Calor Lite

Pete-B

Just topped up my 11kg Gaslow as gauge was going down to red.....(gauge useless really) and got in almost 11 litres, which is about half and about what fits in a 6kg Calor.

At 69p per litre this cost me about £7.50, compare that with a Calor refill at roughly £22........gulp.

Guest 1footinthegrave

OP, don't even think about it, I used to carry 4 Calor lite bottles for our extended France trips. The last time I exchanged 2 it cost me nearly £50, I now have a single Gasit bottle, that holds almost the same amount as two Calor lites, cost to fill £17. ;-)

The freedom it gave us on our last trip was fantastic, just do it, I only wish I had years ago. ;-) Here's a breakdown of our kit, £230 incl delivery, but on my figures just on one trip it's saved me approx £70, a no brainer, not to mention the sheer convenience.

GI-VB-002 REFILLABLE VAPOUR BOTTLE 26.5LTR 11KG WITH INDICATOR 1 95.83 95.83

GI-FP-002 ANGLED JIC FIXED BAYONET FILL POINT 1 13.62 13.62

GI-FP-015 70MM FILL BOX FOR FLUSH MOUNTING FILL POINT 1 6.27 6.27

GI-FH-003 1 MTR SxS JIC FILL HOSE E67.01 1 14.50 14.50

GI-ACCS-070A ANGLED GAS IT GAS FILTER WITH

REPLACEABLE FILTER CARTRIDGE

1 12.48 12.48

GI-ACCS-024 VAPOUR TANK TO POL REGULATOR ADAPTOR 1 6.314 6.31

GI-0011 GAS IT 3 PART EUROPEAN FILL KIT 1 36.16 36.16

GI-FA-007 21.8mm replacement rubber for bayonet fill adaptor 1 2.10 2.10

GI-FP-009 MOUNTING SUPPORT FOR FILL POINT 1 5.46 5.46

GI-LS GAS IT 25ML LEAK TEST SPRAY 1 0.00 0.00

GI-0001W GAS IT WHITE BODY PROTECTOR RING 1 0.00 0.00

GI-0001C GAS IT CYMRU STICKER 1 0.00 0.00

FREE DEL GAS IT and FES AUTOGAS FREE DELIVERY. 1 0.00 0.00

I sometimes wish we used more gas..as I'd quite like the idea of a refillable system...

But as most of our "summer" cooking is done outside(either on a bbq or a camping stove)and in the winter(as our breaks are only usually short)we tend to eat the "main meal" out somewhere anyway..

Pete-B

If you've the room( and payload!)switching to a 13kg Calor bottle will almost halve the cost of the gas straight away..

I exchanged a Calorlite for a 13kg bottle a couple of years back(although in different "categories" they agreed to swap because I think they were short of 'lites at the time..).

I think our last 13kg bottle was about 25quid(so only a couple of quid more than the 6kg 'lite) and that'll last us a year.....

But as others have said/will say, if you use loads of gas or spend a lot of time on the continent, then maybe bite the bullet and spend out on a refillable system..

Guest 1footinthegrave

Of course it depends on your usage, and perhaps lugging steel 13 Kg cylinders is a form of exercise. As we hate sites with a passion we rarely have mains, can't see the point in extra kit in the way of BBQs, or a camping stove ! ! pardon.

love a hot shower most mornings, and heating when there is a chill in the air can't stand being cold, and the real anti-Christ for some, using our oven on occasions. Conversely a friend of ours never uses anything in his van, preferring as he does sites, a bit lost on me I must admit a top of the range CB then uses communal toilet and shower facilities, but we're all different are we not.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-26 11:50 AM

Of course it depends on your usage, and perhaps lugging steel 13 Kg cylinders is a form of exercise...

I'm sure with lifting it out just once a year, I'll manage.. (lol)

(..and probably no more hassle than playing Connect Four with the collection of cylinders that you've been lugging about for years... (lol) )...

The cooking outside thing..well for us for that's all part of camping I suppose...Personally,I don't want to be cooped up in a van full of steam,cooking smells etc ,I'd far rather be cooking outside with a beer in my hand, on quiet CL/rural site...

pepe63 - 2013-10-26 12:06 PM

Of course it depends on your usage, and perhaps lugging steel 13 Kg cylinders is a form of exercise...

Obviously not drinking enough of it. :D

11kg lasts us 2 weeks.

lennyhb - 2013-10-26 12:17 PM

Obviously not drinking enough of it. :D

11kg lasts us 2 weeks.

I know..it's bizarre how long we seem to make it last...

Admittedly we don't have the heating on that much, as we don't really feel the cold(..and I don't think we've ever left it on overnight?)but we do have the water heating on in the mornings'...

but as we're probably still "tent/campervan campers" at heart, nothing is ever just used or left on,just for the sake of it...

Guest 1footinthegrave

(..and probably no more hassle than playing Connect Four with the collection of cylinders that you've been lugging about for years... (lol) )...

The cooking outside thing..well for us for that's all part of camping I suppose...Personally,I don't want to be cooped up in a van full of steam,cooking smells etc ,I'd far rather be cooking outside with a beer in my hand, on quiet CL/rural site...

Funny really I've never thought of it as camping, but yes your right a van full of cooking smells not nice, I must remember that bloody great sliding door we have, oh and leave the dogs at home, and dig out my old camping stove from years ago when we did tents. :D

Archived