New member looking for advice

nickwwalker

I'm new to this game. I intend doing plenty of research and trying before I buy. However there are thousands of options, so in order to narrow the feild, as it were, I'd appreciate some pointers about what to look at first.

I'm looking for a 2 berth or maybe one that could occasionally take 2 grandchildren. So 4 belted seats, and 2 berth or maybe 2+2 berth. I'm thinking of < 6m long and capable of reasonable parking & occasional use as a second car. Need a shower / toilet / cooker and aircon ideally.

Buying new or secondhand, but 1-5 years old ideally and budget still to decide. But thinking £20k to £40k. So with that in mind please could someone who's done it already narrow my target vehicles with some advice on the following:

What's the best base vehicle for reliability and decent mpg as a motorhome?

My 2l HDi car does 55mpg but what should I expect to get from a 2 to 2.5 diesel van?

What PVC or coachbuilt vehicles might be best / suitable, that are made in the UK?

If I looked at a european vehicle, then what should I look at?

Lots of mention of RWD being better for a van, why when FWD is generally better on snow & ice?

If I wanted to take my 15' open canoe (26kg) on board (roofrack?) is that possible?

(I'd prefer not to get an inflatable but I know I may have to!)

Thinking about driving in towns & parking at supermarkets etc; what are the optimum turning circle, height and width considerations?

If using ferries (economically), are there optimum weights, lengths & heights to keep within?

Thanks, I realise that's a lot to ask here. But I know the knowledge is out there and I'm hoping someone with a bit of time to spare and might be kind enough to share their thoughts with me.

Many thanks

Nick

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to be cheeky but your best start will be to buy the magazine that supports this Forum. MMM and the sisiter mag Which Motorhome will give a lot of information and if any models appeal then they may have been tested in a back number.

To try and answer some of your queiries, rather briefly I am afraid.

If you wish to carry an item such as a canoe then possibly looking at a PVC type of van is best as frankly trying to heave something like canoe onto the roof of a coachbuilt will give you a hernia.

Reliability is an open ended question as all makes have lots of supporters and more than a few detracters. The main thing is to get one that you are comfortable with to drive. The transmision may also be a requirement for you as the majority are manual and if you wish an auto box then the choice is abit more limited. Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen are the main makers with Ford and Mercedes following behind. Renault are also in the market so plenty of choice.

Fuel consumption again varies on size and weight. A big coachbuilt will get in the low 20's while some PVC types can beat 30 mpg, however you are very unlikely to ever see 55 mpg unless you find something the rest of us do not know. I have excluded VW campers and similar as I suspect these are too small for you. Of course there are very tiny conversions which equal cars.

There are quite a few sub 6 meter PVC vans out there that have fixed bed and 4 belted seats which may be of interest. The Adria Twin spawned a whole range of competitive models. There are smaller outfits out there but you may be squeezed for space.

Very few UK models will have an air conditioner as the climate here does not really justify having new Similarly EU models, if sold here, maybe the same.In such a case you may have to buy new to specify having one included. However there is always the option of fitting one under a bed or locker and in this case look at the Truma website. EU models actuallymade in Europe are unlikely to have ovens and may be a bit more basic than UK models. That is based on the demands of the respective markets. If you are spending all your time in the UK then RHD is the way to go. Even a short break in Europe will make sense with a RHD. Only go for LHD if you plan to spend a large amount of time in Europe. However if the model of your dreams is LHD then it is not a big issue . Storing the motorhome is something to consider unless you have a large driveway. Some insurers are not so happy if it is parked at home as most thefts occur from driveways, so do check.

Driving in towns even with a pVC van will always require a little thought, but is do'able relatively easy. Coachbuilts are probably best suited to out of town activities. However even a 6 meter van will take up more than a car sized parking space so be careful as some wardens are very eager to attach penalty notices. As for height barriers there has been correspondence on the issue for years and some towns have removed them but others are still wary of the travelling community taking the place over.

It may also be a good idea to hire one or more types for a few days or a week just to get the feel of the various sizes. Splurging up to £40k and then not liking it will be an expensive mistake.

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome Nick! I wouldn't worry to much about the 4 berths, 4 belted seats certainly, but presuming you will only be taking the grandchildren away in school holidays, maybe a popup tent a better idea..they will value the fun and independence, and you the space!

Personally only interested in panel vans. easier to run and drive, more economical, more secure, no damp issues, excellent payloads (can be a real issue with CB), easier to repair, get parts etc..etc...list is endless.. provided you are content to live with the smaller living space and the type of use you envisage they are becoming very popular.....,We always follow the sun, and in no way keen on grim winter camping..so a van suits us down in spain at the moment :-D

lots of back reading using the forum "search" function

Thanks for starting the ball rolling Dave.

No offence taken! Yes magazine are a weakness of mine, excellent for research. So I have plenty and I've purchased some e-versions too. But I do find mpg and some of the issues I've mentioned are not always covered. Awnings is another topic barely covered, many vans seem to have them, but I've hardly seen a reference in the reviews to what works and what doesn't.

Re mpg, no I wasn't expecting 55mpg, unless running on gas maybe! But can anyone tell me if something sub 30mpg is the best I should expect, or are there vehicles with frugal engines out there capable of 30+ or more on a run? I'm hoping the Renault DHi in my estate can be found retuned in some panel vans, but would the extra weight still limit its capabilities?

I'll certainly have a look at the Adria Twin and thanks for your other help, much appreciated.

I did read about the poor person in this months mag that had a vehicle stolen despite huge investment in clamps, locks etc. So I will be bearing you comment about that in mind too.

Thanks again

Nick

Hi Nick,

I think that Dave224 had a good attempt at giving you some answers, but you really need to narrow things down yourself first. Your questions are really too wide ranging for specific model information / advice.

Huge difference between £20k and £40k and for 2-4 berth or 2-4 belted seats dramatically affect layout lounging and bed making options.

You really need to go to dealers and sit in different vans and decide what it is you want to use the van for and imagine how you will use it for that purpose and what your budget is.

Remember that nearly all parking spaces are based on cars - so the bigger the vehicle the more difficult it is to find a parking space - then again at quieter times of year and mid-week when children are at school and parents at work, there is usually plenty of room. This of course may be insignificant if you just travel and park up on site and in that case a bigger vehicle will generally offer you more convenience.

I tried to cover all the options when I bought my little Hymer Exsis - and it still works for me, but in reality

I can count on two hands the number of times that I have needed the extra belted seats or extra double bed. My 2.3 JTD does at average 31-33mpg and even more in France.

Fred

Welcome Nick

You mention Air Con. We have this fitted to our CB van. To be honest, we seldom use it, even in Spain. It costs a lot of money, and not sure the outlay is worth the use it gets.ours is roof fitted, maybe cab air con is more suitable Eddie mentioned tent for gran kids. It would depend on the ages of them I would not want to have young kids sleeping out side, teen -agers a different matter! (but then they would most likely not want to go on holiday with the OLDIES) Parking at supermarkets abroad, we always park , where we can get two spaces, as length can be a problem

Good luck in your search, and take your time, you are planning to spend a LOT of money. As a first timer I would buy secondhand, and use for a year or two, to get the feel of motorhoming.

PJay

Many questions and many corresponding answers.....there is no right answer to the perfect van and therefore this means compromise. Compromising in what areas, tho.....only you can answer that.

I'll have a stab at the possible non compromise areas and then move on from there.

I guess, as you'll have to transport the little darlings (irrespective of where they sleep) that 4 belts is a non negotiable.

This immediately rules out all the 'British' type twin sofa designs which are great for sprawling on as you will need one of those horrible upright half dinette seats......shame, we were doing well, lol!

Next most important issue.....as Eddie knows, SLEEP!

Do you need a fixed bed van......I'm thinking yes as you definitely don't want to be sleeping on a bed made up from that dinette, they're bad enough to sit in but to sleep on, no way.

So fixed bed for you two (its your backs at risk here) and the little ones might think the dinette is ok.

Other bed options are for an over cab, ok for grand kids and extra internal storage, but worse on fuel and more height for tolls etc.

A fixed bed, probably transverse in a smallish van, will give you good storage underneath and a seperate place to relax, read etc away from the front of the van.

You might like lounging in a rear lounge van.......but little under seat storage and washroom and kitchen at front compromise the potential to incorporate the cab swivel seats into the whole.

A yes, A Classes. These have a pull down bed to compliment the fixed bed and there are a few available to fit all parts of your list except one.....price!

Some coachbuilts have drop down beds over the lounge, not quite as salubrious as the A Class beds but are big solid and comfy.

I could think of a list of vans that could go onto the shortish list but I reckon that smallish, drivable as a 2nd vehicle and 4 belts leads me towards a PVC with a transverse fixed bed.

This then leads towards UK or EU origin. Most of the UK stuff have a rear lounge that pulls across into the rear bed whereas the Continental vans tend to have the same space permanently fixed as a bed. As I said, this bed can still be used to lounge on, may or may not be as comfy as a lounge but will be infinitely more comfy as a bed. If it were me I'd go with a fixed bed unit at 6m on a Fiat 130.

Only issue, can you live onside a small tin box for many weeks away. We like the concept of PVCs but have yet to make the jump from a 7m coachbuilt as we like the better internal living space.....but never say never.

Go to a show or a dealer and try something like an Adria Twinn to see if you can hack it, park it etc.

Good luck.

Nick,

First above all else.

Why do you suddenly feel the need to live in a field. Is it a whim that will fade in the new year. Do you consider the grandchildren need excercising in this way? Ask yourself many questions, where would you go and most importantly WHY?, if the cost is uppermost then don't buy one, it can be daunting and expensive.

You question RHD v LHD and Ferries, suddenly taking a large vehicle to France may be questionable and you've not driven anywhere yet. Have you been before if not then hire one, that way you will solve a multitude of snags in one go and still keep your pocket money intact.

This is not a game of "Oh I like that one, lets all go to France" Remember well, five minutes down the road is just as good as 500 miles to small children.

What outside interests do you have, if few then the M/H will be sat on your drive for 90% of the time depreciating further. If you can answer honestly and positively to these queries then by all means do it. BUT only then ... start looking for a vehicle.

Come back again when you've chosen a van and you will soon be told the benefits or differing news on what you have selected.

nickwwalker - 2013-10-31 4:53 PM

Re mpg, no I wasn't expecting 55mpg, unless running on gas maybe! But can anyone tell me if something sub 30mpg is the best I should expect, or are there vehicles with frugal engines out there capable of 30+ or more on a run? I'm hoping the Renault DHi in my estate can be found retuned in some panel vans, but would the extra weight still limit its capabilities?

If we assume that an Adria Twin van is about the size you need, then you are talking of around 30mpg at best on average. You can get more if you drive it slowly, we get over 30mpg when trundling around the highlands, but once you start keeping up with everyday traffic esp. at max motorway speeds then high 20s will be best you might get. A van that size will not only be 3+ tons, but also have at least 3 times the frontal area of a car and far from ideal aerodynamics.

My Cavarno would tick most of your boxes, but is only available on pre-owned chassis at present as Ford aren't making a full-size van. Take a look:

http://www.vectramotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome_range_cavarno2.html

It's under FIVE metres (just), really well -built, has 4 belted seats even though it's only a 2-berth, with oven, shower etc, and has cab aircon (is that what you meant? Some of the others have assumed you wanted an aircon unit in the back, which is very rare in a small MH).

Used ones occasionally come on the market, but not often as people tend to be happy with them!

Remember that nearly all parking spaces are based on cars - so the bigger the vehicle the more difficult it is to find a parking space - then again at quieter times of year and mid-week when children are at school and parents at work, there is usually plenty of room. This of course may be insignificant if you just travel and park up on site and in that case a bigger vehicle will generally offer you more convenience.

I tried to cover all the options when I bought my little Hymer Exsis - and it still works for me, but in reality

I can count on two hands the number of times that I have needed the extra belted seats or extra double bed. My 2.3 JTD does at average 31-33mpg and even more in France.

Fred

Thanks Fred some good points there and I'll have a look at the Hymer, just found an old review so have saved that. Sounds like low 30s mpg is about the best I'll get, so I'm forewarned. I do appreciate your help. Many thanks. Nick

Fred

Thanks Fred some good points there and I'll have a look at the Hymer, just found an old review so have saved that. Sounds like low 30s mpg is about the best I'll get, so I'm forewarned. I do appreciate your help. Many thanks. Nick

Hi PJ

Interesting about A/con. We were driving in France for two weeks this summer and did find it was far more tolerable with A/c on. But we were in gites at night and with some breeze it wasn't so bad. So maybe I just need some for the cab as you say, but not the living area. I guess one can open doors / roof vents to get a reasonable climate for living.

RE the kids, they live in Cumbria us in Bucks, so thinking was not long tours on holiday but us taking them for days out in the Lakes (and canoeing) or maybe overnight, if we had the space. So just one of those things we'll consider when coming to a decision.

Yes I've seen RVs and Canada and the US parked across two spaces, but in the Parks there they've got space. I was thinking that the Chelsea tractors and contractors panel vans around here fit into one space in the local car parks. So with a van like the IH Tio R or the new IH 600 RL, maybe I could use it for the odd shopping trip. My father had a VW Autosleeper which I think was a similar size and that worked for him. But the van was tight inside, so I was looking for some modern designs that make better use of the space or maybe the argument to get something a bit bigger. I can see it need to try it out but no dealer is likely to let me take out a whole range, so trying to narrow it down. They I'll hire the best choice for a few days before I buy.

Thanks for you help. Nick

Based on your stated requirements

"I'm looking for a 2 berth or maybe one that could occasionally take 2 grandchildren. So 4 belted seats, and 2 berth or maybe 2+2 berth. I'm thinking of < 6m long and capable of reasonable parking & occasional use as a second car. Need a shower / toilet / cooker and aircon ideally."

I suggest you limit your research to panel-van conversions (PVCs).

Things like base-vehicle manufacturer, RWD or FWD, mpg, air-con, turning-circle, ferry-crossing optima, etc. are largely academic at this point in the selection stage and, if you choose to buy secondhand, it's going to be the condition of the vehicle itself that will be most important.

Previous postings have suggested an Adria PVC. These are available right across your £20k-£40k budget-range (example here)

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/details.aspx?id=652554&page=1

The Adria Twin is a generic PVC design with all the basic features most people would want. If you inspect a Twin carefully and find there's something lacking, at least you'll then know what to look for in alternative motorhomes.

Guest JudgeMental

we find the 4 belted seats invaluable, Our 20 & 22 year old have flown over to Italy and Croatia and joined us touring....as kids they slept in awning or tents no problems.....

One thing I forgot..have you the time/holidays to justify spending 40k on a camper. I'm selling my Adria on return from Spain as upgrading. it is a very nicely spec'd example. you are welcome to have a look even if not interested...if you are you can sleep in it to see what you think, ill even throw in some London theatre tickets! :D

Hi , I am not going to attempt to comment on all your queries, but restrict my reply to reference the grandchildren. You dont say how old they are?

We assumed that we might take them with us and changed from a Starfire 2 berth to Autosleepers Inca with overcab bunks. Whenthe kids were just school age.

As they live in Taunton and we at Ringwood, we dont get to see them very often now they are aroundGCSE exam age.

When we first bought the Inca, we had one afternoon out with them into the New Forest and took a picnic with us. They enjoyed it, but for a variety of reasons, that was the one and only time they came in the van.As they have grown older, their interests and school activities have always taken priority, and as a result, it was a waste of effort changing the van.

We were able to spend our holidays abroad out of school holiday time, and we decided that the 4 seat option was really unnecessary for 95 percent of the time.

Our choice of van has reverted back ultimately via caravan/car combination, Stargazer, and now back to the small Starfire.

As the children have got older, their interests and preferences , and those of their parents, have gone away from Camping to more exotic adventures.

Are you really sure it is essential to cater for grandchildren, who all too quickly grow up and develop their own interests. Buy the motorhome to suit yourselves, and any spare could possibly be put to better use , eg University fees for example.

Tony

Guest JudgeMental

seem to have a bit of a thing about fuel consumption? from home in London to Benidorm is approx 1200 miles taking westerly route through France...fuel was on average 1.36€ a litre,and I spent £200 getting here on fuel only. avoiding expensive tolls in France, but paying them in a more reasonable Spain. Feel free to do the math! :D

Incidentaly, I left Calais lunchtime on a Monday and arrived here Wednesday lunchtime and was swimming in the pool.....

Will85 - 2013-10-31 7:00 PM

Why do you suddenly feel the need to live in a field? Is it a whim that will fade in the new year. Do you consider the grandchildren need excercising in this way? Ask yourself many questions, where would you go and most importantly WHY?, if the cost is uppermost then don't buy one, it can be daunting and expensive.

NWW - Why not, life it too short, and why should you have all the fun! If I research it and want to do it then It be fine. I have extensive driving experience in europe, the US and Canada so it's not an issue. Cost is of course a major factor but if through careful planning I can arrive at list of preferred vehicles then I can decide that I can afford. Daunting yes, expensive probably, worth while, you tell me, but I'd say very probably if I'm sure we'll get good value out of it.

You question RHD v LHD and Ferries, suddenly taking a large vehicle to France may be questionable and you've not driven anywhere yet. Have you been before if not then hire one, that way you will solve a multitude of snags in one go and still keep your pocket money intact.

NWW - My question was actually about the considerations of front wheel vs rear wheel drive. Many forum posts seem to prefer rear wheel drive (and trash the Fiat front wheel drive on sloping grass) - but don't say why its particularly beneficial on a motorhome. But as you mention size, my interest is focusing rather more at the PVC market rather than a huge vehicle. Hiring is an option too that has many attractions, but I'll still need to understand what vehicles would be suitable.

This is not a game of "Oh I like that one, lets all go to France" Remember well, five minutes down the road is just as good as 500 miles to small children.

NWW - A game, no I'm seriously looking at a different and more relaxing way to travel more extensively in the UK and maybe europe as we get more time on our hands.

What outside interests do you have, if few then the M/H will be sat on your drive for 90% of the time depreciating further. If you can answer honestly and positively to these queries then by all means do it. BUT only then ... start looking for a vehicle.

NWW- Interests, plenty enough thanks and a motorhome just might be the way to combine them and get more out of life instead of using hotels and give us the opportunity to have a.

Come back again when you've chosen a van and you will soon be told the benefits or differing news on what you have selected.

Thanks Will for the challenging points you raise, I've added some specific clarification & responses in the quotes above. I'm not intending to walk blindly into this, that's why I'm corresponding with people that have differing views on what's good and what isn't before I decide the next steps.

Thanks to everyone else so far that has contributed with helpful and interesting ideas so far. I do appreciate it.

Nick

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-01 8:47 AM

"I'm looking for a 2 berth or maybe one that could occasionally take 2 grandchildren. So 4 belted seats, and 2 berth or maybe 2+2 berth. I'm thinking of < 6m long and capable of reasonable parking & occasional use as a second car. Need a shower / toilet / cooker and aircon ideally."

Things like base-vehicle manufacturer, RWD or FWD, mpg, air-con, turning-circle, ferry-crossing optima, etc. are largely academic at this point in the selection stage and, if you choose to buy secondhand, it's going to be the condition of the vehicle itself that will be most important.

Previous postings have suggested an Adria PVC. These are available right across your £20k-£40k budget-range (example here)

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/details.aspx?id=652554&page=1

The Adria Twin is a generic PVC design with all the basic features most people would want. If you inspect a Twin carefully and find there's something lacking, at least you'll then know what to look for in alternative motorhomes.

Hi Derek

You've helped enormously, I agree with much that you'd said. I had seen the Adria as Norm suggested it. As you say it is not a bad vehicle to use as a yardstick. I think front /rear wheel drive is something I'd like to be clearer on though. A lot of vans use the same Fiat FWD van and I don't know if it's just that one that vehicle that has problems, or if RWD is a generally a better option. I like the look of the new Adria 500 and 600 range, but that would be a year to two down the line, as I wouldn't want to get a new one for the reasons many folk have given.

Many thanks

Nick

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-01 8:47 AM

Hi Derek

You've helped enormously, I agree with much that you'd said. I had seen the Adria as Norm suggested it. As you say it is not a bad vehicle to use as a yardstick. I think front /rear wheel drive is something I'd like to be clearer on though. A lot of vans use the same Fiat FWD van and I don't know if it's just that one that vehicle that has problems, or if RWD is a generally a better option. I like the look of the new Adria 500 and 600 range, but that would be a year to two down the line, as I wouldn't want to get a new one for the reasons many folk have given.

Many thanks

Nick

nickwwalker - 2013-10-31 4:53 PM

Thanks for starting the ball rolling Dave.

No offence taken! Yes magazine are a weakness of mine, excellent for research. So I have plenty and I've purchased some e-versions too. But I do find mpg and some of the issues I've mentioned are not always covered. Awnings is another topic barely covered, many vans seem to have them, but I've hardly seen a reference in the reviews to what works and what doesn't.

I'll certainly have a look at the Adria Twin and thanks for your other help, much appreciated.

I did read about the poor person in this months mag that had a vehicle stolen despite huge investment in clamps, locks etc. So I will be bearing you comment about that in mind too.

Thanks again

Nick

We have an 2004 Autotrail Tracker on a Fiat Ducato 2.0 ltr Engine, we have never got less than 30 mpg touring Europe we regularly get 33 mpg and we are normally up to our maximum weight..

My advice on buying your first motorhome is buy a used model from a more upmarket manufacturer rather than a new cheap one.

The one thing I would be very careful about is the payload available. If you want to carry 4 people and all the possessions that come with them, in a sub 6 metre MH, you will need an available payload that will allow you to stay legal. We struggle to stay legal and there is only two of us.

Do not take a dealers word for the payload available, get them to prove it by getting a weighbridge ticket. and check the axle weights on the vehicle plate to see what you have left to play with.

Then add on the weight of all the things you want to take with you, bodies, water, fuel, food, clothes, TV, and toys (adults and children's) .

Apparently PVCs do not have this problem, presumably because they do not have all the home comforts and add-ons that a Motorhomes have. I am not able to comment on this as I have never had a panel van.

Cliff

Cliffy - 2013-11-01 4:29 PM.........................We have an 2004 Autotrail Tracker on a Fiat Ducato 2.0 ltr Engine, we have never got less than 30 mpg touring Europe we regularly get 33 mpg and we are normally up to our maximum weight.............Cliff

Not questioning what you say, Cliff, but those are very good figures. How do you measure consumption, and what is your normal cruising speed?

Motorhomes have the aerodynamics of a barn door, and that 2.0 litre engine of "your" generation was not the most economical lump ever made. Just getting 30MPG overall would be considered pretty good, over 30 is excellent. You're not relying on that smooth talking on-board computer are you, by any chance? :-)

Brian Kirby - 2013-11-01 7:26 PM

Cliffy - 2013-11-01 4:29 PM.........................We have an 2004 Autotrail Tracker on a Fiat Ducato 2.0 ltr Engine, we have never got less than 30 mpg touring Europe we regularly get 33 mpg and we are normally up to our maximum weight.............Cliff

Not questioning what you say, Cliff, but those are very good figures. How do you measure consumption, and what is your normal cruising speed?

Motorhomes have the aerodynamics of a barn door, and that 2.0 litre engine of "your" generation was not the most economical lump ever made. Just getting 30MPG overall would be considered pretty good, over 30 is excellent. You're not relying on that smooth talking on-board computer are you, by any chance? :-)

Hi Brian

I check mpg between each full tank which is usually every time I go to a filling station. then I check the overall at the end of a European trip usually around 1500 - 2000 miles. The worst the overall has been is 31.5 mpg and the best 34 mpg.

We don't use toll roads and normally drive at 55 to 60 mph on main roads. I never go over 70 mph except maybe briefly after I have pulled out to let someone in from a slip road and need to get back in the inside lane.

We live 303 miles from the channel and all being well I could just get to Luxembourg on a full tank from home. I have never actually done it as I don't like driving with the low fuel light on. I usually put 20 litres in somewhere in Belgium to get me safely Le Accueil Campsite Hesperenge camp site in Luxembourg City..

When I first got the van 4 years ago I was only getting 30mpg but after I had a cam belt change it went up to more like 33mpg. I don't get as good results when in the UK, I think I maybe drive more aggressively in UK traffic. The van is 9 years old and has 49000 miles on the clock.

As for Aerodynamics I think Autotrails are as brick like some other MHs of the era.

Archived