The Great Storm

antony1969

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough

And it's vital that you buy a good camera to photograph the damage, so that your insurance company can't argue. It's also vital that you photograph the roofer as well as most of them are skiving bar stewards who'll sit up there smoking a drinking whilst they're charging you for their time.

You'll need a good DSLR and a long zoom lens, the kind of stuff that you can only get from a high class photographic dealer.

The problem is that 'high class' rules out Yorkshire but I know an excellent firm with branches in Lancashire, Cumbria, Merseyside, Cheshire and Greater Manchester.

I've met the boss and nicer chap you'll seldom come across. Full details by PM of course!

Had Enough - 2013-10-27 8:05 AM

And it's vital that you buy a good camera to photograph the damage, so that your insurance company can't argue. It's also vital that you photograph the roofer as well as most of them are skiving bar stewards who'll sit up there smoking a drinking whilst they're charging you for their time.

You'll need a good DSLR and a long zoom lens, the kind of stuff that you can only get from a high class photographic dealer.

The problem is that 'high class' rules out Yorkshire but I know an excellent firm with branches in Lancashire, Cumbria, Merseyside, Cheshire and Greater Manchester.

I've met the boss and nicer chap you'll seldom come across. Full details by PM of course!

Shame on you frank , that is the most blatant self advertisement ever posted on here . I would never mention we carry out domestic and industrial roofing , pointing , Velux windows and property renovations all at competitive prices , shame on you !

I, too am in the happy position of being able to offer forum members an exclusive service. In anticipation of widespread damage from falling trees, I am about to nip down to the garage to service my chain saws for operational readiness.

Work carried out comes complete with my A1 - 24 Carat - No Quibble - Money Back - (Verbal) guarantee. Elderly persons living alone are a particular speciality of mine.

Symbol Owner - 2013-10-27 12:10 PM

I can offer a full trauma counselling service -- post storm -- but only up to the Wiltshire boundary. !

Colin.

Trapped in by that wretched fence again eh Colin - never mind perhaps a kindly tree will fall onto it and allow you and Roger Rabbit to escape to the real world!

Portable gas heater, portable gas cooker, gas lamps, oil lamps, torches, candles, matches, batteries, battery chargers, spare gas, paraffin, gas mantles, jet pricker, chain saw, open fire - we have it all - except a generator and if it gets bad I'll get one of they too!

We used to live in Cornwall where storms were real storms at any time of the year and power outs were the norm not the unexpected and you learn to cope or be cold and hungry very quickly!

................ and, if you've got a greenhouse, make sure the door is shut !

Many years ago when a severe storm hit us, during the night, a neighbour had left his greenhouse door open ( facing into the wind ).

When one particularly strong gust struck, the greenhouse literally exploded, sending shards of glass across our garden some sixty feet or more. We even found bits of glass embedded in our fence the day after.

:-|

Tracker - 2013-10-27 12:42 PM

Portable gas heater, portable gas cooker, gas lamps, oil lamps, torches, candles, matches, batteries, battery chargers, spare gas, paraffin, gas mantles, jet pricker, chain saw, open fire - we have it all - except a generator and if it gets bad I'll get one of they too!

Whereas the sensible ones amongst us would just go out to the motorhome we had paid a small fortune for, sit down,cook dinner and watch TV. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-10-27 12:42 PM

We used to live in Cornwall where storms were real storms at any time of the year and power outs were the norm not the unexpected and you learn to cope or be cold and hungry very quickly!

Wot need that lot for? :-S.................You've got a camper on the drive ;-)

As Donna has just pointed out too :D

All of the kit we have we have had for many years and was purchased - mainly secondhand - at a time when sitting out in the van with small children during a storm was not a realistic option. It still isn't!

Everything is fine indoors, you're warm and snug, the wind is howling outside and the rain is hissing down, and then the lights go out?

So what do you do?

Stay indoors and swing the plan for light and heat into action - or fight your way out to a cold, damp van carrying whatever bits you think you might need to last until you get fed up or until the lights come back on.

Come on folks - be realistic!

donna miller - 2013-10-27 3:41 PM

It's supposed to be lighthearted Rich, why the need to go into defense or justification mode?

Just shows how easy it is to misinterpret forum postings does it not, and that is something we have all done from time to time, is it not?

Not a defense or a justification - just an explanation and a clarification - just in case anyone was daft enough to choose to be out in a motorhome in a hurricane!

Guest Had Enough

Give the man a break, half of his roof has just crashed through the top of his motorhome so he's going to need all his survival gear after all.

Didn't think about that did they Richard?

Guest pelmetman

It's supposed to be lighthearted Rich, why the need to go into defense or justification mode?

I think he mistook you for Frank 8-).....................should've gone to Specsavers :D

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-10-27 4:15 PM

pelmetman - 2013-10-27 4:12 PM

I think he mistook you for Frank

An easy mistake to make to be fair!!

Well you've known him longer than most (lol)

Had Enough - 2013-10-27 4:11 PM

Give the man a break, half of his roof has just crashed through the top of his motorhome so he's going to need all his survival gear after all.

Didn't think about that did they Richard?

Problem with ya roof Rich ? call 555666 and ask for Antony 1969

Archived