Valencia

crbtaylor

Currently on our way south through a very wet France abd Spain. At the moment we are staying at Eden, Pensicola. Looking at moving onto Valencia in search of the elusive sun. Has anyone stayed at the Aire in Valencia? Thought or recomendations for alternaives would be appreciated.

I have stayed at Camping Coll Vert which is just south of Valencia. The site is a bit tired and suffers from road noise, however there is a bus stop at the gate and it is a 15 minute ride into Valencia which is well worth visiting. Hope you have an ACSI card as it is €16 a night and if not it is €24? which I would not have paid.

Sorry I cannot help with Aires. Weather has been excellent for weeks now here in Benidorm, so long may it continue and enjoy.

Also Coll Vert, very handy for bus,the site and immediate area is quiet one or two bar restaurants open sporadically in the near bye. village nice walk along the seaside.Best to take own entertainment.

The weather was lovely last January,

Guest JudgeMental
Valencia a very impressive city.....Benidorm approx an hour south with a wonderful microclimate. When heading there in early October, Valencia was covered in cloud and a bit grim, and I thought Oh dear! An hour later I was bathed in near 30's temps which lasted the whole month I was there...

The aire in the city looks very close to the road so would imagine its a bit noisey but very handy for the centre. There is another Aire just south of the city and camping Coll Vert at

39.386724° -0.332111°

looks pretty tidy and well maintained not been but would be interested as to your comments if you go.

Brian

It's been a stunning autumn here with above average temperatures. I've never known 30c in November before. Now cooling off a bit.

Warm days, around 20c (if there is sun, which is most days) but nippy at nights and in the mornings.

Lovely city, overlooked by most.

Minstrel - 2013-11-20 12:43 AMOur outlaws live just inland from Valencia, the weather there is pretty good most of the time, don't think Benidorm has the monopoly on good weather.  Certainly even at Christmas it's usually Tshirt and shorts weather.

We do see Brit tourists in T-Shirts and shorts in the winter walking round Carrefour!! We're like the Spanish and rarely go out in the winter without a couple of layers on.

derek500 - 2013-11-20 8:25 AM
Minstrel - 2013-11-20 12:43 AMOur outlaws live just inland from Valencia, the weather there is pretty good most of the time, don't think Benidorm has the monopoly on good weather.  Certainly even at Christmas it's usually Tshirt and shorts weather.

We do see Brit tourists in T-Shirts and shorts in the winter walking round Carrefour!! We're like the Spanish and rarely go out in the winter without a couple of layers on.
....yes, but Derek, its blooming nippy in Torquay! ;-)

BKen1 - 2013-11-20 8:20 AM

The aire in the city looks very close to the road so would imagine its a bit noisey but very handy for the centre. There is another Aire just south of the city and camping Coll Vert at

39.386724° -0.332111°

looks pretty tidy and well maintained not been but would be interested as to your comments if you go.

Brian

Will update on where we eventually stay, the city one get some bad reports so will probably stay clear. Benidprm - any suggestions on sites that are good for cycling and our dog?

bolero boy - 2013-11-20 9:44 AM
derek500 - 2013-11-20 8:25 AM

....yes, but Derek, its blooming nippy in Torquay! ;-)
Keep forgetting to change location!! In Valencia now until December 6.

Guest JudgeMental
crbtaylor - 2013-11-20 9:10 AM

BKen1 - 2013-11-20 8:20 AM

39.386724° -0.332111°

Brian

Will update on where we eventually stay, the city one get some bad reports so will probably stay clear. Benidprm - any suggestions on sites that are good for cycling and our dog?

don't know what you are missing! Benidorm still a great Spanish town under the skin, with life& atmosphere, good food...you can ignore and stay away from the brit hot spots (easily ignored). And its so cheap as well, and always relatively busy, when other towns can be dead. great cycling infrastructure..Boris "killer" Johnson please note! *-)

but the best bit is the micro climate!

hallii - 2013-11-20 1:50 PM

Personal experience of undesirables around the city aire and an attempted break in put us off Valencia and the surrounding area.

But that's just my experience, it probably not that bad.

H

Just look at the campsite reviews and decide yourself :-(

JamesFrance - 2013-11-20 6:48 PM

crbtaylor - 2013-11-20 10:10 AM

Benidprm - any suggestions on sites that are good for cycling and our dog?

La Torreta and Raco both take dogs and there is a cycle track between them.

I am on La Torreta at the moment and they do take dogs. Had a Brit next to me who normally would be at Raco but due to irresponsible dog owners allowing dogs to roam and deficate as they please said he would not go back. La Torreta is the nearest to the town and a few show bars. Raco is a nice site with indoor and outdoor pools, supermarket and restaurant with a number of bars across the road which tend to be karyoka, bingo or a €1 a pint bar. There are two other sites just along the road from Raco but I found them very residential. There are three other sites in the area but I found them too far out so felt a bit restricted as not prepared to walk up deserted lanes at night. Benidorm has something for everyone, from the Brit bars, which I avoid, to the real Spanish bars. In the old town I have found numerous tapas bars which are full of Spanish where today I had a sardine and small beer for €1, I just don't no how they do it.

Whilst parts of Spain tend to close at this time of year Benidorm does stay alive although I have noted it is quieter and a number of hotels have closed for the season. Whatever, enjoy.

Guest JudgeMental
so you're still there Hamish! I'm well jealous, weather here truly awful! :-S. But have Sri lanka to look forward to real soon..

JudgeMental - 2013-11-20 10:44 PM

so you're still there Hamish! I'm well jealous, weather here truly awful! :-S. But have Sri lanka to look forward to real soon..

Unfortunately as they say all good things must come to an end. Off site next Tuesday down to Santa Polo from where I will visit my brother who lives in Playa Flamenca. MH being parked at airport and we fly home on 30th November however back end of February to bring MH back for end of April.

Sky is clear and blue this morning so long may it continue although that is me being greedy.

Will repeat again next year.

sshortcircuit - 2013-11-21 8:15 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-11-20 10:44 PM

Unfortunately as they say all good things must come to an end. Off site next Tuesday down to Santa Polo from where I will visit my brother who lives in Playa Flamenca. MH being parked at airport and we fly home on 30th November however back end of February to bring MH back for end of April.

Sky is clear and blue this morning so long may it continue although that is me being greedy.

Will repeat again next year.

Thats interesting, as a relative newcomer to motorhomes, this is our 3rd year and second trip abroad I am flying home for a few days in December, leaving the good lady in the sun. Is it expensive to park your motorhome at the airport when you return to the UK and I assume its relatiively secure

Thats interesting, as a relative newcomer to motorhomes, this is our 3rd year and second trip abroad

I was also interested by this post and had a look here http://www.terminalparking.es/en/prices.php at the airport prices.

If you get a good flight price, it can be a lot cheaper than driving all the way back home or driving to santander and paying for a long sailing.

Id just have to look and see which months, if any, we could be without our van as we use it pretty well most of the time.

Worth more investigation i think, tho remember to line up MOT and tax for when you are home ;-)

After a considerable to and fro with the brokers AVIA the insurance company agreed I could park MH for the three months. The parking had to have 24hr manned security, gates locked shut at all times, perimeter fence ???m high CCTV etc. After finding a park that ticked all the boxes I was asked why I could not drive it home. I explained that it would be a round trip of 3500 miles, 20days driving and a ferry????? I paid £50 excess for insurance, 3 months parking was €230 including transfers at Alicante, the return flight Alicante/Edinburgh £135 for the two of us. I have no doubt if you are prepared to take a risk and not involve insurance companies you could do it for a lot less however I have a bit of piece of mind.

Roll on end of February.

Thanks for the info on airport parking, a consideration for the future.

Valencia Update. Eventually decided to stay at Camping Park La Marina at El Saler, a few kilometres south of Valencia. Great little Municipal Aire for 25+ vans, toilet and shower, no electric, 10 Euros a night. Great cycling to Valenia (6 miles to Oceangraph) on dedicated cycle paths along the coast or through the reed beds to the beach approx 600m where there are a few km of cycle paths near the beach. Local town a short walk away. On our cycle ride we also found a wild camping spot right on the beach at the south end of the beach, max stay 48 hours.

Guest JudgeMental

You know that's what I really miss about Spain....safe and warm cycling :-S

In the 2 weeks I've been back in London, 6 cyclists killed and you are taking your life in your hands every time you ride....hardly conducive for health and happiness! I average about 2 near misses a week and I am leisure riding not commuting. It's a shameful situation. Kids all over Europe cycle to school...what chance of that here....

Archived