Pulling my Truma c6002eh to bits, HELP ! !

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
Dave Newell - 2013-12-04 6:58 AM

For goodness sake its CO not CO2!

D.

It might be the CC................thought I'd get that in before anyone else does. :D anyway whatever it is you'll be glad to know we survived. ;-)

Colin Leake - 2013-12-03 6:47 PM

Rapido must be going backwards. Our 2005 Rapido did indeed have the heater under the double bed. It was at the time Truma were doing an upgrade which in our case was done at our house. Fitter commentated how unusual it was to find a layout with good access. As a bonus it kept your toes nice and warm at night when the weather was really cold.

Our present British AutoTrail has the heater Ina separate enclosure in the garage. Looks as if access would be very easy.

As I said earlier, Rapido’s policy is (and has been for a good while) to install a Truma combination heater centrally in a motorhome if this is practicable. As a rule of thumb, if a Rapido’s design has an L-shaped kitchen, the heater will be shoe-horned into the kitchen unit. Some current Rapido models have their heater elsewhere, however, an example being the 640 where the heater is housed beneath the rear double bed.

For an optimum system Truma advises that the heater should be installed close to the centre of the leisure-vehicle, allowing a balanced flow of warmed air from air trunks of roughly equal length. Trunks should be as short and have as few sharp bends as possible. An ideal system should operate satisfactorily with no ‘butterfly flaps’ in the air outlets. Closing a flap in one outlet to increase the volume of air coming from another outlet ‘throttles’ the heater and reduces efficiency.

These heaters are recirculatory, intended to suck in air from the habitation area, heat it and return it to the habitation area. To allow the circulation flow to happen, the heater should be located with its blown-air fan close to a substantially-sized opening into the habitation area.

For obvious reasons, some physical protection for the heater should be provided, but it should still be possible to access the heater easily for basic servicing, and it should not be necessary to dismantle half the leisure-vehicle to remove the heater.

This link is to an MMM August 2012 review of a Bailey Approach SE 745

http://tinyurl.com/o3q3nbq

Photo 9 shows the under-bed area and it will be apparent that the Truma Combi heater is vulnerable to damage (mentioned in the MMM report) and is positioned at the very back of the vehicle. It would be simple to provide physical protection and retain accessibility, but very long trunks to feed air to the front of the motorhome are inevitable. I ask myself why Bailey put the heater there when it seems possible for it to go at the opposite end of the under-bed space.

I don’t know how Auto-Trail has fitted your motorhome’s heater but, as it’s in the garage, the air trunks will be long. I recall occasionally seeing Truma combination heaters installed in a motorhome garage with no link between garage and habitation area. This obviously prevents warm air circulation from taking place and massively reduces heating efficiency. Hopefully Auto-Trail haven’t done that.

Guest 1footinthegrave
One CB we had, the combi was sited under the fixed rear bed, easy to get at for servicing, and residual warmth under the bed, as for longish lengths of blow air trunking has no one heard of insulation in this industry. :-S As for my Rapido, if anyone could see the huge build up of dust & fluff that has obviously been drawn into the void behind the units in my van, and almost clogged the air circulation fan, no one would fit in that space in a million years..............and yet they do, but no doubt by the time it's creating a problem the van is well out of warranty, so why would they care. ( not a very happy Rapido owner at the moment )

Guest 1footinthegrave
1footinthegrave - 2013-12-04 11:47 AM

One CB we had, the combi was sited under the fixed rear bed, easy to get at for servicing, and residual warmth under the bed, as for longish lengths of blow air trunking has no one heard of insulation in this industry. :-S As for my Rapido, if anyone could see the huge build up of dust & fluff that has obviously been drawn into the void behind the units in my van, and almost clogged the air circulation fan, no one would fit in that space in a million years..............and yet they do, but no doubt by the time it's creating a problem the van is well out of warranty, so why would they care. ( not a very happy Rapido owner at the moment )

Just an update for anyone interested, the main PCB has gone off to Truma for testing, just a waiting game for now.......... ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-04 10:19 AM

Colin Leake - 2013-12-03 6:47 PM

Rapido must be going backwards. Our 2005 Rapido did indeed have the heater under the double bed. It was at the time Truma were doing an upgrade which in our case was done at our house. Fitter commentated how unusual it was to find a layout with good access. As a bonus it kept your toes nice and warm at night when the weather was really cold.

Our present British AutoTrail has the heater Ina separate enclosure in the garage. Looks as if access would be very easy.

As I said earlier, Rapido’s policy is (and has been for a good while) to install a Truma combination heater centrally in a motorhome if this is practicable. As a rule of thumb, if a Rapido’s design has an L-shaped kitchen, the heater will be shoe-horned into the kitchen unit. Some current Rapido models have their heater elsewhere, however, an example being the 640 where the heater is housed beneath the rear double bed.

For an optimum system Truma advises that the heater should be installed close to the centre of the leisure-vehicle, allowing a balanced flow of warmed air from air trunks of roughly equal length. Trunks should be as short and have as few sharp bends as possible. An ideal system should operate satisfactorily with no ‘butterfly flaps’ in the air outlets. Closing a flap in one outlet to increase the volume of air coming from another outlet ‘throttles’ the heater and reduces efficiency.

These heaters are recirculatory, intended to suck in air from the habitation area, heat it and return it to the habitation area. To allow the circulation flow to happen, the heater should be located with its blown-air fan close to a substantially-sized opening into the habitation area.

For obvious reasons, some physical protection for the heater should be provided, but it should still be possible to access the heater easily for basic servicing, and it should not be necessary to dismantle half the leisure-vehicle to remove the heater.

This link is to an MMM August 2012 review of a Bailey Approach SE 745

http://tinyurl.com/o3q3nbq

Photo 9 shows the under-bed area and it will be apparent that the Truma Combi heater is vulnerable to damage (mentioned in the MMM report) and is positioned at the very back of the vehicle. It would be simple to provide physical protection and retain accessibility, but very long trunks to feed air to the front of the motorhome are inevitable. I ask myself why Bailey put the heater there when it seems possible for it to go at the opposite end of the under-bed space.

I don’t know how Auto-Trail has fitted your motorhome’s heater but, as it’s in the garage, the air trunks will be long. I recall occasionally seeing Truma combination heaters installed in a motorhome garage with no link between garage and habitation area. This obviously prevents warm air circulation from taking place and massively reduces heating efficiency. Hopefully Auto-Trail haven’t done that.

The trunking runs are indeed long and some run under the floor. I have now insulated them which has improved the performance.

In the Rapido I also thought the unit was a bit vulnerable so I fitted and extra low partition to protect it.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-04 12:39 PM

Just an update for anyone interested, the main PCB has gone off to Truma for testing, just a waiting game for now.......... ;-)

So what's the procedure there Mike?...if need be,do they recon' them? ..or offer a service exchange?(...or will it be a brand spanking new one?).

And have you any further thoughts on repositioning the heater...or would that be too big a job?

Guest 1footinthegrave

So far Truma UK have been a light in a sea of darkness, but they will only be testing the board, they do not repair them, not that that is a surprise being full of tiny electronic components, nor do they sell them direct to the public I will have to buy one from a dealer, but that doesn't present a real problem.

As for changing it's installation position two thoughts really now I've had more time to think it over,

a, it's been where it is since first installed some 8 years ago, so just take a deep breath, develop the hands the size of a child's, and the patience of job and stick it back

b, if it gives me a problem in the future I don't think I could face attempting to access it again so move it just in case.

However before I can make any decision it's a work in progress because I will need to determine if the wiring harness is long enough to reach my preferred position, as there does not seem to be extensions for the loom available, from what I can see they just come in fixed lengths so will need to check that out as I said, the water and gas connections can easily be extended, as can the hot air trunking, not sure about the exhaust gas flue length as yet, in so much as how far can the balanced flue wall outlet type can be, but. I'm going to be doing to use a posh phrase " a feasibility study" tomorrow daytime about everything else, and if I end up having to have another flue so be it.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes I've got them thanks Derek, apparently Rapido hasn't got a copy, nor Hymer from some of the things I've read :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
rolandrat - 2013-12-04 6:34 PM

Just an observation Mike, you haven't mentioned anything about the thermostat. A wire hasn't become disconnected has it. Without it being connected it won't fire up or am I clutching at straws so to speak.

I'm assuming you mean the roomstat, or the wall mode selector switch, that too has been removed to check the wiring is secure but thanks for the comment, but no all of the wiring was intact, and the heater did work of a fashion to begin with, but was clearly not right. On another's suggestion I removed all the wiring to the PCB after disconnecting the leisure battery ( which was another suggestion to force a reset ) and reconnected it all making sure it was clipped in securely,despite the fact that the main PCB is very insecurely mounted and has a very poor housing that had left it rattling around no doubt for a very long time.

Anyway as stated the main PCB has gone off to Truma for checking, we'll see where we go from there.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like you've got a Rapido 786F. I had a similar problem getting to my heater assy and found the easiest way to get at the heater is to dismantle the partition between the cupboard and heater, then the cooker hob from the worktop, you've then got loads of room to extract the heater and or any other bits. Hope this info is some use to you

Archived