Screen Covers Inside or Out?

Gravemaurice

Hi,

On our first trip away we found the windscreen streaming in the morning. We have cab curtains.

It was really wet outside and we probably could have had better ventilation but it was so cold outside we had everything shut up tight.

The suggestion was made that silver screen covers would not only provide great insulation to improve the internal temperature by retaining the heat better but that it would also improve the condensation.

Having a bit of a look on t'interweb you can get internal screens which seem to sucker on or external ones.

There also seem to be plenty on the market but I would imagine quality will vary. I've got a Peugeot Boxer cab.

What's best? Does anyone have any preferences/pros/cons?

Thanks for any advice.

We have Silver Screens this is the fourth van we have had them fitted on. Cold and wet outside no condensation inside, unless we have created a lot of steam from cooking, but that's only if the Kitchen roof vent is not open.

You will get all sort of opinions, and which are the best for insulation and the best make, at the end of the day you make your own choice.

Personally we never use the things as mopping up a bit of condensation in the morning is easier than going outside in the cold and wet to remove and store wet screens - always assuming you have space to stow them where they won't get other things wet - and don't forget to dry them before leaving them a long time as they can go quite smelly and stained with mould - so I am told?

Less of an issue if you stay in one place for several days I guess but we tend to be a bit nomadic.

Those that do use them seem to love 'em and most generally reckon the externals work much better than the internals, which makes sense I guess!

So now you have the anti view and no doubt all the pro views will follow which should help you decide which to opt for!

External screens are the only answer to condensation and for keeping the heat out in summer.

Internal screens do little to reduce condensation and in the summer some argue that they reflect the sun onto the screen and increase the chance of the screen overheating and cracking . Maybe true in theory but I have my doubts in the real world.Pleated blinds give you privacy but in my view little else apart from being a dust trap and as they get older expensive to repair.

Outside work great and are not difficult to remove and store. Darn site easier than mopping up water each morning.

Also good in hot weather and privacy on a night. With the cab curtains open the van feels more spacious. Get screen which has the top half that folds down for during the day lets the light in and allows you to see the view.

Thanks.

Yeah, we didn't go for fitted blinds as an option on our van because of their proximity to the glass and perhaps potential for getting a bit damp if there is condensation.

The external blinds do seem more effective all round but obviously will be more likely to get messy I thought in our frequently wet weather.

If the internals are actually effective I'm being drawn towards them.

Have tried to get away with internal screens a few times, but for all year round, external ones are a must

Just received my new screens from Taylormade today ,2007 Boxer Standard ordered last Friday £137.70 with postage,they have the fold down center section too.

Gravemaurice,

This is a bit of an 'Old Chestnut' on here, We all seem to agree that External's are the best for Winter camping, no condensation, I have had Silverscreens and Taylormade both with a fold down centre panel, to look out during the daytime. Both as well made as each other. recommend either make. They will solve your problem. They are also good in the Hot sun, as they are reflective and insulate the heat out, just as well as they do IN. I have pleated blinds as well, but still use external Silverscreens in the Winter. Ray

with internals, you will STILL get condensation, the only advantage is you don't have to step outside to take them on/off (quick getaway ?) . So, they get wet too.

Rayjsj - 2013-11-27 9:42 PM

We all seem to agree that External's are the best for Winter camping,

No we do not >:-)

We use Internals, camp throughout the winter and do NOT have to mop up endless condensation and have the added bonus that we do not have to pack up soaking wet external screens when the weather is not at its best!

What we do is always make sure we have adequate ventilation to prevent excess moisture in the air in the MH.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, you pay your money and take your pick.

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2013-11-27 10:27 PM

We use Internals, camp throughout the winter and do NOT have to mop up endless condensation and have the added bonus that we do not have to pack up soaking wet external screens when the weather is not at its best!

What we do is always make sure we have adequate ventilation to prevent excess moisture in the air in the MH.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, you pay your money and take your pick.

Keith.

Adequate ventilation...........means a slightly open window ;-).............which in winter means very cold air 8-)...............I'd rather a soggy external in the morning......than a cold draught up my back passage during the night ;-)

External are better, the only thing against seems to be people who have some kind of thing, about being able to move the van in an emergency without going outside to take them off. We've had both the internals still give condensation, plus sticky marks all over the screen.

Enjoy winter camping we do.

Caddies104 - 2013-11-27 11:07 PM

Agree horses for courses, but seeing vanners perhaps out in the rain struggling to put up the screen always remind me of the Tuggers-putting up there must have Awnings. Just don't see the point but have always had built in blinds, so biased I know....

By "built in blinds do you mean "Remis type" If so then they don't give any insulation (ok minimal maybe).

We have Remis blinds which are fine for summer camping and privacy. If you want to stay warm and aren't waiting for or expecting to have to leave quickly; then external insulated screen covers are the best bet. Remis + Externals = comfort ( with a bit of ventilation). If you don't have anywhere to store them when wet; that's maybe an issue. Compromise/compromise/compromise!

That's the name of the game!

regards

alan b

We had external on the old van, internal now.

No question that external are much more effective against condensation, and we did more UK touring in the old van.

Not much to choose in terms of general insulation, keeping heat IN.

But we find internal ones are better in summer for keeping heat OUT, now we do more continental trips. They're also more convenient, especially for short overnight stops and easier to store.

So we're willing to put up with a bit of condensation, especially since we got one of those penguin bags of absorbent crystals to put on the dashboard.

I suppose the ideal would be to own both and take the best one for a particular trip, but who can afford that?!

Tony Jones - 2013-11-28 7:31 AM

We had external on the old van, internal now.

No question that external are much more effective against condensation, and we did more UK touring in the old van.

Not much to choose in terms of general insulation, keeping heat IN.

But we find internal ones are better in summer for keeping heat OUT, now we do more continental trips. They're also more convenient, especially for short overnight stops and easier to store.

So we're willing to put up with a bit of condensation, especially since we got one of those penguin bags of absorbent crystals to put on the dashboard.

I suppose the ideal would be to own both and take the best one for a particular trip, but who can afford that?!

We have both types, when we're dashing down thro' France in a few weeks we'll use both at the same time. When we're free camping in Spain & Portugal it'll just be the internal ones. Oh the joy of an A class, loads of space.

Gravemaurice - 2013-11-27 8:10 PM

Hi,

On our first trip away we found the windscreen streaming in the morning. We have cab curtains...................The suggestion was made that silver screen covers would not only provide great insulation to improve the internal temperature by retaining the heat better but that it would also improve the condensation..............................

To reduce condensation you will need external screens. These allow the windscreen and cab windows to become warmer, so reducing the likelihood of condensation. Buy good quality, I would suggest after you have seen, and compared, what is on offer. Some of the cheap ones are very thin, so liable to be of minimal use. Taylormade, Silver Screens, or Van Comfort are good sources. They won't be cheap, and they will be bulky, but they will work!

However, do be aware that if you create enough humidity inside a van on a cold night you will generate condensation whatever kind of screen cover you use. The higher the thermal quality of the screens the lower that risk, but eventually a tipping point will be reached. Ventilation when cooking is therefore essential, and is desirable at all times.

Keithl - 2013-11-27 10:27 PM

Keith.

I based my statement on previous posts on this subject, not 100% I know, but at least 85% in favour of externals.

Once again thanks for the feedback!

As we do intend year round use mainly in the UK at weekends unless on actual holidays when we intend torun for the sun I am being drawn towards externals.

Storage space is a bit of an issue but we will survive.

Better start saving more pennies!

Tony Jones - 2013-11-28 7:31 AM

Er ... we have both Tony! :D Plus Remis blinds as well. :->

You cannot beat external ones for keeping a van warm and reducing condensation. You also don't have to pay the earth for them, all of ours were 'second hand' off Ebay, an owner selling them at a show, etc, usually having had minimal use.

We use external in spring/autumn as a general rule and internal in the summer however, we do have both lots with us normally as we have space to store them - I keep them in a large black zip-up Royal storage 'bin' under the dinette table so they are easily accessible but out of the way.

I've altered an old set of internal ones to fit between the windscreen and Remis blinds, and the same for the cab door windows too, that way if we have a cool night in summer we have some insulation from the cold rather than just having the Remis blinds. Obviously we can also use the internal ones to protect against the heat when the dogs are in the camper if we have to pop out (shopping etc) as the Remis blinds themselves don't stop much heat or light.

I suppose if we had a really, really cold spell we could use both the external, internal and Remis for good measure! *-)

As for putting on/taking off the external ones, they are easy peasy so long as you fold them correctly when taking them off and then reverse the process when putting them on ... we can have ours on or off within 20 seconds ... if they're wet but it has stopped raining all I do is give them a quick wipe with a good moisture absorbing cloth and then stick them in the bag, if not I'll just stick them in the bag and then sort them later ... it really is NOT a problem!

Gravemaurice - 2013-11-28 9:01 PM

As we do intend year round use mainly in the UK at weekends unless on actual holidays when we intend torun for the sun I am being drawn towards externals.

For the usage you describe I think that's the right choice Maurice. Go for it!

Gravemaurice - 2013-11-28 9:01 PM

If storage space is at a premium Silver Screens are a lot less bulky than Taylormade.

Archived