New member looking for advice

nickwwalker

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-06 10:04 AM

Nick

a) I believe you'll have to abandon your original rigid-canoe-carrying ambition, whatever you buy.

I wonder if something along these lines would be worth looking into?..even if it needed to be adapted "one off"..

http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=163

Or even one of the rear loading,ladder systems?...

http://www.vansupplies.com/products/el1_single_easi-load.php

Both approaches will of cause interfere with the skylights/roof furniture to some degree or other...and both are probably quite heavy as well...

I've seen folk carrying the short, stumpy kayaks, strapped vertically on the rear of their vans(..located in towbar mounted "sockets")..although I don't think the OP would want to be doing that with a 15 footer! (lol)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-06 10:04 AM

A short A-class design would be another option if your budget would allow it.

I mentioned these earlier in the thread with the rider that the only likely reason for not being a perfect fit was price.

We looked very closely at the Pilote A600LA which has a large lounge, british type kitchen with full cooker etc, large bathroom with separate walk-in shower and reasonable internal storage. Has a large drop down comfy looking bed all in 6m. A truly tardis like van for two people, its even possible to make a small bed for two children from the lounge sofas. Also great insulation with a technical double floor for water tanks, pipes etc.

For us, the one big drawback is the dearth of external locker space for outside kit. The Pilote rep at the NEC said they are making the rear locker larger due to customer reaction at the show, we will see.

Price, just over £50k as only available new.

http://mobi.pilote.fr/en/modele/140/g600la

I wonder if something along these lines would be worth looking into?..even if it needed to be adapted "one off"..

http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=163

Or even one of the rear loading,ladder systems?...

http://www.vansupplies.com/products/el1_single_easi-load.php

Both approaches will of cause interfere with the skylights/roof furniture to some degree or other...and both are probably quite heavy as well...

I've seen folk carrying the short, stumpy kayaks, strapped vertically on the rear of their vans(..located in towbar mounted "sockets")..although I don't think the OP would want to be doing that with a 15 footer! (lol)

Hi Derek

Yes that's great, thanks for that, it maybe the solution. I have seen that some Autocruise and Adria PVCs have roof bars and some even rear ladders. My canoe, despite being 15' is made of a very light material called Royalex as weighs only 26kg. So it is easily loaded on a car & carried by one person. Admittedly the roof height on a van would be the issue when getting it up on a roof and securing it and make it risky or even impossible. In which case I might have to look at an inflatable or a smaller Sit on Top canoe. But the engineer in me loves a challenge and I know there are some components that go with my Thule canoe carrier that might make it possible to roll it on and off the rear, by pulling up with a rope. A long shot, but it might work. I wouldn't want to be doing it several time a day! But it might be worth the effort to get to a place where I'd use it for a few days, such as Coniston Water, a favourite of mine.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/water-sports-carrier-accessories/thule-roller-815-_-815000

I guess the overall height it has to be an issue but it would only add 12" above the rack.

Food for thought and more research, but ultimately juts nice to have and definitely not a show stopper.

Cheers

Nick

bolero boy - 2013-11-06 11:16 AM

We looked very closely at the Pilote A600LA which has a large lounge, british type kitchen with full cooker etc, large bathroom with separate walk-in shower and reasonable internal storage. Has a large drop down comfy looking bed all in 6m. A truly tardis like van for two people, its even possible to make a small bed for two children from the lounge sofas. Also great insulation with a technical double floor for water tanks, pipes etc.

For us, the one big drawback is the dearth of external locker space for outside kit. The Pilote rep at the NEC said they are making the rear locker larger due to customer reaction at the show, we will see.

Price, just over £50k as only available new.

http://mobi.pilote.fr/en/modele/140/g600la

Hi Chris

Wow that almost is a tardis. Not sure about the drop down bed as we like reading and having a cuppa in bed so headroom might rule it out. But I will be looking closer at the spec at the weekend. Thanks very much for pointing that out. Price wise it's too expensive but always worth having on the list for comparison or even purchase second hand down the line.

Cheers

Nick

Nick, this type of layout is also available much more cheaply in a coachbuilt style with Burstner IT Time 585 and 590 to the fore. There are similar models available used from Chausson and Adria.

These of course will have the drop down bed a little further to the rear (over the lounge more than the cab of the A class design) but can still support a bed underneath and also manage sufficient headroom for a morning cuppa. We could not do without that either so we tried the Pilote bed and it was fine for height but you have to realise that they are supported by a metal scissor action which is not that comfortable to lean against without good pillows. Do the Germans and French drink tea?...lol

pepe63 - 2013-11-07 3:48 PM

Nick..

Just a quickie...it wasn't Derek who put up those links to roof rack systems, it was me.. ;-)

(...my finders' fee invoice, will be in the post ;-) )

Oh!..and check out that youtube link to the "Which" test...

Apologies Pepe for not crediting the right person ..... damn those nested quotes......

Thanks to you too, Nick

Guest JudgeMental

The only van that works with a French bed IMO is the Possl/globecar 636 FR as french beds hardly work in a CB with a bathroom jammed in next to it! let alone in a panel van. But Possl with their centre expanding bathroom, allows for a king size (1500 wide) french bed. It is a van I have coveted since it came out, as it has a very open aspect and decent rear lounging/kitchen space as well..plus a mass of storage. The only reason I did not go for it, is its not that practical at carrying bikes whereas other campers are....

pics: http://tinyurl.com/nmnlp8a

Just had long drive back from Spain and cream crackered! :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-11-07 6:41 PM

The only van that works with a French bed IMO is the Possl/globecar 636 FR as french beds hardly work in a CB with a bathroom jammed in next to it! let alone in a panel van. But Possl with their centre expanding bathroom, allows for a king size (1500 wide) french bed. It is a van I have coveted since it came out, as it has a very open aspect and decent rear lounging/kitchen space as well..plus a mass of storage. The only reason I did not go for it, is its not that practical at carrying bikes whereas other campers are....

pics: http://tinyurl.com/nmnlp8a

Just had long drive back from Spain and cream crackered! :-D

Wow, thanks for that advice, what a stunning conversion. That German engineering has to be admired, they certainly have packed a lot in. I particularly like the interesting (and possibly unique?) feature of the shower base across the walkway. Looks like it gives a feeling of space when open but a generous washroom when closed. It looks like it also would provide you with the ability to isolate off the bedroom from the seating. I like it very much, though probably in the shorter version the Globescout, with the transverse bed. This version too would give space for carrying bikes too, this video shows off the features.

http://www.globecar.de/download/kunde/2013/folder/Katalog_Globecar_engl_Internet.pdf

I've added that to my must see list! But I'll check out the pricelist first before I get too sold on the idea! It looks like a new design so it'll be a few years before and pre-owned versions appear.

A brilliant thread this, so much useful information for someone starting out. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Nick

Guest JudgeMental

"and pack the bed all away for load carrying"

see...this is what I mean about practicality's..adria much better in this regard as bed tilts up fully made up! others have the bathroom in the middle now as thy have copied Possl...still find the very germanic stying a bit irksome

JudgeMental - 2013-11-08 10:43 AM

see...this is what I mean about practicality's..adria much better in this regard as bed tilts up fully made up! others have the bathroom in the middle now as thy have copied Possl...still find the very germanic stying a bit irksome

Yes I'm sure you are right, looking at this on paper so often only tells half the story. There's no substitute for looking at the real thing or talking to someone that has personal experience. The Adria is still my benchmark, one to beat from what I've found so far. It is so interesting that when you first look at a van you might think that look's prefect. But then on closer inspection of the details you notice negative points that make it less of a good choice.

That fact that you've done such a long trip in your van and still rate it highly is proof its got a lot to commend it.

Cheers

Nick

Guest JudgeMental
nickwwalker - 2013-11-08 11:31 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-11-08 10:43 AM

Yes I'm sure you are right, looking at this on paper so often only tells half the story. There's no substitute for looking at the real thing or talking to someone that has personal experience. The Adria is still my benchmark, one to beat from what I've found so far. It is so interesting that when you first look at a van you might think that look's prefect. But then on closer inspection of the details you notice negative points that make it less of a good choice.

That fact that you've done such a long trip in your van and still rate it highly is proof its got a lot to commend it.

Cheers

Nick

16,000 miles on 4 long trips..2 to spain and 2 to italy/Croatia. having pictures done next week as putting it up for sale....has all the security and extras for touring.... :-D

nickwwalker - 2013-11-08 10:14 AM..............................http://www.globecar.de/download/kunde/2013/folder/Katalog_Globecar_engl_Internet.pdf

I've added that to my must see list! But I'll check out the pricelist first before I get too sold on the idea! It looks like a new design so it'll be a few years before and pre-owned versions appear.

A brilliant thread this, so much useful information for someone starting out. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Nick

But.................try brfore you buy! You have commented that you are 6' 0" tall and your wife 5' 10". I have my doubts that you will find a transverse bed in a PVC acceptable. I would guess that you need a full 2.0M long bed, bearing in mind transverse beds are between walls at head and foot.

There are now a few layouts on the 6.36 long Ducato that offer longitudinal singles, some of which would make a king size double. More like the Campscout, though still effectively between walls.

That consideration may push you back toward the smaller "Van" type vans from Hobby (Van), Hymer (Van), Dethleffs (Globecar), Burstner (Travel Van), which are a (varying) bit wider, or even - though I think it a solution to a non-existant problem - the newer Brevio.

My guess, however, is that you will need 2.3M external width to get real comfort from a transverse bed. As I said above, try first!

Guest JudgeMental

Dearest Kirbys....moi's adria bed is 78 inches or 198 cm so 6.6 long *-)

Its like you and payloads... most of us manage fine with 500kg and you think this inadequate...so a 6 foot man need an extra foot of space....you are so funny sometimes :-D

Indeed, but you are not 6' 0" tall, I think? Try lying on your stomach at full stretch, and measure from the top of your head to the tips of your toes. Then apply the difference to someone 6' 0" tall, who will probbaly have larger feet than you (apologies for this unwarranted digression into the intensely personal :-)). If you wish to sleep in peace you will not wish to keep nudging the wall with your head, nor poking it with your feet. So, I merely suggest that a tallish person tries such beds for length, in case he finds them too short.

Payload was the other string. You're still vanlagged! :-) But I suggested 500kg was a workable allocation, not too little, for folk intending to "full time" in a van. Your trips are relatively short, and mainly to warm places in warm weather. Someone living in a van for a year is liable to need more gear that you or I carry, so is liable to need more payload than you or I need. Seems simple enough to me! After all, you did comment adversely on a 300kg payload allocation elsewhere. 500 is more than 300, so what's wrong? :-)

Guest JudgeMental

I'm 5.10 so not far from OP.....jeez who sleeps like that! at full stretch!lol

heavens its a king size 1500 wide bed with great head room, cant touch ceiling when lying down....unlike many CB! One of the reasons we picked the adria was because of the excellent bed, chosen over many other vans :-S

• 1 month later...

Happy Christmas to everyone that contributed to this thread so far.

Just a brief update on when we are up to.

The search goes on so in addition to trailing around the local showrooms we will be going to the show at the NEC in Feb to look at the latest offerings. The Adria is still on the list, but we'll also be looking at the Tribute 700 and Autotrail Accent. This is mainly because we're interested in comparing a fixed bed van with one of the same size & similar spec - but with the second lounge / bed option that the latter offer.

We know this will mean either having to make the bed each day, or leaving it in position. Several of the correspondents to this thread thought that making the bed up each day was a chore, so we'll bear that in mind. But we do like the concept of having another space to stretch out in on wet days after long walks, even if this means not having a fixed bed. It just seems like better use of space in some ways. But I know, as always, there will be other factors to consider, such as the loss of some under-bed storage. So when we've seen them all close up we'll hire the preferred option or options, if we can't decide.

I know we've still go some thinking and budgetary factors to consider, not least because there is probably £5 -10k (new) between the vans I've mentioned. But we might as well find out what suits us best to save making an expensive mistake, even if we have buy a slightly older van to meet the budget.

We're interested in quality and reliability issues too. The Adria seems to be very highly thought of, the Accept too seems to pick up many accolades. But I'm less sure about the Tribute, as it's price might indicate poorer build quality and attention to detail. I've looked at one and it looks great, but living with it can reveal the shortcomings. So I'm keeping an eye on the Tribby site and most people there seem satisfied, but not all. So I need to find some unbiased reviews I guess.

Happy New Year and happy motor homing in 2014

Nick

Archived