Let's Hear It For The UK

Gwendolyn

It cannot be ALL bad, surely? So I thought I’d start a thread for POSITIVE experiences of Motorhoming in the UK. [This is prompted in part by the Cornwall thread, and by the Get a Life Thread which was also prompted by that, but isn’t that helpful really.]

Now we KNOW that France is better because it has Aires; that’s a ”given” so can we avoid that old debate, please????

Opening reflection is this: much as I love France there are areas where I would hesitate to go in my current motorhome. But that is to do with topography. Much like parts of Devon / Cornwall / and, where I live, Pembrokeshire. The part of Brittany I love most has tiny lanes leading down to creeks and small harbours where we buy oysters…. Have travelled there in a car and in our first small-ish campervan. Not sure we’d go now. So even France has, for me, no go areas in a motorhome. It’s not all perfect.

OK, so given we avoid that kind of topography in a motorhome, what HAS worked for us in the UK?

We had a brilliant trip last November. We visited places during the day as we travelled from site to site. And NO we didn’t book. Not in November.

We began at the CC Baltic Wharf site in Bristol [gig at Colston Hall], then we travelled slowly Northwards, taking in the Malvern Hills for a couple of nights.

We went the Black Country Museum en route from Malvern, heading for a CC site near Birmingham for the night.

The CC site in the grounds of Chatsworth made visiting that place easy.

A site at Castelton was on the very edge of the pretty village.

As well as Bristol, other CC sites [heresy to some, but I am trying to be positive here] are on the outskirts of cities. We stayed at Durham and used public transport to explore the city. From there we went to Beamish.

We crossed eastwards, slowly, over a few days, taking in some National Trust Places [lovely venison casserole for lunch at one] before stopping for the nights.

The C&CC site at Bowness is perfectly placed for exploring using the lake steamers.

It is not all negativity. I emailed places like the Black Country Museum and Beamish to ask about motorhome parking. And guess what, one of them replied saying, “If you want to park and stay overnight just let the car park attendant know.” [i THINK it was Beamish].

So, an experience which is far from the hassled days, which end up with us sitting on a CL miles from anywhere, depicted else-thread. And we are going to do another UK tour this coming November.

So, let’s hear it for the UK. Positive stories and ideas only please!

Cheers

Gwen [in Pollyanna mode]

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Currently at a nice pub site in Derbyshire, by a canal, nice nosh £10 for two curries.............£11 a night including leccy £7 without ;-)...................whats not to like B-)

I am not knocking the UK as a holiday destination Gwen - never have done - but having had too many years of faffing about booking into sites, grumbled at by despots for having the temerity to arrive after they had done their books for the day, given the worst pitch on the site and generally felt unwelcome we decided several years ago that it was easier to confine our UK use of the van to the occasional unbooked weekend or holiday site meet when the weather is favourable and spend most holidays abroad where the sun shines more often and we can wander at will with plenty of both daytime and overnight parking options.

It must be said that CL/CS camping is a little easier but most are on grass which can be entertaining in an English summer and you still have to seek out the owner and sometimes register whereas with an Aire you drive in, handbrake on, engine off, kettle on and we are now kinda hooked on the simplicity of it all.

For those who prefer to staycation I wish you all many happy holidays.

So it's just a change of attitude for us and if the UK ever decides to change it's attitude towards Motorcaravanners then the UK will get more of our cash - simples!

We love touring the UK, we just don't get the chance very often. France? you can keep it, full of Froggies and Garlic munchers! We have visited mainland Europe, a few years ago we toured southern Holland and down to Dusseldorf and back over a two week spell, thoroughly enjoyed it but we still like Great Britain!

First week of August this year we went donw to Cmbridge for a friends 50th birthday then sought to return to west mids via the Cotswolds. Searched internet and found what looked like a good site ajoining a pub called "the Norman Knight" all looked good although a bit pricey for a 5 van site at £16.50 a night but it looked good. So we phoned and phoned and phoned to book a pitch but just got an answerphone which didn't even say they'd phone back if we left a number. anyway we meandered our way across to this wonderfull sounding idyll to be greeted by the cleaner having a fag out the back "they're not here, they don't oen Monday and Tuesday afternoons". So I said we were looking to stop for three nights, "not sure what time they'll be back"! So we waited, had a cuppa and waited some more, then I had a mooch around and noticed a sign saying "Caravan Club CL, Members only!" No mention of this on their website!

So we trundled up to Moreton in Marsh where the CC site could let us have one night at members rate of £26 or the three nights we wanted for £108! To be fair they did suggest another CC site just out of Moreton or a private site (Fosseway Farm) on the outskirts so we went for the private site first, £14 a night, help yourself, no details required just pitch, relax and enjoy. Facilities were a tad rudimentary but perfectly functional and it was wonderfully relaxing and just half a mile from the town centre.

We don't get the opportunity to use CC sites often enough to warrant membership, likewise the C&CC so private sites or off site camping work for us but overall we love touring in the UK!

D.

With regards to the cs mallarky of finding owner and grass etc this is Not always the case. To stay on ours you ring Mrs ips she gives you gate code you let yourself in choice of 3 hard pitches or on grass if you prefer pick an envelope from arrivals box fill in your details post with payment into payment box. When you leave lock gate job done.

Not meant as an advert just pointing out that some cs or cl are just as easy as an Aires

I've got to this age and I am still amazed and fascinated by the places I have found in the UK. OK the weather isn't always the best, but I don't like being too warm. I'm sure I'll die before discovering all this island's little gems.

If you're not happy about the way this country operates the do something about it! You vote these idiots into power so let them know what you think! Voting with your feet does no good, you still pay UK taxes. If you're not happy about UK sites (prices, facilities etc.) then tell them and tell them that you won't be back!

THis country is in a mess but you can help by supporting UK businesses, not by going over the channel and sticking your snout into a trough of cheap plonk! Do your bit!

stop being so British! as the wise obsever Victoria Wood once said - 'Last time I went (by rail) there were a couple across the aisle having sex. Of course, this being a British train, nobody said anything. Then they finished, they both lit up a cigarette and this woman stood up and said, "Excuse me, I think you'll find this is a non-smoking compartment." '

I never go abroad. Spent a lot of my working life abroad so it is not a novelty anymore.

I have found this forum invaluable. All the grumps are lumped together and discuss their movements. I am now safe in the knowledge that I will not bump into any of you because I have tailored my camping to suit. :D

Gwendolyn, I have nothing against you but your OP sounded just like one a tugger would write. We discuss where we are going on our next trip. We have 3 choices, North, South or West (we would need a boat to go East). :D No booking of sites, the only ones we use are THS.

So far this year.......numerous stays in the New Forest on Camping in the Forest sites....(booked 6 weekends including one 3 night stop for £93.00), a nice site on the Norfolk Broads for a week (camping cheques so a real bargain), Cannock Chase CCC site for long weekend.   All stays so far have been very pleasant and taken us to places we would otherwise not have seen in this lovely country of ours by either cycling or touring in the Smart car we occasionally 'A' frame with us.

Yes they are all 'pay' sites but in the grand scheme of things, whilst I like company (sometimes and at the time of my choosing) it is the closeness of units at 'aires' that would put me off using them.

However it wouldn't be keeping the 'spirit' of MMM forum posting if there wasn't a 'whinge' and here's the loaded gun:

On every site...yes every site there were irresponsible dog owners......bloody things, the dogs that is, barking at all hours and owners doing nothing to put a stop to it.  Add to that dogs not on leads and folks wonder why there's animosity towards dogs.  In reality it's the owners who should be the focal point for said animosity.

Right...whinge over..........duty performed. We shall continue to 'explore' this lovely island of ours regardless of the 'motorhome friendliness' or otherwise and have a wonderful time.

Oh and on each and every site visited we have yet to meet any of the 'site Gestapo' wardens we read about. 

747 - 2013-08-22 8:41 PM

I never go abroad. Spent a lot of my working life abroad so it is not a novelty anymore.

I have found this forum invaluable. All the grumps are lumped together and discuss their movements. I am now safe in the knowledge that I will not bump into any of you because I have tailored my camping to suit. :D

Gwendolyn, I have nothing against you but your OP sounded just like one a tugger would write. We discuss where we are going on our next trip. We have 3 choices, North, South or West (we would need a boat to go East). :D No booking of sites, the only ones we use are THS.

How discerning of you! We are Still Tuggers Too!! Have had a motorhome for 3 years - and by heck have we used it! 6 months every year in Europe and, in between, use it in UK.

But we still have our caravan too. And use it now and again when circumstances dictate.

What I was attempting to do in the OP was to show that motorhoming can be as enjoyable as caravanning / camping in the UK. And to open up a positive discussion. Trying to counter the “UK is not motorhome friendly / I’m going to France / I’ll spend my money where I’m welcome” kind of posts I’ve become accustomed to reading.

SO>>> keep the good vibes coming! I’m copying and pasting this lot into my “travel file”.

Thanks,

Gwen

There's a lovely site in centre of sea houses in Northumberland . It even has a pool and gym the pub across the road called the ship does lovely food and the bar is very quaint: overlooking harbour where you can go over to Farne islands to seal watch or walk along beautifull beach to bamburgh castle ... Lovely! Nice chippy too .

Also if you go to Pitlochry that's a lovely little town with motorhome parking there's a salmon run nice eating places and interesting shops ,then you can drive on to Blair castle the campsite is lovely and spacious , and you can walk to castle very impressive and hear the piper on the hour (best carrot cake I've ever eaten in deli in Pitlochry)pp

And let's not forget that the UK still includes Scotland - and hopefully there aren't enough nutters to vote otherwise!

We're still waiting to collect our first MH, but have caravanned extensively in England. Cornwall, beautiful but too many people. Lake District, ditto.

For hills and coasts, I have yet to find anywhere to come close to NW Scotland - so please all of you stay away and keep it nice and quiet!

Just returned from Naburn Lock Caravan Site on the banks of the River Ouse just six miles from the centre of the fantastic city of York, which can be reached by bus from the gate, river taxi or level cycle path which crosses the race track on the 6 furlong start post. We spent a couple hours yesterday watching the races completely free. It is Ebor week.

The site itself is immaculate in all ways and quiet apart from the sound of the water bubbling over the wear next to the lock. Well worth the £19 in high season.

A slightly off topic point. The site is looked after completely by the owners a lovely couple who are always busy and keep it immaculate, whereas the C&CC site we were on at Keswick a few weeks back had 6 couples looking after it and it was scruffy and not as clean as it should have been.

We love touring Europe and we do for around 8 weeks every year but equally we love finding good sites in the UK . The UK is more expensive than France but that's the way it is. It is still cheaper than some other European countries,

Everybody has different ideals about what they want from their van don't they? We consider ours to be like a big caravan but without the towcar . Which is great cos your not towing but which means you have no transport from your site... Doesn't bother us we usually find somewhere enroute then move on and pitch up and up to now have found some amazing places in the uk haven't tried abroad yet but am sure we will.off to sidmouth to see the donkeys in a couple of weeks that's a lovely site and if you love donkeys it's a lovely place to walk to from campsite and then walk around very relaxing: pp

Pampam - 2013-08-22 10:20 PM

Everybody has different ideals about what they want from their van don't they? We consider ours to be like a big caravan but without the towcar . Which is great cos your not towing but which means you have no transport from your site... Doesn't bother us we usually find somewhere enroute then move on and pitch up and up to now have found some amazing places in the uk haven't tried abroad yet but am sure we will.off to sidmouth to see the donkeys in a couple of weeks that's a lovely site and if you love donkeys it's a lovely place to walk to from campsite and then walk around very relaxing: pp

We're the same - work dictates I can't stray too far. Looking forward to getting an A-frame fitted to the Roadster. Tried the bikes - wasn't a good idea for us - we were a danger to other road users and having the two largest chihuahuas in the world in the front baskets didn't help

Oh dear Gwen, this is going to go down well with the lets all go to France and camp in the free car parks crowd. We to love touring in the UK, just got back from three and a bit weeks in the inner and outer Hebrides. We did book one site, at Moffat C&CC site, no need really as was not full, also stayed here on the way home without booking, funny the wardens did not seem to mind a bit. Did not book one other site including the C & CC site on Skye and the CC site at Oban, again nobody questioned this at either site. On the Outer Hebrides just turned up, never a problem, usually nobody their just a note to pitch up and someone would be round at some point to collect the cash, bit like they do in France, strange that. It rained for one day in the time away. One thing to all the doom mongers their were lots of M/H's from euroland, we saw loads of Germans and Dutch a couple of Swiss and even a French van, in fact we saw more euro vans on this trip than we have ever seen Brits in Europe on one trip. It would appear they are catching on to the delights of the UK, I have noticed the same in North Wales this year. Another thing most seemed to be staying on sites, they obviously realise things are done differently in the UK, as indeed they are in many other euro countries so allow for it. People can adapt, well most can although I do wonder at times, and you need to compromise according to the country you are in, if you cannot do this you are stuck with France, nothing wrong with that we love France but nice to get around a bit. As we drove into Moffat noticed a carpark on the left as you go in, both times we went their in this carpark were vans parked up for the night, Brits pretending to wildcamp I guess, sad really.

Pampam - 2013-08-22 9:15 PM

There's a lovely site in centre of sea houses in Northumberland . It even has a pool and gym the pub across the road called the ship does lovely food and the bar is very quaint: overlooking harbour where you can go over to Farne islands to seal watch or walk along beautifull beach to bamburgh castle ... Lovely! Nice chippy too .

You will need to book a meal at the Ship well before you want a meal as the competition is packing in. This is because the Black Swan will no longer do meals after September/October, the Chef is emigrating. Shame really, the meals were excellent.

rupert123 - 2013-08-22 10:32 PM

Oh dear Gwen, this is going to go down well with the lets all go to France and camp in the free car parks crowd. We to love touring in the UK, just got back from three and a bit weeks in the inner and outer Hebrides. We did book one site, at Moffat C&CC site, no need really as was not full, also stayed here on the way home without booking, funny the wardens did not seem to mind a bit. Did not book one other site including the C & CC site on Skye and the CC site at Oban, again nobody questioned this at either site. On the Outer Hebrides just turned up, never a problem, usually nobody their just a note to pitch up and someone would be round at some point to collect the cash, bit like they do in France, strange that. It rained for one day in the time away. One thing to all the doom mongers their were lots of M/H's from euroland, we saw loads of Germans and Dutch a couple of Swiss and even a French van, in fact we saw more euro vans on this trip than we have ever seen Brits in Europe on one trip. It would appear they are catching on to the delights of the UK, I have noticed the same in North Wales this year. Another thing most seemed to be staying on sites, they obviously realise things are done differently in the UK, as indeed they are in many other euro countries so allow for it. People can adapt, well most can although I do wonder at times, and you need to compromise according to the country you are in, if you cannot do this you are stuck with France, nothing wrong with that we love France but nice to get around a bit. As we drove into Moffat noticed a carpark on the left as you go in, both times we went their in this carpark were vans parked up for the night, Brits pretending to wildcamp I guess, sad really.

Now now Rupert, I didn't want to open up 'the France is better' stuff. We love going to France, like you. And other European places. 6 months each year over there. But love the UK too.

So just want to compile a list of POSITIVE experiences, for reference, now that we tend to use the motorhome more than the caravan.

BTW - Pembrokeshire seems to have been invaded by the Dutch this summer [and some Germans]. I suppose we are having a pretty good summer weather wise; would that be the reason????

Cheers

Gwen [still in Pollyanna mode, even at this hour]

Guest 1footinthegrave

Oh dear Gwen, this is going to go down well with the lets all go to France and camp in the free car parks crowd.

What an entirely predictable comment from you, change the bloody record man.

No wonder you found Scotland empty, most of the Scots moved south from that rain soaked midge infested place , never mind though you'll be going abroad even there if they get independence.

But back to the UK in general. :-S

I've put my rose tinted specs on,

and suddenly I don't see height barriers springing up like weeds, petty signs that say no motorhomes, sites that are almost always in the middle of nowhere, club sites that seem to think another set of unfathomable marker posts are needed, £28 a night for facilities I neither need nor want, being told where I can pitch rather than being able to choose where, oh and don't even think of arriving after 6 pm, or even worse unannounced without expecting admonishment, cl's cs sites that very many say booking essential, ok if someone answers the phone, and you don't mind paying as much as £20 for a field,again in the middle of nowhere, more often that not with soft ground completely unsuitable for M/homes, parking bays everywhere in the UK that will only accommodate a car, time limited parking on m/way rest areas and shopping sites, parking wholly within the confines of a bay, with draconian fines for transgressors, grid locked roads, litter strewn everywhere, with so many of our roads resembling a land fill site

Can I find anything positive to say about the UK, yes we have Dover, if only we did not have that other car park that passes for a motorway to reach it.

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-23 4:53 AM

Oh dear Gwen, this is going to go down well with the lets all go to France and camp in the free car parks crowd.

No wonder you found Scotland empty, most of the Scots moved south from that rain soaked midge infested place , never mind though you'll be going abroad even there if they get independence.

and suddenly I don't see height barriers springing up like weeds, petty signs that say no motorhomes, sites that are almost always in the middle of nowhere, club sites that seem to think another set of unfathomable marker posts are needed, £28 a night for facilities I neither need nor want, being told where I can pitch rather than being able to choose where, oh and don't even think of arriving after 6 pm, or even worse unannounced without expecting admonishment, cl's cs sites that very many say booking essential, ok if someone answers the phone, and you don't mind paying as much as £20 for a field,again in the middle of nowhere, more often that not with soft ground completely unsuitable for M/homes, parking bays everywhere in the UK that will only accommodate a car, time limited parking on m/way rest areas and shopping sites, parking wholly within the confines of a bay, with draconian fines for transgressors, grid locked roads, litter strewn everywhere, with so many of our roads resembling a land fill site

Can I find anything positive to say about the UK, yes we have Dover, if only we did not have that other car park that passes for a motorway to reach it.

Yes, we know what you think of the UK. We've heard this often enough - and you urge another poster to change the record? Ironic that!

Judging by the positive comments up-thread, not everyone has as negative an experience as you do. And you questioned my use of the term 'hissy fit' on another thread?

Keep the positives coming, please, everyone.

Cheers

Gwen

Up until now,have always motorhomed in the UK, when I was a Tugger I went to Holland via the Tunnel, and enjoyed it, and have Tent camped in Brittany and Normandy, still prefere the UK especially the North of Scotland and the Hebrides, mostly stay on CC sites, and sometimes 'Wild Camp' when there is no other choice.

Shame that the UK isn't more Motorhome friendly, and I hate to think what the many 'mainland europeans' think of our 'don't despoil our country with your tacky motorhomes' attitude.

So, being a Dog owner (2 well behaved Labradors) AND a Motorhome owner and user, I am resigned to being considered a second or even a third class citizen, whilst touring our lovely and diverse Country.

Bigots, when they aspire to power (in Town Councils and the like) make anyone's life,who is not 'Main stream' a misery. So, be a Non-Dog Owning, Jet off to Hotels in Far away places (been there, done that !), or a Coach Tour fanatic (would rather have all my teeth pulled out !) Type of person and you'll fit it. Do what we do, and a lot will think us a little 'odd'.

Quote from neighbour: £50,000 for a Motohome ! I could fly to Las-Vegas 100 times for that ! and have plenty of 'Gambling money' ...... normal people eh, Don't you just 'Love them' ?? Ray

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-23 4:53 AM

Yep it was pretty empty except for all the euro registered vans around, as you do not tour in the UK you would be unaware of this. The UK you paint disappeared some time ago and the grossly exaggerated prices you quote fool no body, pathetic really. Perhaps you are directly related to your avatar, sounds like it, you and Eddie should form a club you could then both sit around and moan about anything British while still choosing to live here. Sorry Gwen I promise not to have any more rants about the anti anything UK brigade on your thread

Guest 1footinthegrave

I've sat at Dover port more times than I can remember, and you can count the amount of foreign registered vans on one hand coming here, and the absolute torrent of UK registered vans going the opposite direction, must be an awful lot of Judgementals and 1foots about. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-23 1:32 PM

I've sat at Dover port more times than I can remember, and you can count the amount of foreign registered vans on one hand coming here, and the absolute torrent of UK registered vans going the opposite direction, must be an awful lot of Judgementals and 1foots about. ;-)

.................and a much bigger place to visit on the other side.

;-)

Archived