Gas sorted, now solar panel needed.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

So some of you folks have bought solar panels, bewildering array out there, so any recommendations as to supplier / make, looking for something around 100/120 watts for fixed roof mounting, and a suitable solar controller, thanks, Mike.

Techie experts will be along in due course Mike, but in the meantime, my input would be:

1. All that I've read seems to indicate that the difference in output between the two different types of solar panel is not significant nowadays...............in other words, the output of the cheaper type of them has improved a lot, and thus buying a bigger cheap-type one is a better bet than buying a smaller expensive-type one for the same money.

2. Get the biggest one that you can fit on the space available on your roof.

The extra cost of (say) a 120 over an 80 really an't worth worrying about, and there may be times (in shade/in rainy or overcast weather) when the actual output will only be a tiny percentage of theoretical maximum, and you'll thank yourself for having a bigger unit.

For what it's worth, we've got an 75 and a 120 on our MH roof, and all lights inside are LED's, and we really can go literally indefinitely without starting the engine or using EHU.....but that is in Southern Europe which gets a lot more sun, at a higher angle of inclination.

As you have a PVC have a good look at your roof and decide the best option for available space, you may be better to fit 2 smaller panels rather than a 120w maybe an 80 & 40W.

Mine is a cheap one from ebay on a bright day gives more than it's rated output I wouldn't waste your money on an expensive branded one, monocrystalline one are a bit better than polycrystalline.

As for Solar charge regulators worth splashing out on a MPPT type as it will make best use of solar power available.

You may find your on board charger is able the be connected directly to a Solar panel and has built in regulator although probably will not be as efficient as a separate regulator.. The most common way of connecting a Solar charge regulator is direct to the battery but this can upset some on board chargers, need to check with the manufacturer.

Also worth making sure the regulator can also charge the engine battery they often put a trickle charge to the engine battery once the leisure battery is charged.

1A link to company I brought my 80w panel from.

What do you want your solar panel to do for you?

If you just want it to keep the batteries topped up when not in use a 40 to 60 watt panel will do nicely allied to a regulator and a split charging relay to enable it to charge both leisure and engine batteries.

If you use site hook ups a lot and only the odd night or two off mains question whether you even need one at all?

If you never use mains but rarely stay put for more than a day or three question whether an extra leisure battery would be a more cost effective solution to battery capacity?

If you regularly stay camped for longer periods off mains only then do the larger solar panels come into their own in which case the larger the better.

Even then if you camp mainly in warmer climates you won't need as much battery capacity as do those who camp all year and watch a lot of TV!

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well here's the thing, we hope to spend more time away in the van, in the past limited by both gas, and the blow air heating system on chilly nights/mornings sucking both gas and battery away.

. I have two new 85amp batteries, but of course they need to get charged one way or the other hence the need to look at solar. We hate sites with a passion, so we mainly use Aires, in short we aim to be a self sufficient as possible. We have LED lighting, and a low amperage 12 volt TV not that it gets used much, so not much more can be done on the energy saving front. The previous owner had a 1200 mm panel on the van, the brackets of which remain, and I could make use of those if I can source a suitable sized panel.

Worth adding I have had excellent service from Gasit, ordered my gas kit yesterday at 2pm, delivered all correct at 10am this morning, so many thanks to those that suggested them. ;-)

Hey Michael......had a 120 fitted in 2009, spend up to 4 months away, never used sites & it keeps two 110 leisure and the engine battery nicely.

Has never been on leccy in this time even in winter when SUN is low & all runs well, including a 300 inverter....hope this helps ya !

Phil

And the UK address they give is not a full address, they also make this statement, "In the event you need to use a warranty you must talk directly with the manufacturer" not much use if they are shipping you a second-hand panel.

Guest 1footinthegrave

After reading the "Autogas filling problems" is anyone going to tell me they are all a load of crap after I've bought one. :-S

P.S anyone want a brand new refillable bottle, :-S

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-17 4:02 PM

After reading the "Autogas filling problems" is anyone going to tell me they are all a load of crap after I've bought one. :-S

They are not a load of crap, but I do, as I always have, question the true convenience and the alleged cost savings.

Maybe my filling issue was a one off - I don't know - and will not know until I need to fill it again - but I do find the experience unsettling after 50 or so trouble free years of Calor - not to mention the scarcity of filling points abroad when you want one - and the problems of communication with forecourt assistants - who all did their best to help it must be said.

As Rich said earlier,wouldn't a second leisure battery be the first step to take..?

(..if you've the room?)

RE: Bimble Solar..

I've encountered their solar bar/stage many times..

http://www.bimbleinn.com/

...but I must admit, I wasn't aware that they were in the business of flogging solar kit...

Edit: Bl**dy 'ell!...I've crossed posts with Rich again! 8-) (lol)

Regarding the Auto Gas system, its a bit like Electric Powered cars, The object originally as in all business ventures is to sell a product, it employs people, how it actually works in life for the consumer is secondary until the mass market uses it. We considered these gas cylinders some while ago and would not commit to it, possibly due to our age and the little use it would get.

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-07-17 4:16 PM

As Rich said earlier,wouldn't a second leisure battery be the first step to take..?

(..if you've the room?)

RE: Bimble Solar..

I've encountered their solar bar/stage many times..

http://www.bimbleinn.com/

...but I must admit, I wasn't aware that they were in the business of flogging solar kit...

Edit: Bl**dy 'ell!...I've crossed posts with Rich again! 8-) (lol)

Got two already 85 amp, and low wattage 12 volt Tv, and LED lighting throughout

problem is as everyone knows if you go off grid ( think aires in our case) you need to keep them charged, and the hope was having now invested in a refillable gas setup ( despite the rather ill timed hassle posts about filling them ) we could make more use of the blow heating in the cooler days. I know the easy answer would be to make use of sites, but we hate sites with a passion. ;-)

NO - we will wait until you have brought it. :D

lennyhb - 2013-07-17 2:04 PM

Just looked at Bimble site smallest panel is 170W and when you read the small print they are secondhand. Also they try to encourage you to pay by bank transfer which looses you your card protection.

Not a company I would want to deal with.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/66789-good-customer-service-again.html

or cash on collection and they appear to be in Dorset.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-07-17 4:45 PM

NO - we will wait until you have brought it. :D

I already have, want four 6 Kg Calor lites anyone :D

Tracker - 2013-07-17 4:14 PM

They are not a load of crap, but I do, as I always have, question the true convenience and the alleged cost savings.

Maybe my filling issue was a one off - I don't know - and will not know until I need to fill it again - but I do find the experience unsettling after 50 or so trouble free years of Calor - not to mention the scarcity of filling points abroad when you want one - and the problems of communication with forecourt assistants - who all did their best to help it must be said.

What scarcity of filling points, they are all over the place and in any case surely you do not just let it run out before you fill, bit like going to your last pint of fuel before you fill up. Mine lasts about six weeks in summer, after three weeks I check every time I fill with fuel if they have a gas pump and fill if they do. As you say you move every day you spend a lot of time driving so must visit plenty of fuel stations anyway. As for problems filling, what problems I have not had one in five years of use and if anyone has a problem it is usually me. The convenience of the system is massive, as for cost no idea have not lugged bottles around for so long have lost touch with cost of normal gas refills.

rupert123 - 2013-07-17 5:57 PM

What scarcity of filling points, they are all over the place

Certainly in France they are - but not in Northern Spain they ain't - I did look but not a single filling station that we used or passed stocked LPG and in the end we had to drive some distance in a detour to find one, and another, although the third was en route near Santander!!

We went knowing to the area this and if the first pump had worked it would not have mattered - in fact if any of 'em had worked it would not have mattered - as it was it was a close run thing as to whether we ran out or not!!

Henry - are you still with the panel van or have you reverted to a real motorhome yet!

Guest 1footinthegrave
No he flogged it, apparently he did not notice the BIG sliding door on it until after he bought it :D one of the big plusses for us, especially in this warm spell, much better than being cooped in a box I would have thought. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-17 7:41 PM

No he flogged it, apparently he did not notice the BIG sliding door on it until after he bought it :D

You can't blame Henry for that - I nearly missed seeing the sliding door myself as they are so well concealed you would think it was an ordinary panel - after all it is a panel van!

Guest 1footinthegrave
He'll no doubt tell you himself, but I believe he got a very good deal when he swapped it, someone must love them including me of course. ;-) just wish I could run to a LWB X250 with single beds, and no cushion shuffling :-(

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-17 7:47 PM

He'll no doubt tell you himself, but I believe he got a very good deal when he swapped it, someone must love them including me of course. ;-) just wish I could run to a LWB X250 with single beds, and no cushion shuffling :-(

Yeah I understand - that layout works well for us too!

Archived