The right oil?

Tracker

Guest 1footinthegrave
I can just imagine the average mechanic going to the lengths demonstrated on here to ensure the right oil goes in, why not a simple under bonnet sticker so everyone knows. 8-) I was once told my oil should be fully synthetic, seems not to be the case.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-23 2:24 PM

I can just imagine the average mechanic going to the lengths demonstrated on here to ensure the right oil goes in, why not a simple under bonnet sticker so everyone knows. 8-) I was once told my oil should be fully synthetic, seems not to be the case.

I think yours will be the same as mine 10W40 semi-synthetic A3/B4, that way the crank seal won`t leak.

Hi,
He/She should with modern engines , again 5W 30 C2 is  indeed not needed as stated above for non DPF.    It is however recommended  for engines with DPF. 
Fully synthetic 5W 40 provided it has the following specification, Acea a3 /b4.
Api : SJ/CF   SC/CF for your engine if 2.2 HDI (120) non DPI is recommended. Contact your Peugeot/Citreon dept'
Regards,
Brendan

As far as I am aware A1/B1 and A5/B5 oils are low viscoisty oils and only go up to 30, so there is no way you can have a A5/B5 5W40, it must be a 5W/30.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/29E3DA973265B98C80257B8A0056A629/$File/BPXE-98RP5S.pdf is Professional A5 /B5 and is a ford spec oil. It is not a PSA spec oil.

To get similar oil in a PSA spec oil you need to use a C2 oil. The large oil companies are not going to make an oil specific for non PDF PSA engines when one exists which is approved for both DPF and non DPF. The C2 spec supercedes the original A5 B5 oil for PSA engines before DPF was fitted.

Or if you prefer, when the Euro5 came along the new Euro 5 engine oil superceded the Euro4 engine oil, and can be used in both engines. You may be stuck with using a C2 oil or a 5W40 which is not the recommended oil except at high ambient temeratures.

onecal - 2013-10-23 2:42 PM

Hi,

He/She should with modern engines , again 5W 30 C2 is  indeed not needed as stated above for non DPF.    It is however recommended  for engines with DPF. 
Api : SJ/CF   SC/CF for your engine if 2.2 HDI (120) non DPI is recommended. Contact your Peugeot/Citreon dept'
Regards,
Brendan

If this from the manual and if so what date is the manual publication please?

edit - because I have that as the spec up to 2006.

Southender - 2013-10-23 8:20 AM

You`ll never know what the dealer puts in it unless you see them actually do it.

Whatever they got the best deal on i suspect.

Mine left the bottle with what was left over for use in topping up. Conspiracy theorists will argue that proves nothing.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-23 4:40 PM

So is anyone the wiser yet ? :-S the mechanics waiting. ;-)

It's hardly critical.

For a Euro4 Boxer 2.2 the 'Warranty & Maintenace Record' authorises anything from 10w/40 semi-synth through to 5w/30 anti-pollution synthetic i.e. Total Quartz 7000, 9000, Energy & Ineo are all good.

Chuck almost anything in it, it'll be fine. This thread is getting a bit over the top.

Steve928 - 2013-10-23 5:00 PM

Chuck almost anything in it, it'll be fine.

This thread is getting a bit over the top.

Despite what you think I, and most of us on here, believe that the correct grade of oil is an essential part of any modern engine - ask the guys that work on them.

Why else would vehicle makers go the trouble to specify it in great detail when they don't make oil themselves and therefore should have no bias - other than to the oil company that pays them to be it's brand of choice?

You can chuck any old oil in your own vehicles if you like and do please let us know the results in due course.

If you find the topic boring the cure is simples - stop looking at it - nobody is forcing you!

Meanwhile those who have learned something that might just save them the cost of a new turbo and a whole shed load of aggravation breaking down abroad might just feel differently?

Tracker - 2013-10-23 6:48 PM

Steve928 - 2013-10-23 5:00 PM

Chuck almost anything in it, it'll be fine.

This thread is getting a bit over the top.

Despite what you think I, and most of us on here, believe that the correct grade of oil is an essential part of any modern engine - ask the guys that work on them.

Why else would vehicle makers go the trouble to specify it in great detail when they don't make oil themselves and therefore should have no bias - other than to the oil company that pays them to be it's brand of choice?

You can chuck any old oil in your own vehicles if you like and do please let us know the results in due course.

If you find the topic boring the cure is simples - stop looking at it - nobody is forcing you!

Meanwhile those who have learned something that might just save them the cost of a new turbo and a whole shed load of aggravation breaking down abroad might just feel differently?

You're way off the mark. My vehicles always get the exact oil specified by the manufacturer.

For yours, I already told you what the correct oil specified by Peugeot is in post number 8 - why are you choosing to ignore that information and what extra information are you now seeking?

Steve928 - 2013-10-23 7:18 PM

You're way off the mark. My vehicles always get the exact oil specified by the manufacturer.

For yours, I already told you what the correct oil specified by Peugeot is in post number 8 - why are you choosing to ignore that information and what extra information are you now seeking?

So why suggest to others that they use 'almost anything'?

Everyone else on this thread has managed to keep it polite - so why can't you?

You are way off the mark - I've not asked more questions other than in response to the postings of others which sometimes create more questions than they answer.

So I repeat - if you are bored just don't look anymore?

Meanwhile those of us who are still interested can carry on - if that is OK with you?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Surely a simple telephone call to Peugeot could have established this information easier. ;-) but yes it is a minefield one has to trust the "professionals to get it right, are there any on here, somehow I doubt it.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-23 8:04 PM

Surely a simple telephone call to Peugeot could have established this information easier.

Now why didn't I think of that?

But think of the useful knowledge that we would all have been spared from - sorry I mean missed out on!

onecal - 2013-10-23 3:05 PMHi, I think Trackers is a "non DPF" 2010 Auto Sleeper  Peugeot 2,2 HDI   E4
 Contact your Peugeot/Citreon dept' re above.
Regards,
Brendan

With modern engines , again 5W 30 C2 is  indeed not needed as stated above for non DPF.    It is however recommended  for engines with DPF. 
Api : SJ/CF   SC/CF for your engine if 2.2 HDI (120) non DPI is recommended. Contact your Peugeot/Citreon dept' if in any doubt.
Whatever oil you use change it regularly.Chucking any old oil at a modern engine now ,will result in chucking more money at it later. the correct spec' oil for the engine to hand is critical for the working life of the engine.
Regards,
Brendan.

Archived