The Great Storm

antony1969

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure you have just yet John !!

"The southern half of the UK is preparing for one of the strongest storms of recent years to hit in the next few hours.

Winds of up to 80mph are expected to start battering the south west from about midnight."

That "strong wind" arrow above is pointing straight over Cornwall, Devon and Dorset and right at us. Strong gusts but nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Keep losing satellite TV signal - not a good sign based on previous experience.

Considering the time of year and all the shedding of leaves the storm is going to help big time blowing them hither and thither so I am wondering if the trains will all be cancelled tomorrow?  Unless it's the 'right sort of leaves' we could be in for a lot of cancellations..... :-)

CliveH - 2013-10-27 8:30 PM

Not sure you have just yet John !!

"The southern half of the UK is preparing for one of the strongest storms of recent years to hit in the next few hours.

Winds of up to 80mph are expected to start battering the south west from about midnight."

That "strong wind" arrow above is pointing straight over Cornwall, Devon and Dorset and right at us. Strong gusts but nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Keep losing satellite TV signal - not a good sign based on previous experience.

not here yet, lost 100sq ft of my roof in 87, a chimney in 91 there,s a downside for a seaview, never mind the reds good :D

malc d - 2013-10-28 11:35 AM

I see the BBC has sent up a helicopter to show us what stationary trains and fallen trees look like from the air.

Seems they stil have plenty of spare cash available.

;-)

Like all the reporters on railway stations, Plymouth Hoe, Dover seafront - all saying the same thing and achieving nothing.

Like the reporter in Romania chasing after this girl found in Greece's 'real' family - who gives a toss about sensationalising a story that has no connection with this country?

The sooner the BBC looses it's charter, and the license fee ticket to waste and lack of accountability and has to face up to the financial realities in the real world the better.

Tracker - 2013-10-28 11:45 AM

malc d - 2013-10-28 11:35 AM

I see the BBC has sent up a helicopter to show us what stationary trains and fallen trees look like from the air.

Seems they stil have plenty of spare cash available.

;-)

Like all the reporters on railway stations, Plymouth Hoe, Dover seafront - all saying the same thing and achieving nothing.

Like the reporter in Romania chasing after this girl found in Greece's 'real' family - who gives a toss about sensationalising a story that has no connection with this country?

The sooner the BBC looses it's charter, and the license fee ticket to waste and lack of accountability and has to face up to the financial realities in the real world the better.

Well said that man!

At last people are asking questions.

The BBC should go pay per view now

The Licence Fee is a tax we just do not need and for what we get in return - very poor value indeed.

The scandals of late have not helped either!!

Guest 1footinthegrave

We must be a bloody laughing stock in most of the world, if they tune in to our news, it was a bit windy, get over it, we don't live in tornado alley for Gods sake. ;-)

Still the bloody Christening has come and gone so they have run out of things to say. :-S until the first inch of Snow arrives and the country once again comes to a standstill ( except that is for the BBC outside broadcasting units )

Without wishing to show any disrespect to those who lost their lives or their homes today, amongst the other major tragedies, according to the quality reporting of the BBC, were the following -

A man in Wiltshire had his model railway layout derailed due to a fallen tree in his garden - it missed the house apparently but it was a most upsetting experience.

Power supplies will remain disrupted for the rest of today in isolated areas - live report from the wilds of Pangbourne in deepest Berkshire.

What a pathetic waste of license fee money - almost as pathetic as the ladies book club who, having become victims of power cuts said that 'it was jolly inconvenient!'

Tracker - 2013-10-27 12:42 PM

Portable gas heater, portable gas cooker, gas lamps, oil lamps, torches, candles, matches, batteries, battery chargers, spare gas, paraffin, gas mantles, jet pricker, chain saw, open fire - we have it all - except a generator and if it gets bad I'll get one of they too!

We used to live in Cornwall where storms were real storms at any time of the year and power outs were the norm not the unexpected and you learn to cope or be cold and hungry very quickly!

We have a generator and I've wired the house using isolating relays so that the lights switch over to the genny when the power goes off. Also,have a number of separate sockets that can be used for the telly, fridge, freezer, central heating and alarm system. Or generator does not have electric start so we still have to start it manually in the event of a power failure. It does not have enough power for cooking or the microwave etc so we use the gas facilities in the motorhome. I know it's a bit off but I can never help turning the porch light on just to wind my neighbours up. We do have an arrangement by which any of them who want to come round our house are welcome if accompanied with a bottle!

Archived