Confused over televisions - help please.

william1

This is a follow on from my previous thread re failed monitor on Autotrail Media pack. I am going to replace the monitor with a television but I am struggling to see the difference between a one specific for caravans/mhs etc. and those available in Tesco etc. bearing in mind that they both operate off 12 volts into the television. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some more expensive motorhome type TVs may have a wider viewing angle than the cheaper supermarket ones. Having said that, we have a Tesco 22" Technika and its brill except that this model is 230v only, which i use with a small inverter when off EHU. I will be changing to a 12v version in the future.

I feel that the picture quality is about the same on most of these and it really depends on the integrity of the source.

If you have a good sensitive Tuner and a good ariel you may get a good Freeiew picture, however, we have a Sky HD box connected to the TV by HDMI and the picture is a mile better than our pal's Avtex over Freeview.

Pays yer money and takes your choice as they say.

As Chris says check the viewing angle and picture quality, the standard fit in our van was an expensive Camos TV, poor viewing angle & poor picture quality I replaced it with a Cello Traveler normally I would not buy an expensive 12v TV but at the time I found one supplier offering them £55 cheaper than anyone else (think I paid £169 for a 19") never seen the same price since, it has both Freeview & Freesat tuners + DVD.

Any TV that has 12v as it's supply should work OK don't believe the scaremongering that they must have a stabilized supply even if it was true and it failed I'm sure it would happen in the 1st year then you could return it under warranty.

Guest JudgeMental
maybe worth mentioning....If you intend to spend any time winter camping in Spain, and use TV connection on pitch, worth making sure TV has "analogue" as well, as some channels down here including BBC 1 only available on analogue and not digital. A few camping near me with their expensive new TV's upset as they cant watch the BBC soaps....

Just a point, Freeview and Freesat use exactly the same signals to send programming via satellite or terrestrial masts, all boxes use these signals.

So a Freeview and/or Freesat box will give the same picture quality as any other box including HD.

Of course you won't get any pay channels, but I don't want them.

I purchased a Kogan, quite cheap, with Freeview built in and use a satellite receiver abroad. The Kogan has a 12v to 12v stabiliser as standard. It works fine, the viewing angle is a bit narrow but that's not a problem unless you want to watch from the side. It pulls 2amps which is reasonable and has a built in DVD.

H

I agree with bolero i have 2 tvs in van,living room is technika from tescos about £130, bedroom one is a no name brand but looks identical to the technika cost £100 from the factory shop,19 inch and 17, both work fine,bedroom one is on wall bracket so it can be angled for veiwing,can also plug a hard drive or memory stick in 19inch.

This year we were on the aire near Honfluer and talking to a guy with an A class we got on the subject of televisions I said the tv / sat system on our Auto-Trail was factory fitted and worked really well. He asked how long we could watch tv I said as long as we liked with solar panel and 2 leisure batts , he said his power only lasted 2 / 3 hrs on his 2 leisure batts . he then stated his was only a Tesco tv which he ran direct from 12v socket not a dedicated 12v tv also that the 12v plug / socket often got really hot , so it appears that although the Tesco tv is classed as mains / 12v its not really suilable as a stand alone 12v system which obviously draws more power than a proper 12v one.

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-10-20 10:25 AM

maybe worth mentioning....If you intend to spend any time winter camping in Spain, and use TV connection on pitch, worth making sure TV has "analogue" as well, as some channels down here including BBC 1 only available on analogue and not digital. A few camping near me with their expensive new TV's upset as they cant watch the BBC soaps....

Talking to the chap who installed wifi on our pitch in January, and also installed individual pitch satellite TV, he reckoned viewing UK TV in Spain will soon move onto computers via broadband? (?)

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-10-20 11:05 AM

That is another point worth mentioning Geoff, current consumption important to people like me who never use hook-ups, the 17" Camos took 4 amps the 19" Cello draws 1.5 amps.

Yes we too have a Cello, but a 15inch one, with the dedicated 12 volt regulated power supply, that draws less than 1 amp echoing Lennys experience.Our previous setup using the same size mains only TV via our inverter consumed far more power. Like many though the sound is crap, but we use a tiny USB re-chargeable speaker which has been covered before and it is astonishing the improvement. Yes viewing angle is less than ideal, but given we are sitting more or less in the same place each time, unlike a domestic situation it is fine.

And it is a British product apparently.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-20 12:30 PM

Yes we too have a Cello, but a 15inch one, with the dedicated 12 volt regulated power supply, that draws less than 1 amp echoing Lennys experience.Our previous setup using thy e same size mains only TV via our inverter consumed far more power. Like many though the sound is crap, but we use a tiny USB re-chargeable speaker which has been covered before and it is astonishing the improvement. Yes viewing angle is less than ideal, but given we are sitting more or less in the same place each time, unlike a domestic situation it is fine.

And it is a British product apparently.

Your comment re the tiny USB re-chargeable speaker interests me as hearing getting worse every day! TV is fine when on Freeview but dims considerably on Sky. I find this on all TVs, at home as well. Could you explain a bit more please?

Patricia, this is an interesting one as you say you have the same issue at home so not related to van electrics etc. I'm assuming that the home TV is perhaps a larger unit but the Sky box is the same one, moved to the van for trips?

Also, how do you connect the Sky box to the TV, scary or HDMI, is it a Sky HD box or standard.

Often, TVs give you a picture setting for each input source so you may have it set up diff entry for Freeview and for external sources like SKY.

The default settings for picture are likely to be set very bright as this is what is used in showrooms where customers view during the daylight.

Try changing the couloir, contrast and brightness settings to get the picture you like.

When you do it do it like this......turn the colour down completely. Set the contrast to around half and then bring the brightness up till you have a B&W picture as you like it. Then gently bring up the colour till you get what you like. Many people wind up the colour so much that the skin tones look like oranges!

Good luck.

Can I I just check Onefoot and Lenny's power consumption figure as my schooldays are long gone......

I just checked the 22" Traveller on the Cello website and it runs using 38 watts working (<0.5w in standby) so my calculation for the current draw would be 3.16666 amps (38w divided by 12v). If I have got this wrong, apologies to all including Ohm but just trying to compare these 12v TVs to my current (doh!) one ;-)

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-10-20 5:37 PM

do the TV's being discussed have an analogue tuner as well plse?

My cheapo Morrisons special does ;-)

JudgeMental - 2013-10-20 5:37 PM

do the TV's being discussed have an analogue tuner as well plse?

Eddie, I would say no looking at the website , says digital and satellite (sat tuner in the traveller model I was looking at).

Yes, I know what you were describing earlier about tuning into site TV using an analog tuner. We have a TV in an upstairs room which runs from the Sky box downstairs and it tunes in via an analog signal.....

Archived