ccc discrimination against non members ?

casey

Hi all,

son tried to book sites as a non member of ccc on website,

came up with " no availability " for two sites. I logged in and

tried the same sites for the same dates and it came up

with availability, i then logged out and tried the same sites again

only to be told " no availability " The sites we tried are open to

non members. I think this is blatant discrimination and have

sent an e mail telling them so, i`ve also told them that because

of thier new pricing policy i will not be renewing my membership

when due. Be interesting thier reply.

casey.

So by the sounds of it, they hold back a few spaces for members then..?

If they didn't, as a member, how would you feel if you tried to book into sites and they were always full of none members?..wouldn't that make you question the point in paying your annual membership fee...?

Besides isn't "discrimination" a bit of strong word to use for such a minor issue.... ;-)

I'm a member of the CC not the CCC. I'd be quite happy for the CC to give priority to a member and not a non-member. After all, I pay a membership fee so I expect some benefits in return.

I can understand your comment about their new fee structure although I don't know how much it will affect members who motorhome all year round.

Casey,

When was your Son trying to book for?

If it was for this season then according to the C&CC website he should have been able to BUT if his booking was for the following season then No he would not be able to yet as bookings open for members a couple of months before non-members.

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-10-26 10:18 PM

Casey,

When was your Son trying to book for?

If it was for this season then according to the C&CC website he should have been able to BUT if his booking was for the following season then No he would not be able to yet as bookings open for members a couple of months before non-members.

Keith.

According to the CCC website, it shouldn't be possible for anyone (member or non-member) to book for the 2014 season yet

""Members can search prices online and book their 2014 camping trips from Thursday 7 November as well as through the Contact Centre (from 8am) whilst non-members can book from Thursday 2 January."

Personally i think the clubs should be MEMBERS ONLY, otherwise why pay to join? Was a member of Cc, but as we did not use there sites, on the one occasion we needed to, not available!, so left , did not see any advantage in being a member, and the magazine was biased towards caravans, hence the names Camping and Caravan Club, Caravan Club, no mention of Motorhomes!

I rest my case

PJay

Brock - 2013-10-26 9:56 PM

I'm a member of the CC not the CCC. I'd be quite happy for the CC to give priority to a member and not a non-member. After all, I pay a membership fee so I expect some benefits in return.

I can understand your comment about their new fee structure although I don't know how much it will affect members who motorhome all year round.

I totally agree Brock, THATS what we pay our membership fees for. Indeed it would be a waste if WE didn't get preferential treatment. If Non-Members don't like it........Then Join. Ray

Casey, think you are wrong, get your son to join.

Hi, As a memberof both clubs,, surely It is right that members should get priority over nonmembers

It should also be a good idea to set the non member price higher than member plus nightly fee, price to give an obvious encouragement to join and help pay for the facilities,.

Having said that, I am concerned about the "flexible pricing" approach being adopted this next season by ccc., and the apparent requirement to book through HQ, rather than turn up and see if you can get in. When on tour, we dont definetly know where we will be, so having to prebook isnt always desireable

Not sure how I feel about changes to cancellation fee rules.Should refunds be given,?. Any main holiday booking generally has clauses regarding refund of deposits and cancellation charges so I suppose we have to expect the club to go down these paths..It is a Business after all.

Tonyg3nwl

I am not a member of either club but I fully support members being given preferential treatment for anything the clubs supply - after all they get little enough else for the price of their annual subscription.

Some reward after all maybe for member loyalty?

tonyg3nwl - 2013-10-27 11:58 AM

Having said that, I am concerned about the "flexible pricing" approach being adopted this next season by ccc., and the apparent requirement to book through HQ, rather than turn up and see if you can get in. When on tour, we dont definetly know where we will be, so having to prebook isnt always desireable

Not sure how I feel about changes to cancellation fee rules.Should refunds be given,?. Any main holiday booking generally has clauses regarding refund of deposits and cancellation charges so I suppose we have to expect the club to go down these paths..It is a Business after all.

Tonyg3nwl

As far as I can ascertain, you can still turn up without booking, it's just that you won't know the cost until you arrive, whereas if booking on line or by phone, you will know the cost at the time of booking and this will not change before you arrive.

I have also found out that some franchisees have opted out of the flexible price structure but again you won't know the price until you book or turn up as all sites are now listed with a 'from' and 'to' price in the new book.

paulmold - 2013-10-27 12:48 PM

As far as I can ascertain, you can still turn up without booking, it's just that you won't know the cost until you arrive, whereas if booking on line or by phone, you will know the cost at the time of booking and this will not change before you arrive.

A good enough reason for not bothering!

Perhaps like the CC they want to discourage the inconvenience of unbooked arrivals as the severe inconvenience caused by an unbooked arrival can seriously disrupt site routine!

Having been in the club for more years than I can remember I have only once booked a site - and I've never known the prices before I arrived, so doesn't sound as if it will make any difference to me.

But then, the ' free spirit ' approach to camping seems to be in decline ( in the U.K ) - CCC sites now becoming " Holiday Sites ".

... and with all the chalets going up, and seasonal pitches, they might well be bought out by Butlins eventually.

;-)

Hello Everyone,

I have responded to a similar thread concerning the new price structure in the C&CC , and like many have been a member for longer than I care to remember. Similarly, I feel the same sense of outrage over the Clubs new pricing system, I have no clear understanding of way the Club has introduced it, I acknowledge that some respondents on this site indicate that C&CC have a 'bad trading year '. What after the best summer for 10 years.

No corperate greed , business ethos and the profit margin seem more likely. I have e mailed the club, but I am not holding my breath that I will get a meaningful response. I am cancelling my direct debit membership renewal arrangements and will consider my options after July 2014 when my longstanding memnbership runs out. BOYCOTT may be the only answer to make pleb power work.

I have also stated that the Club's electricity tariff should be referred to the Ombudsman as I feel the charges are illegal due to excessiveness viz-a-vis actual usage, particularly in the summer months when there should be a seasonal reflection in the tariff.

I know I am wasting my time, but wrong doing will continue to triumph itf we say nothing and submit !

PJay - 2013-10-27 11:22 AM

Personally i think the clubs should be MEMBERS ONLY, otherwise why pay to join? Was a member of Cc, but as we did not use there sites, on the one occasion we needed to, not available!, so left , did not see any advantage in being a member, and the magazine was biased towards caravans, hence the names Camping and Caravan Club, Caravan Club, no mention of Motorhomes!

I rest my case

PJay

Why should either of the clubs include "motorhome" in their title when "caravan" is already there?

Although owners of motor caravans may choose to refer to them as "motorhomes" (and even use "motorhome" as a verb), the proper UK descriptor for such vehicles must be "motor caravan" as that's what appears on their VED disk.

(I blame MMM magazine for this for picking such a daft title. ;-) )

Hi all,

just to clarify, my son was trying to book for nov 27th.

I agree with what you say re the clubs should be for members, and members

should be given priority etc but by charging £7.20 extra for non members and stating

certain sites are open to non members they have levelled the playing field.

Nowhere in any literature does it say any number of sites are reserved for members.

I cannot think of any other word to describe what they are doing other than Discrimination.

I wouldn`t recommend joining the ccc to anyone let alone my son.

I will be interested to see what they reply to my email but wont hold my breath.

casey.

Its a bit of a strange OP this, why would any member of a club advocate non members getting equal treatment to members? In my opinion Club site prices are to high for members and the new pricing structure is a backward step. Non members if allowed should be at least 50% higher than members and should be excluded from advanced booking in my opinion.

Archived