Curtains v silver screens or similiar advice

Bartonfolk

Hello every-one

Looking for advice here. We have downsized to a Symbol after having a large coach built motorhome. I do like so many things about our Symbol but obviously space is a premium! I find the curtains a pain and they cut off some space, so I thought we would buy some external silver screens, but when I saw the size of the bag and how bulky they were they would not work for us as we dont have anywhere to store them.

Does anyone with a similiar van have any other solutions, or are the curtains my only option?

Unless you camp in really hot or cold climates I personally can't see the need for Silver Screens - even more so where storage is limited.

We have the same storage issues in our Warwick and I did originally intend to fit the interior Remis blinds to at least the cab windscreen and possibly the doors as well. However as we keep going away in the van I have not had time to sort it and so we learned to live with the curtains for now.

I fitted press studs to the bottom of the curtains and they now clip against the lower dashboard and I use clothes pegs to keep the gap tightly closed to keep the light out and whilst far from ideal it does the job.

I think I can modify the curtain track to just cover the side windows and then fitting a windscreen only Remis blind would free up space in the cab and allow access to the dashboard as well as hiding the sat nav at night.

Does that help?

We tried internal screens some years back and whilst they are less bulky than external screens they still take up a lot of space - think of a roll roughly about 3' long and about 1' in diameter - and although the Symbol is a great small van space is very limited.

I still have the 3 blind set to fit the previous model Ducato/Boxer cab if anybody is in need of them?

Tracker - 2013-09-25 5:37 PM

We tried internal screens some years back and whilst they are less bulky than external screens they still take up a lot of space - think of a roll roughly about 3' long and about 1' in diameter - and although the Symbol is a great small van space is very limited.

I still have the 3 blind set to fit the previous model Ducato/Boxer cab if anybody is in need of them?

Don't roll them up then, lay them flat and you can 'lose' them pretty much anywhere. I've never rolled ours up in over 5 years!

Keith.

If you camp in REALLY cold weather, then I would get Outside silver screens, If you squeeze them down you can get them into quite a small space. Otherwise you WILL get condensation with Internals.

I use the Remis internal blinds until the Frost Starts, then I fit external Silver Screens. But for me storage isn't a problem, I still used them when was though, in my Old Talisman. They Work, What else can I say. Ray

Keithl - 2013-09-25 6:20 PM

Don't roll them up then, lay them flat and you can 'lose' them pretty much anywhere. I've never rolled ours up in over 5 years!

Keith.

Fair comment - but you will need to wipe off any condensation first and storing and retrieving three quite large sheets of silver plastic flat in a Symbol will indeed be quite a challenge! I suppose folding them would be OK?

We have remis internals and get rid of any condensation with a Karcher window cleaning vacuum moisture remover and it works a treat. You never know, you may need to make a hasty exit sometime and you won't the hassle of going outside the van to remove external blinds and get a smack on the head. :D

Sorry but what's all this talk of condensation with internal screens or Remis blinds?

I have only ever used internal screens and at the worst I have had to wipe a light misting of condensation off the inside of the cab windows with a synthetic chamois, taking all of a minute or so.

You lot make it sound like it will be running down the windows! I think the secret is good ventilation to prevent it building up in the first place.

Keith.

I have used uninsulated silver screens for many years, as I also found the insulated ones were too bulky when rolled up.

I have found them very useful to keep the heat out of the cab, and in very cold weather (u.k) they seem to work quite well and do not allow much condensation to form on the inside windows.

They are cheaper obviously and roll up into a bag aprox 15"x 6" dia for a Boxer van, bought mine from Taylors screens.

Keithl - 2013-09-25 10:15 PM

Sorry but what's all this talk of condensation with internal screens or Remis blinds?

I have only ever used internal screens and at the worst I have had to wipe a light misting of condensation off the inside of the cab windows with a synthetic chamois, taking all of a minute or so.

You lot make it sound like it will be running down the windows! I think the secret is good ventilation to prevent it building up in the first place.

Keith.

We've only ever used internal screens(if used at all) and I've often thought the same Keith.. ;-)

But I suppose it would/may depend on the layout?...(..maybe?..)

In a front lounge/bed layout, folk are laying down/exhaling closer to the screen..

Whereas, with a rear bed(ours is a French bed layout),not only are you further from the 'screen, but there's usually a couple of roof vents between you and it as well...

That's my theory anyhow.....

Jeeez! I need to get out more!? (lol)

We have used internal screens (Reimo) on our last two VW T5s (high top). The T5 is not the easiest vehicle to fit curtains to the front screen and doors.

Yes there is some condensation when the outside temperatures are low but wiping it away only takes a few minutes and does keep the inside of the glass clean.

Packed up these take up the space of a pillow in a ventilated bag supplied with the screens which is not a problem for us to carry.

I am sure most of you will agree that the T5, even our LWB, is not the largest of van conversions.

We have Remis blinds for privacy, no real impact on thermal comfort (IMHO), and when it's cold we use "SilverScreens"; very effective. And as we don't need to be revved up and ready to depart at a moment's notice they win hands down over insulated internals. We have plenty of storage space ( that's one reason why we went bespoke) so not an issue. Remis + SilverScreens, good solution.

easy decision

regards

alan b

Bartonfolk - 2013-09-25 5:06 PM

Hello every-one

Looking for advice here. We have downsized to a Symbol after having a large coach built motorhome. I do like so many things about our Symbol but obviously space is a premium! I find the curtains a pain and they cut off some space, so I thought we would buy some external silver screens, but when I saw the size of the bag and how bulky they were they would not work for us as we dont have anywhere to store them.

Does anyone with a similiar van have any other solutions, or are the curtains my only option?

I have an Auto-Sleepers Duetto, a very similar van to yours. My advice to you is either get used to the curtains.....or remove them entirely which you can easily do. Personally I have left mine in as i find them so simple to just push back when departing. The only point I would mention is always remember to clip both passenger and driver side curtain right back before getting in the seat.....it's very easy to catch a loose hanging curtain under your bum and pull it away from the slider rail.

I carry an internal silver screen but only for the windscreen. As it folds flat takes up very little space if any at all.....and as you have already discovered, space is at a premium in these kind of vans. However most of my touring is in hot weather countries.

Just remember the plus points though. Your Symbol will go anywhere that a large saloon car will go, not to mention the mpg. And that's something you couldn't do or were getting with your "large coachbuilt MH!!"

Archived