auto trail motorhome

rmballard

Hi Ron and welcome to the forum.

We've had our Cheyenne (the French bed model) for over 5 years now and have no intention of changing it in the foreseeable future. In fact we've just given the interior a makeover courtesy of CareAVan.

The only big difference is ours is on a Merc so is rear wheel drive.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and yes, they are well built.

And a second vote for the ATOC, they are a great crowd :-D

Keith.

I agree with crinkly starfish the workmanship and finish on the older auto rails are better we've had a 2oo9 cheyanne a nd was very happy with it also had an 2012 apache 634 which has an end lounge but part exed that for an older bigger model : obviously we like the auto trails lol pp hope you enjoy it :

Guest searchforsites

Bought our Cherokee 3 years ago on a whim at the Shepton Mallet show without doing much research (surely something costing 56k should be well built?) and its been great none of the horrors that others have experienced. But since reading reports on the web, I am not so sure I would have chose Autotrail.

There have been minor problems but all with things that other vans use, Dometic fridges, Truma water heaters etc. so unfair to lay the blame with Autotrail.

• 2 weeks later...
crinklystarfish - 2013-09-10 8:16 PM

Auto-Trails were pretty well made in that era (arguably better than now) and the 2.8 JTD was good. Probably a good purchase if all the checks have been done. You could do much, much worse.

Absolutely right - not so keen on the X250 based vans though - less well made and more complex so much more to go wrong.

From experience of owning 3 AutoTrails the pre x250 models were definitely better built, more so the Merc versions for being rear wheel drive, but the 2.8 Fiats are well on top of the job with sound engines. One way of recognising the models with updated gearboxes, the Fiat badge on the bonnet or radiator grill is round where as the problematic original ones have a diagonal badge. Even if the earlier model gearbox fifth gear collapses they are an easy fix, the gearbox doesn't need removing and parts are readily available.

Had my Miami from new , previously owned Auto Sleepers. To date I am pleased with the Miami, we love the layout, the workhorse is a Renault 2.5 which is a dream to drive. On balance I took some persuading to leave Auto Sleepers, but I believe earlier correspondents are correct that in both makers the quality was and is better in the earlier models, before pressure of demand and profit margins ruled supreme. Best wishes I do not intent changing my model it suits us fine. Bob

Archived