Autocruise Startrail

Gram

Technical details for a Startrail can be found here http://tinyurl.com/pyq64v7

(The specification relates to 2008 models, but tallies with the 2011 details here http://tinyurl.com/qzb7222)

The Startrail was a relatively long vehicle (7.04 metres), built on a long-wheelbase (4.04m) 3500kg chassis. Although no maximum axle-weights are provided in the 2008 Swift document, they will almost certainly be the 1850kg (front axle) and 2000kg (rear axle) weights Chris suggested earlier.

As your Symbol is so much shorter than a Startrail and built on a lighter (3300kg) chassis with a significantly shorter wheelbase (3.45m), it's a fair bet that its maximum axle-loadings will differ from a Startrail's.

Thanks Derek, i was (rather clumsily) trying to say that the Startrail was built on the same chassis as ours (although on the slightly longer wheelbase) and that axle weights would be the same, according to the Fiat website.

I should have suggested that Gram look at 'the' vehicle plate (if possible) rather than look at 'your' vehicle plate, although i did notice he had a Symbol according tomthe avatar, which may not be correct ;-)

Note to self...In future, must do better when offering advice :-o

Thank you all for your input.

The technical documentation pointed at by Derek certainly appears to support Chris's assertion that the 2011/12 Startrail front axle limit is 1850kg.

I believe the front suspension springs and shock absorbers on my Symbol are identical to those on this Startrail. However, my front axle is rated at only 1750kg.

G

The axle limits for the 3300kg MLWB chassis are 1750 front and 1900 rear i.e. 100 less at each end than those of the 3500kg chassis.

You may well be correct about the components at the front end being identical but I believe that at the rear the 3300 chassis has single leaf springs while the 3500 has double leaf springs. I'm pretty sure that this is correct after grovelling under a few vans at the local dealers..

This link http://tinyurl.com/nutgurp relates to a 2013 Swift handbook for their panel-van coversions.

The models comprise those built on a 3500kg chassis with 4.04m wheelbase (like the Startrail) and those built on a 3300kg chassis with 3.45m wheelbase (like an X/250 Symbol)..

It's apparent from the "Towing Capabilities" section that (except for a "Forte" model built on a 'heavy' chassis) the former vehicles have 1850kg(F) and 2000kg® axle weight limits, while the latter have (as Steve says) 1750kg(F) and 1900kg® limits.

In a 2010 forum posting, Nick Fisher (euroserv) advised that twin rear leaf-springs were a factory option for any specification Ducato (so, presumably, for Boxers too) and I know that some X/250 motorhomes on 3500kg chassis are built as standard with single-leaf rear springs as twin springs are a 'pay more' option in their brochures. However, a Startrail had an Al-Ko chassis with torsion-bar rear springs.

Checking Peugeot part numbers might confirm whether the front struts/springs of a 3300kg-chassis Symbol are identical to those of a 3500kg-chassis Startrail, if one could find a Peugeot agent prepared to make the effort.

I'm not really sure. though, why it's important for Gram to know this. A Startrail is a significantly different vehicle to a Symbol and, even if both had the same front struts/springs, it's evident that their front-axle weight limits differ. Knowing whether or not they share front suspension components won't alter those facts.

Archived