return to luggers

tonyg3nwl

Hi , after an absence of nearly 3 years, we are about to rejoin the lugger community having agreed a sale of caravan and purchase of a secondhand Autotrail Tracker es.

Hopefully, we collect in about 1 week,. I see elsewhere on forum solution for eliminating waste tank odours.

When we did the test drive, the stench was overwhelming, and it transpired that the previous owner had not emptied the tank.

The dealer has agreed to remove the tank and steam clean it as part of handover prep. Will this be enough we wonder, so reading the forum elswhere has already primed me with tank cleaner, drain unblocker etc.

There are other issues to resolve, as the reversing camera may be faulty, but I see that the display is also a tv. But..analogue tv has disappeared so that explains why tv wont work. Does anyone know how to check out the camera.. There also seems to be an additional aerial type socket on the lower rear skirt adjacent to the access to spare wheel. Is this original or someone, s addition? There is also what seems to be a satellite aerial connector mounted on nearside rear lower corner below the door, any suggestions?

Reversing sensors exist, but again have to be sorted ..

On the upsides, it has a solar panel sytem roof mounted, and twin leisure batteries which seem ok, time will

tell.Also, 6 kilo lightweight gas bottle, mains hookup leads, levelling blocks, silver screens, as well as all the normal cooker, water heater, watertank, space heater, etc etc.

Handover scheduled for monday next.

Tony g3nwl.

Reversing sensors are fitted, but again have to be checked out. Are they original fit or aftermarket fit.van is 2004 model.

Hi Tony,

I'll try and answer as many of your questions as i can so here goes...

A 2004 Tracker ES would have had reversing sensors as part of its ES package (our Cheyenne has) and a reversing camera only became an option in 2005 in place of the sensors. My guess would be that as you have both the camera is an aftermarket fit.

To help identify the year of yours you can download the relevant years brochures from the Auto-Trail website... Link.

It may not be appropriate if your camera is aftermarket but on the factory fit camera you have to turn on the 'obserview' unit in one of the top lockers before the reversing camera and screen will work, something similar may apply to your system. Check for hidden switches and try to follow wiring through to ascertain what is connected.

I also note you say the reversing sensors do not work, the unit for these is behind the drivers seat on the front of the wooden bulkhead. They pick up power from the reverse light circuit but I'm afraid I don't know where from physically. Perhaps they where disconnected when the camera was fitted?

Finally I wouldn't have thought you'd need to go to the trouble of steam cleaning the waste tank, in fact this could even possibly damage it! I'd be more inclined to use a proprietary waste cleaner and fill the tank with clean water and the cleaner and go for a good drive, then repeat a couple of times.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. The dealer has been informed and hopefully come up with the answers before the scheduled handover on monday. Watch this space!

No doubt there will be other teething problems as well.

I have found out that it wasn, t the previous owner that failed to empty the tank, but one of the staff used it over a weekend just before we became interested in purchase.. possibly at a trade show.?

Tonyg3nwl.

As you are purchasing from a dealer then get them to show you everything working before you leave. It is your rights to have the machine working correctly.

Curious to know how they plan to steam clean the tank unless they are removing it first. Maybe they feel shoving a nozzle up the discharge will do the trick.

Others may know better but to my mind a tank of that vintage is likely to have had gunge collecting over the years and it may be that you are unable to get it back to pristine condition. If it becomes unbearable then a replacement tank may be the only answer .

I had a Mercedes UK Made coachbuilt in the 80’s with underslung waste tank and we discovered that the outlet was about half an inch above the floor so we could never empty it completely, so it invariably meant a good dose of bleach every so often.

As a 'tugger' nowadays I no longer have the 'luxury' of a built in waste tank. My options range from the cheap and cheerfull bucket to my posh specific waste water tank. This is provided with wheels and handle so moving it to the disposal point is not arduous. However, although I empty it regularly and clean it each time i do notice that after a season or 2 the inside becomes stained and probably slightly pitted. I also note that if I leave it damp and not in use for some time when I open it up the smell tells me that bacteria have been at work. This is despite disinfectant and bleach being regularly used.

Therefore I suspect with a fixed tank things will be even more difficult to clean properly and you may actually find the smell is worse when the tank is empty. One option that may be worth considering if all else fails, is to see if you can fit a waste trap on the inlet side of the tank similar to something under your sink. The pool of water stops smells coming back up the drain and it will work just as well in a motorhome. I believe some new models have them fitted as standard. Of course if you do follow this idea then make sure you drain it in winter if the van is left unoccupied or frost damage may occur.

It is just a suggestion.

Hi sorry to say we wont be returning just yet. Purchase aborted, so we still have the caravan.

Planned to goto Shepton show, and see what options that brings.

Looking at ones similar to starfire size or 20ft overall if possible.

Still hoping, but not certain.

Tonyg3nwl

JudgeMental - 2013-08-15 5:39 PMsounds lovely..I would rather have my teeth pulled without anesthetic than become a tugger! :D

Actually I think he is a tugger now but about to become a Motor homer  or have I got that wrong?I have alternated between Caravans and Motor homes several times  ,I now have a Motorhome, I loved the Caravans I had, never had any problems towing or anything else for that matter ,I also loved the Motor homes we have had ,so it is really all down to choice I think.

JudgeMental - 2013-08-15 5:39 PM

sounds lovely..I would rather have my teeth pulled without anesthetic than become a tugger! :D

up to 4 weeks ago I said exactly the same thing. Funny how ones ideas change over night :-D

Archived