Van conversions. Water Ingress.

rolandrat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'afternoon Roland'... ;-)

IF(and I know it's a big "if"..but it's all we've really had to go on! (lol)), this van is one that you or someone you know is looking at, with a view to a possible purchase, then, irrespective of whether the cause of this "leak" has been addressed or not, would you/they really want to be paying out for van which looks as if it's had red wine/beetroot or bucket of bleach thrown at it...? (lol)

Unless there's a massive discount involved... ;-)

OT

RE: Posting a photo.

"Resizing" seems to be the biggest issue...

That method I posted earlier, has worked for me umpteen times but that was a while back.I haven't had cause to put a photo up in a while.

I know that the last time I tried, it kept on failing to post(..even photos that had been resize and that I had posted up before..)but I think that maybe coincided with when the site was having one of it's funny turns!?

I thought I'd mentioned the layout but after back tracking I can see that I haven't so I can tell you that it has a rear lounge layout with an offside toilet and wardrobe On the nearside is the kitchen cooker and sink then the sliding door. The staining was noticed behind the front drivers and passenger seats and for some distance rearwards. I'll have another go at putting the photo's on.

Being British or not really isn't the point is it. Fair enough the video that you mentioned looked very impressive and the assembly methods looked very good but not all converters have those sort of facilities or work to those methods. Each to their own. I did like the way the base floor was built up with no gap between the steel floor and timber base other than the necessary service holes.

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-09-27 4:12 PM

..Now now Eddie..play nicely...! (lol)

Sorry? That is me playing nicely :D

Bleach is for cleaning sinks and toilets (ceramic) anyone who uses it repeatedly on floors deserves what they get to be honest....it is very strong! and if its a cheap construction with crap vinyl...it could well be that. if they were so drunk they couldn't mop up a glass of red wine? that scenario even more unlikely don't you think...

Guest JudgeMental
rolandrat - 2013-09-27 4:14 PM

Being British or not really isn't the point is it. Fair enough the video that you mentioned looked very impressive and the assembly methods looked very good but not all converters have those sort of facilities or work to those methods. Each to their own. I did like the way the base floor was built up with no gap between the steel floor and timber base other than the necessary service holes.

All depends on the quality of materials used....Each to there own indeed, and these german, properly constructed vans are considerably cheaper! thats the main thrust of my argument. My van at 2.5 years, only things that has gone wrong. edge strip around bathroom sink came loose, easily glued back, my fault anyway from not using shower curtain. one catch failed on overhead locker. emailed german dealer (van out of warranty) two catches Gratis within 4 days...

you seem fixated on the floor construction, there is little difference between a CB and a van sandwich floor , unless they are fully winterised with double floor and the services and tanks inside.

you would have thought the dealer selling van would have put down a new piece of cheapo vinyl!lol bet he wish he had now! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2013-09-27 3:37 PM

Spilling red wine or indeed any alcoholic beverage is IMO sacrilege :-D

Indeede.......Bring dem before me! and thou shalt weep for mercy!

Ratty has sent me pictures for showing, of his water damage problem. I cannot see the connection between what he is explaining and what is shown here. I thought the problem was inside a van. It appears to us to be a part of something thats been removed and displayed for the picture.

Perhaps he can explain

Yup - no doubt about it - definitely water damage and at a guess it's been like that for quite a while.

If it's still wet it suggests it ain't been fixed.

Whereabouts in the van was the wet patch - not under the bed I hope - nothing worse than sleeping over a wet patch!

You could try putting water in the tank and leaving the pump on all night to see if it's internal, and then filling the sinks and shower a couple of times and letting it drain away.

Mrs T - 2013-09-27 6:18 PM

Ratty has sent me pictures for showing, of his water damage problem. I cannot see the connection between what he is explaining and what is shown here. I thought the problem was inside a van. It appears to us to be a part of something thats been removed and displayed for the picture.

P

erhaps he can explain

Mrs T, its not my water damage, the photo's are of the vinyl after it was removed from the van conversion that I saw. I can only assume that it was damaged by the owner by whatever means.When I poked my nose inside it stank of bleach. Then when I saw it later the vinyl had been removed.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have read some pretty pointless posts, but yours takes the biscuit, I mean anything could have happened, perhaps the owner was incontinent, and used bleach to mask the smell. :-S It seemed your point was to denigrate PVC conversions, when anyone knows that anything of any type of construction has the potential for leaks either external or internal.

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-09-28 7:09 AM

I have read some pretty pointless posts, but yours takes the biscuit,.

Your not kidding!lol But as I suspected it is real rubbish vinyl......what make van is it again? :D

One thing I will make perfectly clear, I'm not, or ever will, rubbish van conversions. I used to own one. I would still have it to this day but my other half was never happy with the bed being situated next to the rear doors, she was always complaining of a draught so we let it go. They have come a long way since then and door seals seem to have improved. That was in 2005 and it was an I.H. Savannah Irmeo. No doubt it will be still on the road to this day giving its owners plenty of pleasure. Coach builts can give far more build quality problems than van conversions.

Mrs T - 2013-09-27 6:21 PM

Pictures

I was hoping to copy one of the picture, but clearly not possible, so...........

The sight of your vinyl tongued and grooved reminds me of a situation, probably 50+ years ago, when my mother finally persuaded my dad to put a proper floor down in our little terraced house .

The quarry tiles were taken up and a "proper" concrete screeded floor laid. My dad, being a builder, gave up his sunday off to do the work. Mother was very happy.

A couple of weeks later, after the screed had dried out my dad came home from a day of hard graft, and nearly feinted, when he walked into the house. My mother was proudly showing off her new vinyl floor. A very close match to the Quarry tiles that he had been torn up some weeks before.!

Regards

alan b

rolandrat - 2013-09-27 3:53 PM

I thought I'd mentioned the layout but after back tracking I can see that I haven't so I can tell you that it has a rear lounge layout with an offside toilet and wardrobe On the nearside is the kitchen cooker and sink then the sliding door. The staining was noticed behind the front drivers and passenger seats and for some distance rearwards. I'll have another go at putting the photo's on.

... nobody has mentioned that perhaps one of the previous occupants was 'attacked' by the dreaded axe-wielding gassing gang in Spain ... or alternatively dropped a large pot of chilli all over the floor .... you decide which you prefer to believe! >:-)

In a slightly more adult vein. Water ingress implies that water is coming from outside,egress if going out.

I have a problem with rain water ponding on the flat roof and finding its way into the roof lining. Then it drips onto the interior, at a rally I was told of a product called EPDM, this is a rubber paint which is applied and levels itself out. It seemingly has very good adhesion and is totally waterproof. If anyone has experience of this please let us all know.

Guest JudgeMental
Slapping on a coating of roofing membrane does not address the problem of poor seals. I would attend to the problems on roof properly and park so water does not stand anywhere...use levelling blocks if need be. But if an old banger maybe try the paint if looking fir a quick bodge....

WA Michael - 2013-09-30 7:04 AM

I have a problem with rain water ponding on the flat roof and finding its way into the roof lining. Then it drips onto the interior, at a rally I was told of a product called EPDM, this is a rubber paint which is applied and levels itself out. It seemingly has very good adhesion and is totally waterproof. If anyone has experience of this please let us all know.

As Eddie(Judge') says, you'd probably be better off just resealing the seams/mouldings/vents where the water is pooling around.....

(...I should imagine that this "rubber paint" idea would be more applicable if the surface itself was porous?)....

Archived