Degree in Caravan Studies

Gwendolyn

pelmetman - 2013-08-08 6:40 PM

Naturally I would never say all public sector workers are idle, or just working their ticket ;-)..................but I suspect the there's a lot more in the public sector than there is in the private, apart from large organisations that can afford to carry a bit of dead wood >:-)...............

Well, since I spent most of my working life in the public sector I cannot say what the proportions are - but my wife spent all her working life in the private sector and my children, my sister and many of my friends are (or have been) in the private sector and they tell tales of just as many idiots as you might find anywhere, so I do not share your suspicions. Apart from anything else, what does it achieve to pretend that the majority of idiots are in one sector or another?

Guest pelmetman
John 47 - 2013-08-08 6:46 PM

Naturally I would never say all public sector workers are idle, or just working their ticket ;-)..................but I suspect the there's a lot more in the public sector than there is in the private, apart from large organisations that can afford to carry a bit of dead wood >:-)...............

Well, since I spent most of my working life in the public sector I cannot say what the proportions are - but my wife spent all her working life in the private sector and my children, my sister and many of my friends are (or have been) in the private sector and they tell tales of just as many idiots as you might find anywhere, so I do not share your suspicions. Apart from anything else, what does it achieve to pretend that the majority of idiots are in one sector or another?

Of course being an equal opportunities country, I suspect useless employee's are not confined to the public sector ;-)..................but usually in the private sector if you have to many you go bust 8-)................where as the public sector finds promoting them the best way to move them on >:-)...............as their cost is born by the taxpayer *-)

Guest Had Enough

Go easy on him John. He's going through a very stressful period. Very soon he has to go into hospital to have his gallbladder removed. Can you imagine how irksome this must be?

His life will be in the hands of, amongst others, a surgeon and an anaesthetist. Not only are these very clever people who've been through the 'education industry' and, even worse, been to university, but they are public sector workers. Aaagh!

There'll be dozens of them, nurses who all have degrees these days, pharmacists, designers of the drugs that will keep him alive and the managers who'll run the show.

I doubt he'll survive it. All we can say is, be strong Pelmetman and lie back and think of England! Even better, do you have any mates who are self-employed plumbers? If so let them whip it out for you! ;-)

pelmetman - 2013-08-08 6:57 PM

Of course being an equal opportunities country, I suspect useless employee's are not confined to the public sector ;-)..................but usually in the private sector if you have to many you go bust 8-)................where as the public sector finds promoting them the best way to move them on >:-)...............as their cost is born by the taxpayer *-)

I suspect there is a lot of truth in what you say (and I have seen it happen in the public sector) but there are plenty in the private sector - and they do indeed go bust on a regular basis!

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-08-08 7:01 PM

His life will be in the hands of, amongst others, a surgeon and an anaesthetist. Not only are these very clever people who've been through the 'education industry' and, even worse, been to university, but they are public sector workers. Aaagh!

Quite correct Frank ;-).....................but I have every confidence in the Polish work ethic to do a good job :D....................its the bit afterwards run by the NHS I'm not so keen on 8-)

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2013-08-08 7:07 PM

........but I have every confidence in the Polish work ethic to do a good job

So you are going to use a plumber?

Had Enough - 2013-08-08 7:01 PM

Go easy on him John. He's going through a very stressful period. Very soon he has to go into hospital to have his gallbladder removed. Can you imagine how irksome this must be?

There'll be dozens of them, nurses who all have degrees these days, pharmacists, designers of the drugs that will keep him alive and the managers who'll run the show.

I doubt he'll survive it. All we can say is, be strong Pelmetman and lie back and think of England! Even better, do you have any mates who are self-employed plumbers? If so let them whip it out for you! ;-)

Dare I say you are being very optimistic. Indeed many in the NHS have been to university but one now has to ask actually where? As for thinking of England possibly better to think of any country apart from England as that is more likely closer to home for the people looking after him. Even up here north of the Wall where according to all English, we live in the land of milk and honey, going into hospital is now a very risky business. Whether you actually get treated for the right ailment, or catch another abnoxious disease while being there, is a matter of more luck than good judgement. In addition as most NHS hospitals are now chock full to the gunnels of patients who have no where else to go, and A&E Depts full of drunks and various other nationalities, many patients are being put to private hospitals for treatment, which may or may not be a good deal for you. It has become such a lottery that it is farcical.

As for whether all this is due to the service being a publically run one, or subject to commercial pressure is another matter. Probably a bit of both. When liability is not a pressure on you, then possibly one's actions may fall a bit short of what is required.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-08-08 7:14 PM

pelmetman - 2013-08-08 7:07 PM

........but I have every confidence in the Polish work ethic to do a good job

So you are going to use a plumber?

Well I'm not sure if he'll check out my U bend at the same time :-S...............but he was most definitely Polish, and judging by his weight problem hadn't spent much time picking veg :D..............but obesity seems to be quite common in the NHS :-S

Tourism Parks are a multi million pound industry which employ people at all levels, get in at the right level and you could be made, trust me, the family of the second richest person I know (around 60 on uk rich list) made their money from these. but then I suppose it's natural to deride what you don't understand.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2013-08-08 7:40 PM

Tourism Parks are a multi million pound industry which employ people at all levels, get in at the right level and you could be made, trust me, the family of the second richest person I know (around 60 on uk rich list) made their money from these. but then I suppose it's natural to deride what you don't understand.

I'm not deriding the business Colin..............I'm deriding the education industry ;-)..................years ago they managed to kill off apprenticeships *-)...............ie people taught how to do a job by people who knew how to do it B-)...............and replaced it with people who had read a book on how to do it ......................and now 30 years later DC is trying to re introduce apprenticeships *-).....................trouble is the people who know how to do it are not qualified to teach, coz they ain't got a degree >:-)................

I'm pleased to claim I am totally unqualified in anything B-)...................and I'm self taught in pelmet making and pouffe stuffing :D

pelmetman - 2013-08-08 8:41 PM

I'm not deriding the business Colin..............I'm deriding the education industry ;-)..................years ago they managed to kill off apprenticeships *-)...............ie people taught how to do a job by people who knew how to do it B-)...............and replaced it with people who had read a book on how to do it ......................and now 30 years later DC is trying to re introduce apprenticeships *-).....................trouble is the people who know how to do it are not qualified to teach, coz they ain't got a degree >:-)................

I'm pleased to claim I am totally unqualified in anything B-)...................and I'm self taught in pelmet making and pouffe stuffing :D

I absolutely agree with you on apprenticeships but that had nothing to do with the education industry. Blame the organ grinder not the monkey!

Archiesgrandad - 2013-08-09 10:54 AM

Never mind the quality, feel the width. We now have vast hoards of university and college lecturers, employed on good contracts by the state, with good pensions and not too much work, most of whom couldn't get a job in the local cake shop in our world.

AGD

And the local cake shop owner probably couldn't crack the problem of nuclear fusion, so your point is? (lol)

Incidentally, university lecturers are not employed by the State.

Guest pelmetman
John 47 - 2013-08-09 10:56 AM

Never mind the quality, feel the width. We now have vast hoards of university and college lecturers, employed on good contracts by the state, with good pensions and not too much work, most of whom couldn't get a job in the local cake shop in our world.

AGD

And the local cake shop owner probably couldn't crack the problem of nuclear fusion, so your point is? (lol)

No they're employed by the university ;-)..................which is funded by the state :D

pelmetman - 2013-08-09 11:56 AM

AGD

No they're employed by the university ;-)..................which is funded by the state :D

Less than 20% of University funding is from the State. The irony of all this is that foreign students are far more profitable for universities - they could survive a lot better if they were allowed to fill up with foreign students rather than home-grown ones! But that will not happen because foreign students make up a large proportion of the immigration statistics and the government is desperate to get those down (especially since many of them are Muslim!). Thus it is the anti-immigration lobby that is causing the universities to need State money. So you see, it's all onefoot's fault :-D

Guest Had Enough

AGD

Do you just make things up as you go along?

Guest pelmetman
John 47 - 2013-08-09 12:21 PM

AGD

Less than 20% of University funding is from the State. The irony of all this is that foreign students are far more profitable for universities - they could survive a lot better if they were allowed to fill up with foreign students rather than home-grown ones! But that will not happen because foreign students make up a large proportion of the immigration statistics and the government is desperate to get those down (especially since many of them are Muslim!). Thus it is the anti-immigration lobby that is causing the universities to need State money. So you see, it's all onefoot's fault :-D

It would be nice if the state funded 20% of my business ;-) ..................I'd be able to have more time off :D

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-08-09 12:31 PM

AGD

Do you just make things up as you go along?

I only make to order :D............

pelmetman - 2013-08-09 12:47 PM

It would be nice if the state funded 20% of my business ;-) ..................I'd be able to have more time off :D

I think you'll find that even the State needs pelmets (how can any of us survive without them - letalone the pouffes? ) so they quite probably are (lol) (lol)

Archived