Fridge/Freezer on a Long Ferry

GrahamPye

What do people do about keeping their freezer frozen while they are on a long (e.g. overnight) ferry crossing? I know that I can't leave it running on gas (or at least I'm not supposed to!) and if I changed the wiring to run on 12V I'd probably flatten the (leisure) battery before we arrived.

We asked P&O if it was possible to plug your van into the ship's power like the big artics do, but they said that although it might be possible it couldn't be guaranteed.

Thoughts?

Graham (2013 Auto Trail Navajo)

GrahamPye - 2013-10-03 4:01 PM

What do people do about keeping their freezer frozen while they are on a long (e.g. overnight) ferry crossing? I know that I can't leave it running on gas (or at least I'm not supposed to!) and if I changed the wiring to run on 12V I'd probably flatten the (leisure) battery before we arrived.

We asked P&O if it was possible to plug your van into the ship's power like the big artics do, but they said that although it might be possible it couldn't be guaranteed.

Thoughts?

Graham (2013 Auto Trail Navajo)

Hi Graham

Well, there are those who say take nothing with you, but they are people who presumably don't mind starting their holidays by shopping.

I'd rather chill out as soon as possible.

What we do is turn the fridge on about 12 hours before going to the ferry, plus freeze a couple of bottles of water, or milk ( or once or twice we've used ice-packs ) and stick 'em in the fridge.

We have been on ferries for up to 26 hours using this method and never had a problem with anything defrosting to an unusable condition.

Has worked every time on the shorter, 6 hour, crossings that we normally use.

;-)

...and besides, I would've thought that as long as everything is frozen right down beforehand...and you don't open the door,it should stay pretty well frozen overnight...

We've managed to keep bottles of water and fruit juices,frozen overnight in just a cool-box, in a tent....

(..I don't think I'd want to be doing that with seafood, mind... (lol) )

Sorry Malc -I crossed your post.

We generally need diesel within a few hours of landing so shopping is a good time to combine a cuppa and comfort stop with food and fuel especially as supermarkets are so common in France and there is never a problem with any supermarket we have used accepting UK credit cards, whereas there still is with branded filling stations sometimes and that I do not need when low on fuel.

Plus a wander round a large Super U, Leclerc or Carrefour gets you in the mood for some things Francais!

We've used a few ferries of 12 to 16 hours. (We have never been to France, apart from Calais for a few minutes *-) )

Make sure the fridge is full, pack it out with any packing if required.

A few hours before turn it up high to bring the temperature down and obviously if you need to open the door close it quickly.

That's what works for us in Northern Europe...never been south to the hot countries!

We did get a hookup on the Harwich to Hook once but it is a gamble.

It's frozen stuff that we're most concerned about - although we're happy to live off the local produce once we arrive, and I like looking round the local shops as much as anyone - herself likes to take a whole pile of her own ready cooked dishes in plastic boxes (we've discovered that you can get a load of Chinese takeaway plastic boxes stacked in the freezer compartment!) so that cooking is just a question of heating up and adding a few veg.

Good to hear that EJB did once get a hook-up, and that others believe that things will stay cold.

We're considering the Hull to Rotterdam ferry next year, after a nightmare trip round the M25 and up the M1 on the way back from Dover this year :'(

Graham

Hi Graham

I asked this same question 12 months ago and the advice given then, which has not been mentioned this time, was to use frozen peas to pack around the food as well as freezer packs. And it worked. We were on the ferry (Portsmouth - Bilboa) for 30 hours.

Have a good trip.

John

GrahamPye - 2013-10-03 5:03 PM

...- herself likes to take a whole pile of her own ready cooked dishes in plastic boxes (we've discovered that you can get a load of Chinese takeaway plastic boxes stacked in the freezer compartment!) so that cooking is just a question of heating up and adding a few veg.

Graham

Again,I would've thought if they're frozen right down and the freezer is pre-chilled,they should be okay overnight...

We take pre-homemade curries/chilli with us in a cool box when we're tenting/festival-ling..and they stay frozen over night.... ;-)

I suppose you could always try a couple at home, whilst on the drive'...?

Graham,

If you want to check that the food is still frozen without having to open the freezer then get a fridge/freezer thermometer that has a probe. Something like this possibly... Link

Then you can check the temperature after the crossing without losing any more cold.

Keith.

GrahamPye - 2013-10-03 5:03 PM

We're considering the Hull to Rotterdam ferry next year, after a nightmare trip round the M25 and up the M1 on the way back from Dover this year :'(

Graham

We used the Newcastle to Gothenburg ( Sweden ) ferry a few years back and stuff was still frozen when we got there.

;-)

Archived