Air Suspension

tonyfletcher

Hiya

I am looking into having air suspension fitted to my vehicle. It's a coach built 7.5 m weighing a max of 4.25 t

I am not looking for increased payload as I know that it is not possible, but I am more interested in ride quality

What do you Guys think? Any experiences good or bad?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony..

We've had a "basic",no pump or gauges,Dunlop set (from Marcle leisure) fitted to our Renault(3.8T 7mtr CB) for 3 years. I was just after a little more rear ground clearance, due to it occasionally grounding the one end of the rear bumper on our steep 'drive.

But it has also really reduced the amount of body roll on bends/roundabouts ...

Well worth the money... ;-)

I fitted the same basic Dunlop kit from Marcle Leisure to a Cheyenne when upgrading to 3850kg and it certainly did improve the ride.

Fitting is pretty simple and the instructions generally clear, but one tip they don't give you is to compress the bellows by hand and tie a length of wire or string around it as it makes it so much easier to slip the bellows into the gap twixt axle and chassis whiping the wire out when it's in place.

I had air fitted by Armatiges when they did my tow bar, I noticed the much better ride and a lot less body role as soon as I drove it home (Hampshire). One of the best extras I added to our CB, but I did later reduce the pressure as the ride was a bit harsh when we are not towing. Mine has the gauges but not the compressor, I think it was firestone.

Hi Tony,

Another vote for the Dunlop system from Marcle Leisure from me as well!

I fitted the system to help with body roll and have to say it is fantastic.

Following on from Rich's tip to tie the bellows closed, when ours arrived they where compressed and the air line connection was plugged so that they where in effect holding a vacuum. As soon as the plug was pulled the bellows extended, simples!

Again I only have the basic system with 2 Schrader valves to inflate each side separately and have no intention of changing from that.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
Remember its air assist not full air suspension..a far more expensive conversion. Have had the basic set up (no compressor or gauge) on a few vehicles and it works reasonably well.....lots of info if you use the search function.

Another vote for the Dunlop system from Marcle. My basic option was straightforward to fit and very effective. After fitting I found one had a slight leak, Marcle replaced it straight away and refunded my postage, very efficient If fitting them raises the back of the vehicle, you may have to re-adjust the height of the headlamp beams for the MOT.

Brian B.

ps On my Hymer I have them set at 25--30 psi.

Another very satisfied air suspension user, fitted the Dunlop type from Marcie leisure, it took a bit longer than expected as it a Renault master with a alko chassis, but the end result is very worthwhile ,

It's much quieter at the rear with hardly ant roll on corners, but best of all large coaches passing quickly don't have any effect anymore ,

IMHO money well spent!

I'm not really concerned about the stability of our van, or the roll when cornering. And the back end is already a tad high. BUT what I've often wondered is whether air suspension, such as many of you have fitted - would make the ride more compliant? I have the tyres at the lowest pressure for the load on them, but the ride, especially the rear is really harsh - bangs and clatters over every bump. And always has done since new.

Van is 3 years old, just passed its first MOT and done 18,000 miles from new.

Would air suspension make the ride more supple?

Thanks for any replies and hope I'm not hi-jacking the OP's thread.

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

"Would air suspension make the ride more supple? "

Yes it would but cost a bomb....what is being discussed here is far cheaper air "assist" consisting of two adjustable rubber balls...

JudgeMental - 2013-10-02 7:43 PM

"Would air suspension make the ride more supple? "

Yes it would but cost a bomb....what is being discussed here is far cheaper air "assist" consisting of two adjustable rubber balls...

And would 'air-assist' help, or is it not worth bothering for what I want to achieve?

The other thing I've considered is different tyres - currently on original Continentals, but wonder if different brand would give less harsh ride?

mikebeaches - 2013-10-02 7:56 PM

And would 'air-assist' help, or is it not worth bothering for what I want to achieve?

Mornin' Mike

If you're happy enough with the rear ground clearance and what ever body roll(or lack of) you have at present, then personally I'm not sure if I'd bother...

I'm not saying they won't improve the ride at all(..so calm yourselves, pedants ;-) ) but they don't magically turn it into some sort magic carpet ride, which'll float over bumps...

As I said earlier, I fitted ours for a specific purpose(increased rear ride height)and I was happy enough with the body roll/"handling" on ours as it was..

..but the fitting of the air assisters, really did highlight just how much body roll it originally had... ;-)

pepe63 - 2013-10-03 9:00 AM

mikebeaches - 2013-10-02 7:56 PM

Mornin' Mike

If you're happy enough with the rear ground clearance and what ever body roll(or lack of) you have at present, then personally I'm not sure if I'd bother...

I'm not saying they won't improve the ride at all(..so calm yourselves, pedants ;-) ) but they don't magically turn it into some sort magic carpet ride, which'll float over bumps...

As I said earlier, I fitted ours for a specific purpose(increased rear ride height)and I was happy enough with the body roll/"handling" on ours as it was..

..but the fitting of the air assisters, really did highlight just how much body roll it originally had... ;-)

That's helpful thanks! Yes, a magic carpet ride was exactly what I was hoping for - probably totally unrealistic. It's just that I find driving the X250 is excellent in pretty much every other respect, but the rough riding suspension is a bit of a let-down. Used to have a Rapido with the previous model Ducato, and find the current model hugely improved apart from the suspension.

And I assume the Euro 5 models are just the same as our Euro 4 in that respect? ie no change to the suspension.

Mike

morning folks,

Ambulances have full air suspension fitted and some have been retro fitted so there must be some merit in fitting. VB has been appointed the partner for fiat. Drinkwaters vehicle engineerig are vastly experienced in this kind of modification. The viability of fitting it to three year old vehicle should be carefully considered. The last price I had for a panel van was around the £3500. mark. There is also the bonus of not having to carry levellers as well.

norm

Archived