Suggested Sites For First Timers

Gravemaurice

Hi,

We are due to collect our first motorhome in October (all going to plan) and we hope to get a week off our respective work in mid November for our first trip away with overnight stays.

I think the best idea would be for us to go to a nice site which would allow us to get use to things and also where we could hopefully get some advice if stumped about something.

I've read about the caravan clubs and am still undecided about joining - any thoughts.

A nice site possibly by the coast or beach view would be great. We are in Scotland but anywhere in Scotland or england would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts.

Sounds like a good idea to me to go to a site for your first trip away. If you have any problems there is bound to be a friendly warden or fellow camper you can ask.

There have been loads of 'discussions' (i.e. arguments) on this forum about the relative merits of joining one of the main clubs. We are in Camping and Caravaning Club and have found their sites always very good and wardens polite and helpful but others have had a different experience. Bear in mind that if you are a member of C&CC or Caravan Club you can stay on a large network of small privately owned sites, usually for a lowish price. You can't stay on these sites unless you are a club member, in theory.

Loads of sites to choose from all over the country, we use www.ukcampsite.co.uk quite a bit, give it a try.

Have fun with you new van!

Paul

Welcome aboard, there are many well seasoned Caravan and Motohome users on this forum. When asking questions you will receive various replies and it will not take long to work out who knows what on a particular aspect of your vehicle or indeed any site that you may choose. Many members are elderly and very often when a query arises they will provide an elderly answer, by that I mean many of the group do not buy decorative fancy goods when an older and often more efficient one will do.

Do not be offended if someone gives a sharp reply to a question, it probably means they've been around a long time and do actually know most of the answers and it tends to be a repetition reply. Be assured they are pleasant at heart.

Where do you go for a start? its often suggested fairly close to home as there's bound to be something you've left behind or its not so warm as you thought it would be, remember you are not in a house with lots of insulation and if you are camping at a higher altitude its much colder.

There are many sites, if you choose an out of season time there is often no reason to book first. Look up the Caravan Club on the Internet, find a site and call them first. Another club is the C&CC (camping & caravanning club) many people prefer one of the other or both, some are very fussy and avoid their disliked club, many avoid all clubs and choose private sites with a few vehicles. some avoid everything and try to hide themselves out of sight at night.

If you go to a site talk to others they may have a spare site booklets so you can read up where sites are in the country, one club issues annually and another is bi-annually.

Have fun.

Its usual to indicate what make of Motorhome and the year you have chosen. Its certain that someone will have the same and can answer queries. You should hear of many suggestions

I would agree with the above, spend a few days close to your suppyling dealer while you 'sort things out'

and check that everything works as it should, that way it is'nt a long drive back.

As for sites, you don't say where in Scotland you are ? and Scotland has many beautiful sites. We are Caravan Club members so I am biased, Bunree in Onich (just South of Fort William) is an 'Open all Year' site with heated loos and a lovely posistion right by the lochside. Two nice ones in Dumfries and Galloway, New England Bay (south of Stranraer) and Garlieston. Have a great time finding you OWN favourites. Good Luck Ray

Thanks for all the suggestions I will have alook at them all (including Monifieth, Dingwall and Moffat!).

We are right in the middle of Scotland so anywhere in Scotland or mid-England is not too far away. After driving 2,000 miles in 7 days this July we like touring.

We are getting a 2014 model Elddis Autoquest 140.

We have been looking for years (literally) at new motorhomes and kept coming back to the 140 and it's rear lounge and each year it just seems to be better kitted out and the 2014 model is no exception taking everything that could be considered the difference between an entry level van and and a mid range one now included. It also fits the lower end budget we have prepared for.

I know it wont be everyone's cup of tea but it suits us for what we want.

The front garden is now gone and replaced by a nice big parking area. Outdoor power for a hook-up and water supply is on the way too.

We intend to use it as a day van for near to home (St. Andrews and the likes) and breaks and holidays too. We love the Hebrides so that's a cert. at some point.

We will also be seriously looking at the Tour de France next year possibly around the mountains (not the mad mental upper summits though) this time (we've driven over before and stayed in a cottage).

I know that posts about the CC and CCC can get a bit heated and probably to experienced motorhomers they may offer little attraction but to us we will be looking for some sense of security, easilly accesable facilities or a bit of support until we are confident enough to go "wild" so we will join one of them - not sure which, if any, is better than the other.

Thanks for the responses so far and I will show you the van when it arrives!!

I agree with those who say stay close to the supplying dealer. Re sites, my impression is that the Caravan Club sites have a greater proportion of hardstandings than the Caravan & Camping Club, so may be a better bet at that time of year.

If you're collecting the van about a month before your trip, I can only suggest the obvious - check that the heating is working properly before your leave home, and make sure the dealer demonstrates it to you working properly when you collect the van. Finding yourselves on a campsite in November with no working heating will not make for an enjoyable first outing!

Much the same for the other on-board facilities, but if any of those fail to work there is usually a work-around. Putting them all through their paces while still at home would be wise - these things tend to show faults early on, if they're going to play up, so probably worth getting that stage out of the way so far as possible.

Adequate heating is fundamental to comfort if the weather turns cold, especially if also wet, and there isn't really much of a work-around for that! Have fun! :-)

We find the Camping and Caravan Club a good bet due to their Temporary Holiday Sites and I have to say we do enjoy our local DA rallies and have made many new friends and been to a lot of place we wouldn't even think of going to. Thought I would say that but for us it works. We are also members of the Caravan Club but orobably wont be next year as we haven't use them much this year.

Archived