M/H parking V objecting councils

Will86

There is of course a very easy solution for those town councils who object to Motorhome users not using the town's facilities when they park overnight.

Issue an overnight ticket combined as a groceries voucher to be used in local shops.

The problem may be the distance from the town but there are surely mobile suppliers who could call.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A decent idea but the fact is many local councils are not interested in attracting Motorhomes or their passengers. You cannot park in many places during the day never mind overnight due to height barriers car sized spaces or other restrictions. The perceived views of the councils are that Motorhomes are a nuisance and the fact that they park up (often quite legally) which leads to the locals objecting means the easiest option to prevent hassle from local residents and perhaps help them to get re-elected next time is to ban us. It really does annoy us that we have a legal road vehicle that is excluded from many car parks for no good reason.

I don't think the legality of the vehicle is relevant, a 40 tonne artic. is also legal and .I'm sure you wouldn't argue that they should be able to park wherever they want. The councis are democratically elected to represent their electorate and not the visting motorhome owner. So if enough voters object the council will take action and the residents will feel pleased, that is how democracy works.

Muswell - 2013-10-12 4:43 PM

I don't think the legality of the vehicle is relevant, a 40 tonne artic. is also legal and .I'm sure you wouldn't argue that they should be able to park wherever they want. The councis are democratically elected to represent their electorate and not the visting motorhome owner. So if enough voters object the council will take action and the residents will feel pleased, that is how democracy works.

Actually I don't want to park 'anywhere' as you put it , we want and are prepared to pay any reasonable parking charge in a suitable parking area. My point was that we are unable to visit many areas due to car park restrictions. The 40 tonne Artic comment is fatuous we are talking private leisure vehicles here. You are correct of course about the motivation of councilors as i alluded to in my post.

For me it's just about the 'ability' to be able to park legally at all ! There is a recognised list of places where 44 tonne artics can park up legally, a similar list for Motorhomes (who also get 'Tired drivers' and need to rest) would be very welcome. A booklet with them All in, I am sure , would sell well amongst Motorhome owners, Then we would know which Holiday destinations wanted our custom, and which did not.

As they say it's 'not rocket science'. The worst thing is driving to a Seaside destination only to find that you (me) are not welcome, even for a short stay to go to the shops. (a few places in Cornwall were like that, I won't be going back in a hurry). Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-10-12 8:24 PM

For me it's just about the 'ability' to be able to park legally at all ! There is a recognised list of places where 44 tonne artics can park up legally, a similar list for Motorhomes (who also get 'Tired drivers' and need to rest) would be very welcome. A booklet with them All in, I am sure , would sell well amongst Motorhome owners, Then we would know which Holiday destinations wanted our custom, and which did not.

As they say it's 'not rocket science'. The worst thing is driving to a Seaside destination only to find that you (me) are not welcome, even for a short stay to go to the shops. (a few places in Cornwall were like that, I won't be going back in a hurry). Ray

Ray,

It just so happens that MMM already publish such a book... Link.

Keith. (Not that I've ever used it though).

i think that you will find it,s the unelected officers who make these rules not the elected members there is no democracy in most of these decisions.

I think that one day in the very distant future someone with lots of brains and superior knowledge etc will take the councils to the highest courts in the land and it will be found that actually height barriers are descrimitory (is that a word) against vehicles who pay vehicle road tax . And therefore should have the same rights to park as any other vehicle. It's height descrimination and one day it will be illegal as is sex descrimination and race descrimination and even age descrimination lol. . I pays my dues and I should have a right to park but I don't I'm penalised for being tall yet they still want my road tax unfair methinks.pp

Pampam - 2013-10-12 10:11 PM

I think that one day in the very distant future someone with lots of brains and superior knowledge etc will take the councils to the highest courts in the land and it will be found that actually height barriers are descrimitory (is that a word) against vehicles who pay vehicle road tax . And therefore should have the same rights to park as any other vehicle. It's height descrimination and one day it will be illegal as is sex descrimination and race descrimination and even age descrimination lol. . I pays my dues and I should have a right to park but I don't I'm penalised for being tall yet they still want my road tax unfair methinks.pp

Agreed.

Personally I am of the opinion that bright red cars are offensive to my eyes.

Therefore I think the local council should ban all red cars from car parks. A simple colour check by laser and a set of rising bollards on all car parks should do it.

Or maybe that would be discrimination on the grounds of colour?

H

Pampam - 2013-10-12 10:11 PM

Wise words mate do you mean sexy old tall foreigners who pay tax should be allowed to park?

hallii - 2013-10-13 10:13 AM

Personally I am of the opinion that bright red cars are offensive to my eyes.

Therefore I think the local council should ban all red cars from car parks. A simple colour check by laser and a set of rising bollards on all car parks should do it.

Or maybe that would be discrimination on the grounds of colour?

H

Bugger I've got a Motorhome and a Red car everyone is against me !!!!

bigal55 - 2013-10-12 10:06 PM

i think that you will find it,s the unelected officers who make these rules not the elected members there is no democracy in most of these decisions.

Bigal55 - Sorry but not the case, I've worked in local government for over 30 years (but now retired) and can assure you that the issue is all about local bye laws and national laws. Plus the highly complex planning laws which require the council to recognise a parking bay as a campsite if they are to allow overnight sleeping!

The fact is that our UK laws on this aspect are soooo different to French, German, Spanish (do they have any (lol) ). So this is one part of motorhoming life that might improve if we (ever) get fully integrated into the EU. By the way I am totally against integration as are many others. But like to take full advantage of the different situation when we get across the channel. Maybe the Scots will legalise overnight stays everywhere if they become independent - but then we would have to put up with the miserable weather and the midges. (lol)

Matrix Meanderer - 2013-10-13 3:23 PM

Plus the highly complex planning laws which require the council to recognise a parking bay as a campsite if they are to allow overnight sleeping!

Well that's a bit of a show-stopper. I bet there are lots of planning problems about designating a place as a camp-site.

Easyliving - 2013-10-12 11:41 AM

Sounds like quite a good idea to me. Similar(ish) scheme is used with some aires in France where you have to go to certain shops to get your jeton / token when you park up. While you are in the shop they obviously hope you are going to spend some money.

Paul

It's a good idea in theory but in practice having maybe driven some distance do you really want to have to play hunt the Jeton, only to find the shop/Mairie has run out of them, or the assistant has no idea what they are, or the place is shut!

We have had some over the years and now we just don't bother with any Aire needing a Jeton for anything which kinda defeats the object of encouraging use somewhat.

Muswell - 2013-10-13 4:50 PM

Plus the highly complex planning laws which require the council to recognise a parking bay as a campsite if they are to allow overnight sleeping!

Well that's a bit of a show-stopper. I bet there are lots of planning problems about designating a place as a camp-site.

Too right Muswell - you hit the nail on the head.

This is why we have lots of excellent CLs - because this is a relatively simple (if there is such a thing in planning legislation) to provide cheap overnight accommodation with up to 5 pitches on a privately owned piece of land. Councils and Parish Councils could of course do this but the reality is that very few do. One excellent parish council run CL we have used is at Puddletown Recreation Ground near Dorchester. It's a Caravan Club CL. Works a treat and you can use the sports pavilion facilities as well. There are others.

It's not just about motorhomes is it? It's about the tradesman who uses his works van for business and pleasure , the old folks going out for the day to the coast in the minibus . Kids going out in the minibus from school . Paying just as much tax and insurance and mot as anybody else and yet being descriminated against for being a high vehicle : Is it because they think a bunch of travellers are going to turn up and camp cos I'm sure a height barrier wouldn't stop em they'd saw it down and weigh it in if they really wanted to camp there so why do we have the barriers?? PP.

Matrix Meanderer - 2013-10-13 5:57 PM

Muswell - 2013-10-13 4:50 PM

to quote pampam, DON'T WANT TO OVERNIGHT I JUST WANT TO PARK!!!!!

forget cls & campsites parking in towns is a problem, i have no problem in paying, always use sites or cls to sleep but would like to park in a carpark in a bay, pay and notl get a ticket because i am over weight,not a car or a motorcycle or some other restriction that stops us spending money in the town,

Archived