Let's Hear It For The UK

Gwendolyn

WA Michael - 2013-09-18 9:25 AM

As a final clincher the prices charged in what passes for campsites are astronomical. A dirty old field with almost no facillities costing 20 pounds, forget it!....

There's nowt like a bit of gross generalisation, is there....(lol)

(So... I suppose if someone comes across a pricey,poor quality restaurant, that would then mean that they should draw the conclusion that ALL UK restaurants were of similar quality/price..?.... :-S )

Although I'd agree that some 'sites/pitches, may/will be overpriced (especially for what can be, at the wrong time of year, little more than muddy fields), we have also come across nice little CLs/pubsites for a tenner or less..

Last year we stayed over at a CC CL ,two minutes walk into Chedder..and that was 7quid a night(in mid July).It was whilst down there the previous year,that we got chatting with a couple (and who put us onto this CL)..and they, at that time, had just been spending a couple of months touring the UK,using CLs/CSs/pubsites etc.

They were telling us how they'd come across some that were around a fiver a night(one at Padstow was supposedly only 4 quid!)...

Although I dare say,there are probably some expensive(and sh*tty) 'sites on the Continent as well.... ;-)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, lets hear for Caernarvon ( in the UK but not if some of the locals would have it). The main square is an absolutely outrageous and deceitful parking trap. Huge square, taxis parked down one side, disabled parking on the other side. Square divided into areas with different surfaces. No road markings, no "NO PARKING" signs.

The whole square is, as I found out to my cost designated as a Clearway and there are 6" dia. signs on the lamposts at the corners of the square. Not visible to me parking in the middle of one of the sides of the square, between I might add, a council van whose driver was in the bank and a police car whose driver was in a building society. Ask most people what they think a clearway is and I am sure that an open, paved square about 100m by 200m does not spring to mind. To make things worse, as it is a so called clearway, the wardens are not obliged to give any leeway.

Result, a £35 fine for a three minute stop.

Needless to say I will not be returning to Caernarvon and, hence, North Wales and Anglesey.

I await the usual outcry from the holier than thou crowd saying thta I shouldn't have parked where I did. The government has legislated against the cowboys who put tiny signs out of sight, now they need to turn their attention to local authorities who abuse their powers by doing the same thing.

mikejkay - 2013-09-19 2:26 PM

..I await the usual outcry from the holier than thou crowd saying that I shouldn't have parked where I did.

Well,in view of what you've said, I can't see many saying that you SHOULD have parked there... (lol)

(..if the signs are tucked into the corners, could you not make some enquiries, as to whether they are suitably positioned?)...

I checked. For a clearway repeater signs, which these were, are required every 200m or so. My complaint is that the square was designated a clearway so that the LA did not have to put signs up and, thus, lure people into parking there. The LA van and the police car were almost like decoys for duck shooting!

The devious s*ds!...

It's years since I've been through/into Caernarvon(..and that was probably on the bike)..so I had look on Google Streetview and I see what you mean, if you happen to miss the Clearway signs on the way in, all you are then met with, is an array of cars all parked up(..and they turn out to be taxis and "blue badgers" :-S )

As you say,it appears as much a deliberate "trap" as anything.. :-S

If they really don't want folk to park there, then they'd make sure there was clear signage around the parimeter and/or on the road...

this thread was posted on a m,home forum, not visit britain website, my posts are directed at the difference between parking my car & my m,home; taxed the same,it,s same as a lg wheelbase m/home not 28m lg, in a carpark or on the road, not on sites. so if you have info on carparks that accept m,homes post them. acording to boumouths

carparking boss any vechicle converted for sleeping is only aloud to park on the road for loading & unloading, i have no idea if this the law but this is what he told me, so share your info on which towns or citys have carparks i can visit without getting a ticket. anybody with half a brain can find a excellent sites anywhere in this country, share your places where m,home parking is free or paid for when visiting the local town or village

just spent 2 days watching the tour of britain, yesterday had a great spot on a hill, very close up. today couldn, t get to where we wanted to go, so watched them on the a31 near Farnham, downside they where doing nearly 70kph, 9hr day, gone in 10secs, but atmosphere was great and on both days we were allowed to park in places that normally we couldn,t.

• 1 month later...
pelmetman - 2013-09-09 7:00 PM

Muswell - 2013-09-09 6:20 PM

rupert123 - 2013-09-09 5:54 PM

Muswell - 2013-09-09 5:38 PM

Rump steak has more flavour.

Not sure about that. I do know you can get rumps that are more suited to shoe leather, fillet every time. Incidently where do the best steaks in Europe come from, the UK of course, Welsh Black Beef.

It is true rump can be tough. But Mr Pugh, here on the Welsh Border, who chooses his stock while it is still walking will sell you a rump steak that is as tender as you'll ever want. Unless you have no teeth. Flavour-wise it is rump 1, sirloin 2 and fillet 3

Another strand to this thread :-D

Rump OK, T bone toooo 70's, Sirloin Overrated, Fillet Over priced ;-).....................Ribeye is the steak for steak lovers B-)............cooked very rare..........topped with Stilton crumbed or melted :->

At last someone who has got it right. Properly cooked Ribeye is the king of steaks. We buy them from our local butcher before we leave and take them with us frozen. He is a big jolly man and when you see the size of his steaks one can see why.

mikejkay - 2013-09-19 2:26 PM

Yes, lets hear for Caernarvon ( in the UK but not if some of the locals would have it). The main square is an absolutely outrageous and deceitful parking trap. Huge square, taxis parked down one side, disabled parking on the other side. Square divided into areas with different surfaces. No road markings, no "NO PARKING" signs.

The whole square is, as I found out to my cost designated as a Clearway and there are 6" dia. signs on the lamposts at the corners of the square. Not visible to me parking in the middle of one of the sides of the square, between I might add, a council van whose driver was in the bank and a police car whose driver was in a building society. Ask most people what they think a clearway is and I am sure that an open, paved square about 100m by 200m does not spring to mind. To make things worse, as it is a so called clearway, the wardens are not obliged to give any leeway.

Result, a £35 fine for a three minute stop.

Needless to say I will not be returning to Caernarvon and, hence, North Wales and Anglesey.

I await the usual outcry from the holier than thou crowd saying thta I shouldn't have parked where I did. The government has legislated against the cowboys who put tiny signs out of sight, now they need to turn their attention to local authorities who abuse their powers by doing the same thing.

You have only yourself to blame for going there in the first place. It's a tip. WE went once but never again.

Guest 1footinthegrave

The ONLY place I stop in the UK is Dover just prior to getting the ferry. ;-)

Anyway to be fair I think the Romanians and Bulgarians come January will agree with the threads title. :-S

Archived