Motorhome tyres

Pampam

Where do you buy your new tyres from ? Do you get them from your motorhome dealer or base vehicle dealer which in my case is fiat stoneacre and are they "special" ones ?and am I in for a big surprise when A.. I find out they are like rocking horse poo. And b.. Extortionately priced. Or. C.. You can't get them( just like my kitchen window ). Lol thanks pp

Bolly1965 - 2013-09-09 7:34 AM

they are special camping tyres.

Not necessarily! Ours are 'White van man' tyres and where actually quite cheap (compared to car tyres I have purchased recently).

Have a look at what are currently fitted and pay particular attention to the Load and Speed index marking. They will appear as something like 112H after the tyre size. Also look if they are Camping or CP marked tyres as these will then be more expensive.

Have a look on the tyresafe website and download the Motorhome tyre leaflet for more info... Link

Keith.

Personal Opinion !!

Get the Camping Tyre tyres, commercial ones are not really for the motorhomes due to lengthy standing ect.

I learnt the hard way opted for commercial tyres, they did not last and had to replace them.

I think it is the old adage the cheapest is not the best, get the best you can afford.

:-S

ATS Euromaster. They usually need notice to get them in and sometimes there is a delay of a month or so as manufacturers make camping tyres in batches [shortages often occur at the start of the touring season]. The last time I had new tyres, a couple of years ago, ATS even asked me what my torque settings were before they put the wheels back on.

Tyre outlets do have special offers on from time to time so if you can wait, you might get them cheaper. ATS had a Michelin offer on when I ordered mine and I got 5 tyres for the price of 4 even though they were fitted after the offer expired.

Not all garages can fit a motorhome into their bays so a fitting outlet that takes trucks might be a good idea. However, my last set were done on the forecourt.

The debate about whether you can use ordinary van tyres or have to use camping tyres will go on forever. In theory camping tyres are more suitable to run at the higher pressures required for motorhomes, and the increased rigidity, from thicker sidewalls, reduces tyre movement and stops the vehicle from swaying around, particularly whilst cornering.

You will be lucky to get Agilis Camping tyres for less than £150 each.

I've used ATS for car and van for the last 20 years without a problem.

Hi,

Just got a set of Continental Vanco Camper from "Tyre Universe", bought on line, free carriage, and arrived in two days from ordering. Cheapest I could find - £106 each for 225/65 R16. I got a local "one man outfit" to fit them. Pleased with the outcome. Michelin are expensive in my opinion, but will tell you better after a few miles down the road.

Archived