Ducato cold feet controls

CPeachey

I get cold feet when driving, even in decent weather. I never seem to get any warmth at foot level so have been investigating. The right hand knob (air distribution knob) does not turn all the way to the right so cannot quite get the "max" setting. It stops just before this mark.

I have removed the glove box (scary!!!) and can see the back of the knobs looking through from the left where the glove box would have been.

Is the switch mechanical with a cable attached?

What could be the problem?

Other forum post mention gears out of mesh but I am not sure if that is relevant or where they are located.

Any offers please?

Chris

:-(

Found this which seems to be the info I need...

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-92802-days0-orderasc-10.html.

It seems that draughty cabs are a widespread problem. (05 Ducato) People have found draughts from all sorts of places in the cab including the seat belts! Looks like I've a fair bit of work to do!

Any tips would be most welcome.

CPeachey - 2013-11-24 6:12 PM

It seems that draughty cabs are a widespread problem. (05 Ducato) People have found draughts from all sorts of places in the cab including the seat belts! Looks like I've a fair bit of work to do!

Any tips would be most welcome.

Swap it for a Merc :D

No draughts, Eberspacher 5kW Auxiliary heater and lovely toasty toes :-)

The foot level vent from the central consul only has an outlet to the drivers side. My OH complained about cold feet so I cut out a vent on the passenger side, there is a knock out section in the fascia on both sides so it easy to see what needs doing . It only took 15 minutes to do and now the OH is happy. Well not happy that would be too much to expect.but is not growling so much. :-D

We have a 2005 based Fiat Auto Trail and found that cold air was getting into the cab area via the radio speakers in the doors, well I speakers they we non....... just provision for them. Removed the three screws and then taped clear plastic inside ,,, Walla no cold draft. It worked fine last winter while in France and Spain December and January and at no cost. B-)

We have the same Fiat . No problem with ours, in fact feet can get too hot. Most drafts, usually come from behind , in the empty van, try putting a curtain/blanket hung behind the seats.Also as Judge said, thermal socks and boots.

PJay

I've given up trying to access the vent controls. It looks as though too much of the dashboard would have to come out. It may not even be causing the cold feet problem so not worth more effort.

The curtain idea does seem popular so will try that. Also concentrate on putting insulation on the cab floor where there are gaps plus doors and seat belts.

CPeachey - 2013-11-25 11:59 AM

I've given up trying to access the vent controls. It looks as though too much of the dashboard would have to come out. It may not even be causing the cold feet problem so not worth more effort.

The curtain idea does seem popular so will try that. Also concentrate on putting insulation on the cab floor where there are gaps plus doors and seat belts.

Do you have carpet on the cab floor? Or maybe just the rubber flooring? We do have carpet on ours.

CPeachey - 2013-11-25 6:46 PM

We have a "Ducato" carpet and separate underlay but the wheel arches, footwell and step areas are just standard comercial van covering so it's these areas to concentrate on. (Plus a curtain)

Just had a thought!

Do the cab doors fit well? I ask because we put draft excluder around ours, as I did feel a slight draft from around them, You can buy it in white, also helps to cut down if any noise coming through.

Cliffy - 2013-11-24 8:53 PM

The foot level vent from the central consul only has an outlet to the drivers side. My OH complained about cold feet so I cut out a vent on the passenger side, there is a knock out section in the fascia on both sides so it easy to see what needs doing . It only took 15 minutes to do and now the OH is happy. Well not happy that would be too much to expect.but is not growling so much. :-D

So on this occasion my wife is right she really does get cold feet in the motorhome. Sorry dear.

Guest 1footinthegrave
We have had four of these vans now, all suffering from poor cab warmth, may have been mentioned but block off behind you with heavy curtains, or any other method, the vans heater seems to only be designed to heat that small amount of space, the other thing I have found that seems to help is to block off the fluted vents on the side of the doors that seem to draw cold air in as well, take the easy option and stick some duct tape over them on the outside. ;-) do that and you should soon be stripping off due to the warmth.

Cliffy - 2013-11-24 8:53 PM

This is NOT an X250, (is it?) so, is the previous 'Sevel' cab, and the above 'Fix' allows more warm air to be directed into the cab's footwells, the 'knockout' section is down at foot level. You probably need a stanley knife to cut through the plastic (be very careful !). It worked on my 2005 Autocruise and as cliffy said only takes 15mins. This doesn't stop all the other draughts that others have mentioned though.

In the end the only way to get a warmer Cab is to 'upgrade' to an X250, and even that isn't perfect.

Ray

We have same van and found it draughty at first. If you open the doors there is a 'fin' at right angles (Just below the locks) in the door to take in air/ventilation etc. This is where the air comes in and then out via the speaker cut-outs. A length of gaffa tape over this vent will stop the cold air getting in then the only other draughty bit is the handbrake. I stuffed a bit of flexible foam in that and we are lovely & warm now. Do agree though, when it's very cold close the cab curtain behind the seats and you will be much warmer. Closing the air vents on dashboard will also direct more heat to feet area

Mike

Archived