You what ! .....290 pounds

trickydicky

I can assure you they're not worth that sort of money. You can buy that material and get someone to make them for you. Taylormade will sell you the material.

Guest pelmetman

Considering they're probably made to order ;-)..........and knowing how useful they are.............and that your'e a Hymer owner................I'm surprised they're so cheap :D........

Was this for internal or external?

Our van is a Vivaro/Trafic high top, there is nothing on the market.

My external silver screens are therefore homemade. I bought some rip stock material from ebay,, silver on one side, black on the other, and honeycomb reinforced with embedded cross stranding. This makes it very light and strong.

I made a template from brown wrapping paper, simply placing it over the front and side windows and cutting it to shape. A sewing machinist friend cut and stitched the silver material, and edged it with a black edging material, sourced locally.

We have been using this for 2 years so far, it looks really professional and has worked extremely well. No one suspects that it is homemade, and it cost in total about £50, including the £30 sweetener to the machinist. Very, very pleased.

It's not home made, as you had it sown by a proficient machinist. I bet silver screens is only a small mickey mouse business. Nothing wrong with that, as it's a niche market.

peter - 2013-11-14 9:42 PM

It's not home made, as you had it sown by a proficient machinist. I bet silver screens is only a small mickey mouse business. Nothing wrong with that, as it's a niche market.

Their name is:

Silver Screens.

As are:

Hoover

Google

Sellotape

Thermos.

gocro - 2013-11-15 9:37 AM

peter - 2013-11-14 9:42 PM

Their name is:

Silver Screens.

As are:

Hoover

Google

Sellotape

Thermos.

And your point is?. *-)

peter - 2013-11-14 9:42 PMf

It took the machinist 6 or 8 hours to do, admittedly as a one off, not production line mass production, but it does indicate how that sort of pricing happens. Say 8hrs at perhaps £25 per hour factory pricing, plus materials, profit margin and packing. All figures picked out of the air, but there has to be a profit in it.

I did jokingly talk with the friend, who at that time was between jobs, about doing a bespoke service for the vans that are not covered (literally) because they are not mainstream X250s etc. There is obviously a demand, as I found. There must be others doing something like that.

Archived