Valencia

crbtaylor

crbtaylor - 2013-11-23 7:20 PM

Thanks for the info on airport parking, a consideration for the future.

Valencia Update. Eventually decided to stay at Camping Park La Marina at El Saler, a few kilometres south of Valencia. Great little Municipal Aire for 25+ vans, toilet and shower, no electric, 10 Euros a night. Great cycling to Valenia (6 miles to Oceangraph) on dedicated cycle paths along the coast or through the reed beds to the beach approx 600m where there are a few km of cycle paths near the beach. Local town a short walk away. On our cycle ride we also found a wild camping spot right on the beach at the south end of the beach, max stay 48 hours.

Thanks for the feed back sounds really handy and we will be using it in the near future ,always normally bypass Valencia on our way to France, so will take a few days out to visit now.

Brian

sshortcircuit - 2013-11-21 4:28 PM

After a considerable to and fro with the brokers AVIA the insurance company agreed I could park MH for the three months. The parking had to have 24hr manned security, gates locked shut at all times, perimeter fence ???m high CCTV etc. After finding a park that ticked all the boxes I was asked why I could not drive it home. I explained that it would be a round trip of 3500 miles, 20days driving and a ferry????? I paid £50 excess for insurance, 3 months parking was €230 including transfers at Alicante, the return flight Alicante/Edinburgh £135 for the two of us. I have no doubt if you are prepared to take a risk and not involve insurance companies you could do it for a lot less however I have a bit of piece of mind.

Roll on end of February.

Will your cab battery be OK? We stored ours once for a couple of months and the battery drained.

sshortcircuit - 2013-11-21 4:28 PM

After a considerable to and fro with the brokers AVIA the insurance company agreed I could park MH for the three months. The parking had to have 24hr manned security, gates locked shut at all times, perimeter fence ???m high CCTV etc. After finding a park that ticked all the boxes I was asked why I could not drive it home. I explained that it would be a round trip of 3500 miles, 20days driving and a ferry????? I paid £50 excess for insurance, 3 months parking was €230 including transfers at Alicante, the return flight Alicante/Edinburgh £135 for the two of us. I have no doubt if you are prepared to take a risk and not involve insurance companies you could do it for a lot less however I have a bit of piece of mind.

Roll on end of February.

Will your cab battery be OK? We stored ours once for a couple of months and the battery drained.

I have a 90 watt solar panel however not quite sure the starter battery is getting a sufficient charge even with this continuous sunshine. The panel is connected to a Ctek D250S which should automatically charge all the batteries off solar but tried to give the engine a run the other day and starter battery was flat. Was able to charge it through the Sergeant charger as on hook up. If car parking is able to give a jump start will leave starter battery connected, if not may disconnect. It may well be that the battery is on the way out but experience over the next few days will tell as we are moving about. Any advise appreciated.

The weather over the last 7 weeks has been amazing, although the locals say unusual, however it is getting colder at night and in the mornings so I think we have timed our return home about right, that is until I get off the plane at Edinburgh.

If your battery is 4yrs + then it may be OK if you use the van day to day but left parked up for a period of time unused it will discharge itself via internal resistance and maybe the van alarm.....check you solar panel is clean even though its been dry in the day at night you get the high humidity and all the dust in the day will give a mucky coating reducing its efficiency.

You could get one of those dash board solar panels and plug it into the cig, lighter socket that will trickle charge your cab battery if all else fails.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. Battery is original so there are no disappointment if it has to be replaced. Did not what to change it out here as not sure where to go although I recall Carrefour sold batteries. If I can get away with it, I will ask my brother who lives in Playa Flamenca, to get one for our return next year.

Thanks again

Hamish

searchforsites - 2013-11-28 6:22 AM

There is a newish camper park/ aire just outside Valencia which looks a better option than the one in the city.

http://searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=22268

That's only a mile or so from us and I didn't know it existed!!

Betera is ideal for getting into the city and there's a vet who will happily post date a pet passport to save finding one in France (although with the new five day limit it's less of a problem).

Also, a very good and reasonably cheap Fiat service centre. They've serviced our MH since new in 2006 and have no problems at all.

Just noticed posting re leaving m/home in Spain, we have left ours from march/April till October and fly to an fro. We checked with our insurers and no problem so long as in secure, gated, supervised location, (they did say prefer if someone have keys- so left with management on site-although not totally necessary) because long parking 30-50euros a month. we left it on Villimar @ Benidorm which also have security guards and cctv, never had a problem, n plot kept when u take off as we did for a month to travel. Great site with two large outdoor pools, 1 indoor heated, lovely gardens, club house, laundry,shop and hairdresser. good rates for long stay B-)

Villamar certainly is a lovely site. Had a good look round it a few years ago and at that time they did not take tourers. My only comments are that it is a bit out the way and very, very residential. Had another walk round a few weeks ago and noted numerous empty pitches which had not been the case previously and did notice an area where motorhomes were parked but gave no thought to long term parking. Unless you can get somebody to transfer you to and from the airport it can be difficult and expensive which influenced our parking at airport.

I would again agree that Villamar is a lovely site but not for us.

Guest JudgeMental
I had a look around last month as well..Not for me I'm afraid as a large and ugly looking site, cut into large packed blocks.....I'm happy enough on as site with mixed residential and touring in winter, but hate large scale sites... a cycle ride around this site was enough to strike it off my list! Torreta and El Raco probably better, even the rough and ready camping benidorm would be preferable.....

Archived