Let's Hear It For The UK

Gwendolyn

One of the things I Iike about touring U.K. is that I don't have to carry a lot of documents / copy documents or arrange travel / breakdown insurance.

Plus of course no personal medical insurance - that really big earner for the medical insurance industry.

:-D

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rupert123 - 2013-08-23 11:29 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-23 4:53 AM

rupert123 - 2013-08-22 10:32 PM

Oh dear Gwen, this is going to go down well with the lets all go to France and camp in the free car parks crowd.

What an entirely predictable comment from you, change the bloody record man.

No wonder you found Scotland empty, most of the Scots moved south from that rain soaked midge infested place , never mind though you'll be going abroad even there if they get independence.

But back to the UK in general. :-S

I've put my rose tinted specs on,

and suddenly I don't see height barriers springing up like weeds, petty signs that say no motorhomes, sites that are almost always in the middle of nowhere, club sites that seem to think another set of unfathomable marker posts are needed, £28 a night for facilities I neither need nor want, being told where I can pitch rather than being able to choose where, oh and don't even think of arriving after 6 pm, or even worse unannounced without expecting admonishment, cl's cs sites that very many say booking essential, ok if someone answers the phone, and you don't mind paying as much as £20 for a field,again in the middle of nowhere, more often that not with soft ground completely unsuitable for M/homes, parking bays everywhere in the UK that will only accommodate a car, time limited parking on m/way rest areas and shopping sites, parking wholly within the confines of a bay, with draconian fines for transgressors, grid locked roads, litter strewn everywhere, with so many of our roads resembling a land fill site

Can I find anything positive to say about the UK, yes we have Dover, if only we did not have that other car park that passes for a motorway to reach it.

Yep it was pretty empty except for all the euro registered vans around, as you do not tour in the UK you would be unaware of this. The UK you paint disappeared some time ago and the grossly exaggerated prices you quote fool no body, pathetic really. Perhaps you are directly related to your avatar, sounds like it, you and Eddie should form a club you could then both sit around and moan about anything British while still choosing to live here. Sorry Gwen I promise not to have any more rants about the anti anything UK brigade on your thread

That's OK. It's not "my" thread as such…. one starts a thread but they do generate a life of their own. I just hope that 1foot's familiar rantings, resonating misery, will not put people off posting some positive experiences. I opened the thread with a wish that it wouldn't become another "I hate the UK; Love France" topic. But that is too much for which to hope I guess!!!!

Thing is, when we DO stay in the UK, we find quite a lot of motorhomes on sites. We live in a holiday area [no less than 3 campsites in our small village; and about 5 more in the immediate surroundings]. We pass plenty of motorhomes when we are out and about doing our usual, every day living stuff. So SOME people must have good times about which to write?

And this idea that ALL sites are remote is simply not true, as the itinerary in my OP showed.

Cheers

Gwen

malc d - 2013-08-23 1:43 PM

One of the things I Iike about touring U.K. is that I don't have to carry a lot of documents / copy documents or arrange travel / breakdown insurance.

Plus of course no personal medical insurance - that really big earner for the medical insurance industry.

:-D

Don't see the problem documents live in the van anyway, breakdown cover included with insurance, medical cover included with bank account.

No I would hardly call the CC sites at Bristol and York remote from towns, plenty of others to. IFoot just cannot seem to accept that a serious amount of euro registered vans are in the UK this year but how would he know? The one thing the UK does not get is good weather that is consistant but euroland in the front half of this year was hardly good. If your only reason for going on holiday is sun then I guess the uk is out but while it is preferred our holidays need a bit more than that. My favourite holiday of the year is skiing, not even in the van, so sun not the first priority for me. It must be nice to be happy with going to southern euro and just lie on a beach facing the sky, easy to please but not for us.

Plenty of nice places to vist in the England but we have given up trying to do it in a Motorhome. We can't stand club site and their detestable wardens. CL/CS's are usually now where near where you want to be. When touring we like too take each day as it comes don't like planing just a rough idea of where we want to go. Can't even go into towns if you do find a car park without a height barrier you get a ticket for over the white line or over 1500kg.

All we do in England now is a couple trips to the New Forest and a couple local weekends in CL/CS and a few music/dance festivals. Currently at the Twinwood Festival

Please note I said England not UK, Scotland is fabulously Motorhome friendly.

Just finishing trip around uk 6 wks. Why don't people who slag off uk jump in their mh and move to mainland Europe ok we got are faults but there is plenty going for us in the countryside you got to plan certain things like travel off peak I mean who travels M25,M6 except off peak, visit historic town centres after 6 pm no coaches less people easy park, places I revisited/ do

1 Scotland ( midges who wants easy life) especially. Nw and islands and off course Edinburgh where you can still park free all day about 10 min walk to royal mile

2 west Wales ( not the gower) beautiful

3 West Country ( west off Poole forget Bournemouth )coast

4north Somerset

5. North York moors

After all mh owners ( most of ones I've seen ) can't be short of a penny or two so why moan about costs you are only on this earth once live it ok it's a balancing act !

Having been on numerous camp site where I have had no problems with wardens where do the "can't stand club site and their detestable warden" come from?

It always appears that certain individuals manage to regularly find these wardens and I simply ask why, who has the attitude problem?

I love caravan club sites. OK the prices are getting towards those of commercial sites and are even more expensive than some but the standard at the CC sites are always excellent.

My only gripe is the difficulty I have finding somewhere at either short notice or peak periods.

sshortcircuit - 2013-08-23 4:57 PM

Having been on numerous camp site where I have had no problems with wardens where do the "can't stand club site and their detestable warden" come from?

It always appears that certain individuals manage to regularly find these wardens and I simply ask why, who has the attitude problem?

At the risk of taking your usual abuse I will once again take the risk of agreeing with you.

Bolly1965 - 2013-08-23 5:12 PM

I love caravan club sites. OK the prices are getting towards those of commercial sites and are even more expensive than some but the standard at the CC sites are always excellent.

My only gripe is the difficulty I have finding somewhere at either short notice or peak periods.

We rarely have this problem, if we know the one we want just telephone around 11am on the day you wish to arrive direct to site. Even then in Scotland this july/august only pre booked one, others we used just turned up.

Now Gwen enough of this U.K. is best nonsense! Seriously yes there are many nice places to visit in the U.K. but it is not a great place to tour in a motorhome. It is good for caravans, or partial caravans like yourself, as you can book ahead, have a nice grassy pitch and then use car to visit places. Yes, O.K., some sites are in towns but these are exception rather than the rule. We enjoy visiting many towns and cities in U.K., as most have good art galleries and museums but never do it with our motorhome but use car and stay in hotels.

As you must all know we spend most of our motorhoming time now in France, but this is not just because of the great Aires network but also that France is a great country to spend time in. It is said that France is the whole world in one country and who are we to disagree? It certainly gives U.K. a good run for its money, but yes there are other places that stand above both. Sailing into Sydney harbour or up the Chilean fjords, going up Table Mountain and seeking penguin on the Falklands are all experiences that stand above anything we have done in Uk or France. But for motorhoming France does beat Uk by a country mile. Sorry Gwen.

Bolly1965 - 2013-08-23 6:12 PM

I've booked into Exeter House CC Site next week as I'm due to get my suspension raised early the next day. I cannot arrive before 1PM and can't leave until 10am so hopefully will be able to spend the night in the late arrivals area - a bargain for £23 I don't think. The CC is full of rules and to hell with the customer. No wonder we have given up on the UK.

robertandjean - 2013-08-23 6:27 PM

Now Gwen enough of this U.K. is best nonsense! Seriously yes there are many nice places to visit in the U.K. but it is not a great place to tour in a motorhome. It is good for caravans, or partial caravans like yourself, as you can book ahead, have a nice grassy pitch and then use car to visit places. Yes, O.K., some sites are in towns but these are exception rather than the rule. We enjoy visiting many towns and cities in U.K., as most have good art galleries and museums but never do it with our motorhome but use car and stay in hotels.

As you must all know we spend most of our motorhoming time now in France, but this is not just because of the great Aires network but also that France is a great country to spend time in. It is said that France is the whole world in one country and who are we to disagree? It certainly gives U.K. a good run for its money, but yes there are other places that stand above both. Sailing into Sydney harbour or up the Chilean fjords, going up Table Mountain and seeking penguin on the Falklands are all experiences that stand above anything we have done in Uk or France. But for motorhoming France does beat Uk by a country mile. Sorry Gwen.

Yes Jean and Robert WE KNOW! As I said in my OP, we know that the Aires way of life is superior.

All I was TRYING to do was to ask for POSITIVE UK experiences because we see enough motohomers on sites in the UK. They cannot all be doing it because it’s some kind of hell.

And as you don’t stay on sites, and as you don’t motohome in the UK, how would you KNOW?

Why cannot people be positive, instead of all this [as in the post that follows yours] “we’ve given up on the UK” stuff? I get sick of this negativity.

This was a request for good UK touring idea, not the usual 'anywhere is better'.

And yes… we travel too, and spend 6 months each year in Europe. But we also like our UK breaks, as do many, many other motorhomers.

You are not 'sorry' Jean and Robert, as you repeat the same stuff ad nauseam. Please stop patronising me.

Gwen [no longer Pollyanna; exasperated Gwen more like]

Guest pelmetman
the general - 2013-08-23 4:49 PM

1 Scotland """"""""""""( midges who wants easy life)"""""""""""""" especially. Nw and islands and off course Edinburgh where you can still park free all day about 10 min walk to royal mile

I do :'( ........................next time I go back I'll take a mobile blood transfusion unit with me *-)

Gwen, we have in the past when we were working, done much Uk touring and using sites of all kinds. We always found it against the spirit of motorhoming,having to book ahead etc so could be sure of a pitch. But when working, like many of the motor homes you see perhaps, we had no choice. What we settled on in end was to go on MCC or CCC rallies where you could, and still can, just turn up without booking. But we were not always popular as we did not go to play bingo etc!!

As we said for caravans UK is great but we feel that for motor homes Uk is second best. You clearly see things differently and that's fine. We did not intend to patronise you and are sorry if you feel we did.

On a positive Uk note one tour we did enjoy was taking our van to Orkney. We based ourselves on a couple of sites then toured round on good roads with easy parking and lots of interesting places to see even if weather was not like the south of Francce.

robertandjean - 2013-08-23 7:57 PM

On a positive Uk note one tour we did enjoy was taking our van to Orkney. We based ourselves on a couple of sites then toured round on good roads with easy parking and lots of interesting places to see.

Thank you. That's the kind of info I was hoping to collect.

Cheers

Gwen

Brian Kirby - 2013-08-23 8:25 PM

Mike88 - 2013-08-23 6:33 PM.........I've booked into Exeter House CC Site ..........

Where's that? I am aware of the Exeter Racecourse site, but that has no late arrivals area. CCC has no Exeter site.

Sorry! It's Exmoor House, Dulverton on the Somerset/Devon border - Page 102 of the CC book. And there is a late arrivals area at Exeter racecourse as I spent the night on it the day before I moved down here.

Well, I can only quote you in respect of both sites, that the 2013/14 CC sites directory states that neither site has a late night arrival area.

Dulverton does say no arrivals before 13:00, but there is no mention of restricted departure times.

Possibly an early departure could be arranged with the warden, but I can't see why they should object, so long as it is not disruptive to others. After all, you will be asked to pay on arrival, so there is nothing to do on leaving but stick your card in the barrier, hand it in, and go.

I suspect that the poster has booked on-line and, if you do, you have to give an eta – in 2 hour bands - and also a departure time.

The departure time is a ‘set one’: 10.00 – 12.00. And I assume that is because latest departure time is 12.00.

But you can leave any time as soon as the barrier is open. What’s that usually? Around 7 or 8 am?

An example of finding a problem where none exists.

Brian Kirby - 2013-08-24 12:50 AM

Well, I can only quote you in respect of both sites, that the 2013/14 CC sites directory states that neither site has a late night arrival area.

Dulverton does say no arrivals before 13:00, but there is no mention of restricted departure times.

Possibly an early departure could be arranged with the warden, but I can't see why they should object, so long as it is not disruptive to others. After all, you will be asked to pay on arrival, so there is nothing to do on leaving but stick your card in the barrier, hand it in, and go.

Brian. The late arrivals area at Exeter Racecourse is (or at least was a few years back) outside the site but part of the racecourse. It is on the opposite side of the track and to the right as you look towards the entrance.

As to Exmoor House you will see when you book online that you are asked to select your departure time and the earliest slot is between 10 and 12. I hadn't noticed the absence of a late arrivals area at Exmoor House but the point I was making is that camping in the UK is not the free and easy process that you find abroad.

Mike88 - 2013-08-24 8:39 AM

Brian. The late arrivals area at Exeter Racecourse is (or at least was a few years back) outside the site but part of the racecourse. It is on the opposite side of the track and to the right as you look towards the entrance.

As to Exmoor House you will see when you book online that you are asked to select your departure time and the earliest slot is between 10 and 12. I hadn't noticed the absence of a late arrivals area at Exmoor House but the point I was making is that camping in the UK is not the free and easy process that you find abroad.

Mike surely the easy way is to phone the site direct and ask them or is that to obvious. Exmoor house is one of our favourite CC sites, in the village, good pub food five minutes walk, nice local walks straight from the site. Have never noticed a late arrivals area but never needed it, as to leaving early can see no problem here, just drive off and leave the barrier key in box provided just for this. The price in high season is a bit steep but as the place is always full I guess it is about right and the price compared with euro sites in high season looks cheap.

Mike88 - 2013-08-24 8:39 AM

Mike, the departure time slot offered is always 10 – 12 on every CC site when you book on-line. As I said up-thread, this is because the latest departure time is 12noon across the CC network, with only a few exceptions. I suppose the wardens are not interested in who is leaving when, as long as all departures are off by noon.

I have to select 10 – 12 noon even on Black Horse Farm on a ferry pitch, even though we may be leaving for a very early ferry.

You will be able to leave as early as you wish.

Cheers

Gwen

Gwen, I'm with you on this about the UK. I'm not keen on France or Holland; I love Belgium, Germany and Austria, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. Never bothered with the hotter places and can't afford to go to Scandinavia.

I've never had a problem with the CC or the CLs in over 20 years of membership. Height barriers? Car Parking restrictions? I just go somewhere else and there are plenty of places you can go. We walk and sometimes we take public transport - just had a few days near Grassington and used the Pride of the Dales bus into Skipton for a lovely day out. I do the same when on the Continent. I can go on rallies in this country if I wanted cheap nights with fellow motorhomers - does that read right?

Off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair next week. What a great place to spend four days.

I go away in the van to relax, not to get over excited at the realisation the country isn't run entirely for my benefit.

Archived