, wider, A-Class). Remember, ALL deliveries are made using these roads, and much bigger, wider vehicles use them. The existence of regular passing places makes them considerably more relaxing to drive than narrow two-lane roads.

There are SOME roads that are less than desirable, and whilst I would acknowledge that Crinkly's picture (of a road clearly classified as a minor road and fairly obviously from the off, a challenge - it being classified at the junction as "unsuitable for caravans") is representative of those some roads, I've never felt the need to use one of those in a 'van to fulfil my sightseeing ambitions. (though in fact, if I'm ever to complete the Munros with the most Northerly one, Ben Hope, that particular road may well be one I choose either to cycle or use the car, but it is hardly on a main tourist drag). There will be some roads you wouldn't wish to use, there will, however, be ample opportunity for several six-week sightseeing trips without using those roads.

Lest it seems I'm gilding the lily a bit, two very good examples of eminently driveable side roads you may wish to use for sightseeing (though cycling is good on these) are the West Loch Ewe road from Poolewe (stunning views, and the Arctic Convoy memorial at the end), and the coast road from below Gairloch to Badachro and Redpoint (stunning views of the Hebrides, and entertainment from the Gannet colonies if it's the correct season). Both these are dead-end B roads, with ample parking/turning at the end. These (easily viewable using Street View) are representative of hundreds of such locations on a possible coastal tour.

The roads are fine! Take your 'van (and if you miss out on some remote sites, record them and return some time with the car/caravan with a knowledge of the desired bases). ;-)

As I've said, you'll have to use single-track roads to get views such as these:

Thanks so much for the reassurance.

The discussion started not because I was worrying about roads per se [hadn’t thought about that aspect in truth] but because the usual stuff on the Forum about UK not being motorhome friendly..... and Scotland is [for the moment] in the UK .... and so wondered, as we have the option, whether caravan would be better.

Nonetheless, I have learnt a lot, and the photographs and reports have confirmed my feeling that Scotland would be a Good Place To Visit! And we will use the motorhome.

Cheers

Gwen

Archived