Frige not working on gas

Rees

We have an Autocruise Accent motorhome made in 2010 which is equipped with a Thetford refrigerator, Model no. N80 NllFO1L 2M, Serial number E022L0042.

Last week we visited Fife in Scotland for a family wedding. For two days the van was parked on a somewhat slope behind the house where we were staying with (we think) the fridge turned on using LPG.

When we came to use the van two days later although the fridge worked on the van battery and on the mains electricity supply but it would not work on LPG although the burner indicator had moved from the red to the green zone.

We took the van to Perthshire Caravans (near Perth) but they would not help us and said that we would need to book the van in for service in about a week’s time which we could not do as we were returning home to Cardiff. However, they also stated that we should switch the refrigerator to LPG on a camp site which was level in the hope that it might start working again. And to our great pleasure the fridge did start to work again when on the level site.

I have looked carefully in the Autocruise manual that came with the van and in the Thetford guide to the refrigerator but there is nothing specific about the need to park the van on a level surface. We do know, however, that some refrigerators do not work when the van is parked on a slope.

Is anyone able to enlighten me? Many thanks for taking the time to read this request for information.

I don't know where you get 15 degrees from Lenny.

Thetford quote in the FAQ of their website....

"How level must the refrigerator be?

If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, normal leveling of the vehicle is sufficient. The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (looking at the front of the refrigerator)."

Link.

So pretty damn level is the answer :-(

Keith.

Archived