Gas sorted, now solar panel needed.

Guest 1footinthegrave

We have a 75w Alden pane which we got off Ebay many years ago for a very good price and have now had it on our last 3 vans (moving it each time). We also have twin leisure batteries to get the most benefit out of the solar power.

We too use aires or wild camp all the time so not running out of power (or gas!) is important, hence why we have the solar (and refillable gas bottle). Your usage of power seems to be even less than ours, which is quite low, so whilst I can appreciate some saying get the biggest one you can fit, in your case it might not be necessary plus, as you've already got the brackets on your roof, it would made most sense for you to see what you can get that fits, minimum 75w I would say. As for the difference between mono and poly panels, Clive (Mott-Gotobed) in the past stated that there's nothing much to choose between them so don't worry about it, just don't get the really old fashioned type that have 'lines' running down them, rather than individual squarish cells, as they are not very efficient and are heavy (Maplins still stock the old type!).

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm from Bimble Solar so thought i'd quickly step in as you've been talking about us.... we offer both new and used panels, which is clearly described in our listings. You can pay by credit card/paypal if you want but we also offer bank transfer discounts to keep it cheaper for you as there are no credit card fees (so we pass the saving on to you). As our site says you are welcome to come and collect from us in Dorset and can pay cash on collection if you want as well. We've been running a solar powered festival venue for 10 years and take pride in helping people get solar cheaply.

I fitted one of these Last year, prior to going to France for a Month, Both habitation Batteries were kept full charged also the Engine Battery was also kept full charged by the one Solar Panel, I bought the kit from Photonic-Universe,  had to buy Silkaflex as well. we were so please with the system we bought another one to fit to our Recent acquired Motorhome as soon as weather permits .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120W-12V-dual-battery-solar-panel-charging-kit-motorhome-camper-caravan-boat-/111073984299?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item19dc867f2b

Archived