Drinking water tap

Mel B

Hi all, in our current van the kitchen tap is in housed within the sink itself so, in order to fill the kettle for example, I have to lift the lid on the sink and raise the tap, not a problem except that the sink top doubles as worktop. In order to overcome this I currently use the washroom tap to fill the kettle but am always wary of marking the sink in there, especially if the kettle has been recently boiled.

In order to try to get round this I have considered fitting a separate tap on the worktop itself between the sink and cooker but the space is too tight for a standard tap (hot and cold supply) so I have been considering installing an additional tap just for cold (drinking) water which should fit in the available space.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331014075051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've done some Googling and Ebaying and have come up with this type of tap with or without a filter facility - I wondered if anyone any experience of using these types of taps and if so how good they were - for example do they have a good flow rate or are they like watching paint dry! What are the pros/cons? As far as I can ascertain our water system doesn't have a micro-switches (no wires from the taps) so i should be able to plumb one of these in without a problem ... shouldn't I???? :-S

Mel

agree with all previous posts. Surely an extra tap would take up VALUABLE space, and probably get in the way. Why not get one of the plastic water carriers with a tap on it, about £10, maybe less.Can be flattened and stored when not need., also useful for getting water from other sources.Or fill the kettle with a jug from the bathroom tap.

PJay

If there's one thing I've learnt about worktops, the more you have, the more you use. In the old house we have very limited worktop space and have no problems, in the new house we have 30ft of worktops and don't seem to have any more space!

On our van we removed the glass top and found the ability to use the sink without having to move items off the glass top more than outweigh the loss of a small bit off worktop.

BTW for drinking water, including that to be boiled we use 'old' plastic water bottles which we refill (mostly) daily.

Seems logical to me to address the root cause and try to increase worktop space. All manner of sliding / lift-up-flap type worktop extensions are fairly easily made. It's also easy to incorporate a small leg-mounted table. Incidentally, even with a stack of worktop space I personally find those glass lids a nuisance. Whether up or down they always seem to be in the way of something. Specifically chose not to have them this time round and haven't missed them at all.

I have table felt cut to shape on top of my glass lids, they are very vulnerable looking so hopefully this felt will protect them. When I need to be at the tap I lift the end extension and either just pull the felt with anything that it has on top onto the extension (that Mel also has) or lift the lot and turn around putting it all on he table, I have more working space in this VC than I did in the KonTiki .

Do you get the message Mel (lol) nobody thinks its a good idea and just think ;-) more joints to leak :-D you don't need that !! listen to Aunty Maggy.

maggyd - 2013-09-16 2:38 PM

Do you get the message Mel (lol) nobody thinks its a good idea and just think ;-) more joints to leak :-D you don't need that !! listen to Aunty Maggy.

I thought you'd have learnt your lesson with waste pipes Mel :D

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-09-16 2:47 PM

I thought you'd have learnt your lesson with waste pipes Mel :D

Keith.

Cheeky b*ggers! :D One reason I'm considering a separate tap is the ability to filter it if I want to, we drink the tank water (ie for cuppas etc) and after a fill in Ireland from a genuine drinking water point, used by the canal boats too, we found that the water had quite a strong taste of lime (as in limescale not the fruit! *-) ) and, even though we're used to it as we live in a hard water area, it was still too strong for us to drink, so we may want to filter it, hence a separate tap would be one solution - filling a filter jug and sticking it in the fridge would be another cheaper option but I don't have the space in the fridge now.

We do have a lot of worktop for a PVC anyway with a lift up flap at the end, but I tend not to use the dinette table much as I have 3 'horrors' - if I put something really 'tasty' on it, although they are VERY good, they might succumb to temptation eventually!!! I got very used to having a tap on the worktop in our previous MHs (drips and all!) and have never really settled to the in-sink tap as we have now.

I haven't decided what to do yet ...

maggyd - 2013-09-16 6:44 PM

I know all about little thieving horrors (lol) come on show us your worktop again, where are you going to put it and where is the filter going ??

Well you did ask us. >:-)

Okay ... the tap would go in the centre of the worktop just to the rear of the two glass covers (there is space) and the spout/lever would reach through between the 2 covers if they were lifted up so it could still be used - I have a spare standard worktop mounted mixer tap but it is too wide for the available space hence the thought of a single water tap/spout.

You can see the gap on here (it's the same as is on your Alto Maggy), and you can also see the worktop flap on the right in the lowered position.

1888093222_6-Teaetctubs.JPG.6803456e1a4442415f1e46b816d0470e.JPG

842211052_9-Galley.JPG.ba30d22b5592dc6b056dea3d6e5b7f15.JPG

I have table felt cut to shape on top of my glass lids, they are very vulnerable looking so hopefully this felt will protect them.

You'll notice in the above photos that I have a silicone pastry worktop sheet on top of the cooker glass (like the one in the link below) - its meant for when you're baking as it is the sort that has 'circles' marked on it so you can roll pastry out to the size you need, I use it face down and as it's silicone it sticks to the glass so when I open lid it stays put and is heatproof so I don't need to worry about putting pans on it if needs be. On the sink glass lid I have a flexible plastic clear sink liner in 'pebble' effect - the sort that you'd usually put in the bottom of your kitchen sink to stop it being scratched - but this isn't heatproof and has gaps between the 'pebbles' so bits can fall through, so hopefully I'll pick another silicone one up at a car boot sale (the other one cost me 50p!) and replace it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sale-Silicone-Massive-Rolling-Cut-Mat-Sugarcraft-Cake-Dough-Clay-Pastry-Tool-EA-/360723617815?pt=UK_Home_Baking_Accessories&hash=item53fccd9817

Mel...

I fitted one of these at home...and the tap outlet sits about 8" from the surface(..so plenty of room to thread a kettle underneath)...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/water-filter-kit/14306

It's very slim and although it has a rotary tap, rather than a lever, at least there's less chance of knocking it and inadvertently turning it on.

..which I have done with our lever tap in the van...which is a pain when it doesn't sit over the sink! *-)

(..but obviously you wouldn't be using their method of "Teeing" into the exiting water system).

Hi pepe, thanks for that info

I totally understand the benefit of having a rotary knob rather than a lever as I found out in previous vans with worktop located mixer taps how easy it was to accidentally knock the lever and turn the tap on so ending-up with water everywhere! :$ The tap within the sink has lever which in my view is way too long for it's location as it is very easily knocked when washing up and I end up with loads of cold water in the washing-up bowl which is a nuisance, so that's another thing I'm looking at 'adapting', ie removing the existing lever if possible and fitting a shorter one but first I need to find out how to remove the lever without breaking it (I will of course keep the original lever to re-fit in the future when we eventually come to sell the van) ... anyway, I digress ....

I'm not sure if the tap you've suggested would work in our van though as trying to get at the tap knob would be difficult as I don't think it would fit through the gap between the glass lids if they were raised and if not whether it would be possible to turn it on/off by getting my hand through the gap - I'll have to see one 'in the flesh' and measure it first.

Not making a definite decision yet as to what to do, but very grateful for all comments and suggestions! :->

Mel B - 2013-09-16 7:09 PM

I have table felt cut to shape on top of my glass lids, they are very vulnerable looking so hopefully this felt will protect them.

You'll notice in the above photos that I have a silicone pastry worktop sheet on top of the cooker glass (like the one in the link below) - its meant for when you're baking as it is the sort that has 'circles' marked on it so you can roll pastry out to the size you need, I use it face down and as it's silicone it sticks to the glass so when I open lid it stays put and is heatproof so I don't need to worry about putting pans on it if needs be. On the sink glass lid I have a flexible plastic clear sink liner in 'pebble' effect - the sort that you'd usually put in the bottom of your kitchen sink to stop it being scratched - but this isn't heatproof and has gaps between the 'pebbles' so bits can fall through, so hopefully I'll pick another silicone one up at a car boot sale (the other one cost me 50p!) and replace it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sale-Silicone-Massive-Rolling-Cut-Mat-Sugarcraft-Cake-Dough-Clay-Pastry-Tool-EA-/360723617815?pt=UK_Home_Baking_Accessories&hash=item53fccd9817

That's a good idea the silicone baking sheet !! I'm sure I have something similar that I used to use when rolling out icing, what I have is o.k put can end up on the floor when travelling Ill have to see if I can remember where it is!

Well good luck with that tap but I would be very careful drilling that hole

>:-) I think Ill stick with toddling to the bathroom if stuck! I always have a big bottle of water on the bathroom lower shelf anyway >:-) I'm very delicate you know !! and it doesn't take anything much to upset my dicky tum so I don't take any chances with my drinking water. :-D

Mel/ Maggyd

I use non slip rubber cut into sheets for covering the glass top of the cooker (don' t have glass cover on sink) You can buy it in most "cheap" shops, and Homebase I buy it in rolls and then cut to size. Also useful to line cupboards. Easy to wash in machine when it gets dirty

Hi Mel

We have a Nature Pure tap and do not think it will suit your needs for the following reasons.

1) Not usable with sink cover down - we need to hold kettle in sink.

2) Not usable with sink cover up - it will be impossible to manoeuvre the lever and at the same time have the kettle under the spout without contortions.

Sorry that this is not the solution to your problem.

We do love our NP tap, saves carrying bottled water. We have a circular sink with a wooden insert/chopping board which we leave at home ! We also use silicon mats to protect our 2 ft long worktop from harm.

Joyce

dragonflyer - 2013-09-21 8:49 AM

Hi Mel

We have a Nature Pure tap and do not think it will suit your needs for the following reasons.

2) Not usable with sink cover up - it will be impossible to manoeuvre the lever and at the same time have the kettle under the spout without contortions.

We do love our NP tap, saves carrying bottled water. We have a circular sink with a wooden insert/chopping board which we leave at home ! We also use silicon mats to protect our 2 ft long worktop from harm.

Joyce

Thanks Joyce, I did wonder how 'tall' these taps are for getting the kettle under etc, it looks like I'll have to go back to square one with this idea! *-)

PJay - 2013-09-17 9:16 PM

Mel/ Maggyd

I use non slip rubber cut into sheets for covering the glass top of the cooker (don' t have glass cover on sink) You can buy it in most "cheap" shops, and Homebase I buy it in rolls and then cut to size. Also useful to line cupboards. Easy to wash in machine when it gets dirty

maggyd - 2013-09-17 9:40 PM

Ive got that in all my cupboards pjay but I didn't like it on the top of the glass as it made a pattern on the glass :-D I hate glass!!

pjay - I have the anti-slip stuff all over the place, I get it from the £1 shops! Maggy agree about it not being ideal on glass, and also if you spill anything on it it goes through - not good if it's sugar as it can scratch - hence why I like a 'solid' piece of silicone! :$ (lol)

Mel B - 2013-09-21 2:18 PM

dragonflyer - 2013-09-21 8:49 AM

Hi Mel

Joyce

Thanks Joyce, I did wonder how 'tall' these taps are for getting the kettle under etc, it looks like I'll have to go back to square one with this idea! *-)

The dimensions of the General Ecology (Nature Pure) faucet are shown here

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/water_filters.htm

It appears that the threaded spout can be rotated so that the operating lever on the body of the faucet is to the rear (or side) of the body where it would not interfere with positioning a kettle beneath the spout.

The 'footprint' dimensions of the faucet's base are not shown, but (from your photos) it looks like there's room on the worktop for it and that the glass lids could open each side of it. You'd need to ensure there's nothing beneath the worktop that would obstruct the bulky nut used to hold the faucet in place.

Mel B - 2013-09-17 11:54 AM

....I'm not sure if the tap you've suggested would work in our van though as trying to get at the tap knob would be difficult as I don't think it would fit through the gap between the glass lids if they were raised and if not whether it would be possible to turn it on/off by getting my hand through the gap - I'll have to see one 'in the flesh' and measure it first....

Hi Mel..

I thought the idea of this additional tap was so that didn't have to keep opening the sink lid in the first place?... :-S

..if you're looking to operate it with the sink lid open, then wouldn't you just use the existing tap contained within the sink....?

Archived