Confused over televisions - help please.

william1

Not understanding a word of that technical speak Colin, but why would you need Secam now? I thought only France used that and it is all digital now. My Avtex has analogue and says you have to tune that in first but I never pick up any channels over here now.

Patricia - 2013-10-20 8:50 PM

Not understanding a word of that technical speak Colin, but why would you need Secam now? I thought only France used that and it is all digital now. My Avtex has analogue and says you have to tune that in first but I never pick up any channels over here now.

Just a left over from a bygone age, same as Pal. There might still be people with videos that connect with it.

JudgeMental - 2013-10-20 8:25 PM

http://www.celloelectronics.com/products/detail/73/22/series-103%20Traveller-Cello

sorree..but where does it say it has analogue :-S

Eddie, there must be two entries for the 103 series. They also appear on this page of 5 traveller TVs and they show the tuner types.

Which are the most recent entries I wouldn't know. If I was to buy, I might ring them to ensure the one I was after was still available and did what I wanted.

http://www.celloelectronics.com/products/search/feature/6/Traveller_TV

Guest pelmetman
Patricia - 2013-10-20 8:50 PM

We still picked up analogue channels this year in France and Spain..........and some in English ;-)................although american programs.............and I now know how to kill and gut a Alligator 8-).......

As they say travel..... broadens the mind :D

Guest JudgeMental
Patricia - 2013-10-20 8:56 PM

Thanks Colin. Having said that doesn't Sky operate on the analogue platform?

down in spain many UK channels only broadcast on old analogue channel..not sure about the rest of europe. So if you dont have satellite, advisable to have a TV with an analogue tuner. when the UK sold off all the analogue channels and forced old folk into the expense of digital, an absolute disgrace! along with letting Murdoch take control of satellite, where UK citizens (now that is a laugh) now have to have massive dishes, whereas most Europeans get perfect reception with small dishes..We have been sold a fraud......

You may well need that Analogue receiver in southern areas this winter.

Astra 2F has now lit up the Europe wide beams and as I suspected it is populated with the completely unwatchable - Shopping channels, Betting channels and Religion channels. There is Euro News though. The others are encrypted Sky channels (so if you don't want to pay then there is precious little). The UK beams have the FTA (Free to Air).

Astra 2E is still on test at 42 degrees and will be moving into position soon, when it will take on the remaining BBC and ITV etc stations on the UK beams - presumably the rest of the European beams will be populated with the remaining encrypted channels.

So if you want to watch tv in Spain or Portugal you will have to take your Sky box (if you are paying) which will then give you some channels or go on a site which rebroadcasts on analogue channels - That is if you can find one where they have gone to the extra expense of installing an enormous dish to get the channels in the 1st place.

Oh and before the usual suspects say it - You can take a pile of books or an e reader.

Archived