Anyone on La Torreta?

JamesFrance

Guest JudgeMental
site was pretty quiet with lots of vacant pitches when I cycled around it approx 3 weeks ago...if its anything like site I was on most head back in November....have you been over Christmas before James, if yes what is it like there at that time....

Thanks, yes we have been there over Christmas for years. The site give us all presents, last year a box of biscuits and a bottle of Cava. We had several winters at Raco as Torreta never had a sunny quiet pitch available, but have been back at Torreta for the last 2 years as we prefer it.

Left just over a week ago. Plenty of room on the "council" side although many in the shadow of the college. Still room in the part behind Benidorm Palace but filling up with the Scandinavians who are in for the long term. Unable to comment about other sites but La Torreta certaintly make you feel welcome and are making an effort with their renovated restaurant. Will be back in March/April. Enjoy

Yes it is getting cooler now, we are at Sant Carles marina and it is only 16C this afternoon here but wall to wall sunshine from a bright blue sky, so it is very nice out and about. Quite cold here at night but we have an oil radiator and free electric (we have a boat here, unfortunately they won't allow other campers). Much warmer at night in Benidorm though.

Will probably have Christmas dinner at the Mandarin as they don't charge extra on Christmas day, unlike most places. Waiting to see what the new site restaurant has to offer as it closed and was stripped when we were there last February.

horse444 - 2013-12-09 5:13 PM

(lol) the Mandarin 'chinese' changed owners not as good, better two doors up at Red Apple its the man that was in Mandarin Sorry wasn't near La Toretta earlier this month, but def. chilly at night *-)

Its all a matter of choice and did try the red apple which if I remember did not do a buffet? Not particularly impressed by a waiter dressed in football training attire although food comparable with mandarin who did do a buffet with a huge range cooked in front of you.

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Manu, sore point actually, as have just cancelled Sri Lanka holiday :-S we had really good flights with short stop overs and after 4 "schedule changes" ended up with flights in middle of night and 5 hour stopovers! Airline taking the pi$$ so cancelled :-(

Was looking at getting something somewhere else but prices silly now...probably stay at home or go up to family in shropshire. As I'm on my ownsome (wife still working) when I go to Benidorm, I use Arena Blanca as my mate Syd and family go there and they look after me :D

Manu - 2013-12-10 1:26 PM

Hi James, are you at La Torreta yet, if so can you tell me if it is same procedure as Raco......ie ,find a pitch then go to office, what are prices ,is it full .....will be there early Jan ?

Thanks, Phil

Yes we are on the site now and there are pitches available but they do have some regular bookings so you would need to ask at reception what is free when you arrive. The price is up this year to 15€ per day for over 30 days including 4kw electric. Raco is more expensive now and only 2kw.

We went to the new Chinese last night, as we have known the guy there for at least 10 years, we even went to one in Altea to see him when he was over there, so good to have him back after he left the Mandarin last winter. The Thai food is hot hot hot, but they have the usual Chinese menu as well so we will go for that next time.

• 3 months later...
sshortcircuit - 2013-12-09 5:24 PM

horse444 - 2013-12-09 5:13 PM

(lol) the Mandarin 'chinese' changed owners not as good, better two doors up at Red Apple its the man that was in Mandarin Sorry wasn't near La Toretta earlier this month, but def. chilly at night *-)

Its all a matter of choice and did try the red apple which if I remember did not do a buffet? Not particularly impressed by a waiter dressed in football training attire although food comparable with mandarin who did do a buffet with a huge range cooked in front of you.

Gave the Red Apple another chance this week. Food excellent but service dreadful, two hours for a simple meal. Staff have no eye contact and walk passed cluttered tables empty handed, so customer training essential for staff. Couple behind us walked out after giving order then ignored. Well I have given them a second chance, but now never again

Guest JudgeMental
Hamish is site full or is there availability. and what side is best do you think? right or left where pool and bar is?. a friend is heading down that way and I think site will suit them better as closer to town....

Yes the food comes slowly at the Red Apple, but there is a reason for that as the food is all freshly cooked, unlike the reheated meals at most of the other Benidorm Chineses. They do get overloaded on a busy night, but for what they charge I doubt they have been able to pay for non family staff as a new business, but as they are getting a lot of regulars they will proably soon be able to afford more help. Mother cooking and father and son doing the waiting, with a very pleasant Spanish girl part time at weekends, working very hard 7 days a week for long hours.

Prices look steep, if I am reading it correctly

14.2e + 3.90e EHU + 12..0e for 2 persons = 30.10 e PER NIGHT

maybe some-one who has been can advise me? period envisaged between end April to end May, for 2/3 days

probably try Arena Blanca, as is in ACSI 16e inclusive

PJay

JudgeMental - 2014-03-13 2:02 PM

Hamish is site full or is there availability. and what side is best do you think? right or left where pool and bar is?. a friend is heading down that way and I think site will suit them better as closer to town....

Plenty spaces. We prefer the right hand side up the top behind Benidorm Palace. Pitches are not that big but you do get a good view but the downside is 2/3 nights a week the Palace is on and you can hear the noise. OK at moment but last year the buses in the car park ran their engines for air conditioning so a bit noisy in early hours but none so far.

Plenty pitches on the left hand side with good views to the mountains and quite big. My only concern is that you may get fan noises from the college but I cannot confirm. The bottom end of this side is a Brit enclave so well avoided??

Walked round Vilasol and El Raco and both have plenty spaces. I think the northern Europeans are starting to leave.

Whatever enjoy

PJay - 2014-03-13 3:32 PM

maybe some-one who has been can advise me? period envisaged between end April to end May, for 2/3 days

PJay

La Torreta is €15 per night including 4kW for a stay of 30 nights for two persons. Sorry just reread your post and it will be dearer for 2/3 nights so you would be better on one of the ACSI sites, there are 3 sites

JamesFrance - 2014-03-13 2:17 PM

Yes the food comes slowly at the Red Apple, but there is a reason for that as the food is all freshly cooked, unlike the reheated meals at most of the other Benidorm Chineses. They do get overloaded on a busy night, but for what they charge I doubt they have been able to pay for non family staff as a new business, but as they are getting a lot of regulars they will proably soon be able to afford more help. Mother cooking and father and son doing the waiting, with a very pleasant Spanish girl part time at weekends, working very hard 7 days a week for long hours.

Its everybody to their own but to sit for 20 minutes for your order to be taken and then wait as long for the drinks to appear, well????. Freshly cooked? The starter of spring roll was no different from any other. The main course was reheated rice from a large wok with the chicken in a sauce none of which I suspect freshly cooked and the logistics of serving so many meals by one cook freshly would be impossible.

Yes the food tasted good but to sit for so long waiting for service and being ignored is not my idea of service however tasty the food is.

sshortcircuit - 2014-03-13 4:10 PM

PJay - 2014-03-13 3:32 PM

PJay

La Torreta is €15 per night including 4kW for a stay of 30 nights for two persons. Sorry just reread your post and it will be dearer for 2/3 nights so you would be better on one of the ACSI sites, there are 3 sites

Hamish

Yes I don't think we would want to stay for 30 nights!! So as I thought rather expensive, when we can use ACSI. and don't use the pool etc

Thanks any way for confirmation, not even sure if I can get OH to even come to Benidorm!!!

PJay

Just for you Judge, took a walk up to Arena Blanca today, full and overflowing into car park where there is some space. It looks as though they have cleared a row in front of the pool and installed cabins for rent. The restaurant/bar has been completed with shop and looks very good and reasonably priced.

Walked further on to Camping Benidorm and there were p!enty spaces.

The Deloix has just reopened and they are in preparing the pink building just down the road which is used as a studio for the reception/hairdressers in the Benidorm series. They were auditioning but had no parts for a grumpy old man.

I do detect a slight upturn in Spain as a number of renovation/new shops are happening along with work on the highest building which had been stopped for ages.

Its Friday and time to keep clear of the Brit bars as the hens and stags arrive of all different ages, so that is another good sign

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Hamish....Cant come down for now at easter due to a health issue, all being well will make is Sept/Oct time. Still have Italy in summer to look forward to....seems like my friend who I initially asked about Torreta for not going either as we wont be here..but thanks again for all the info have a great time, we will have that beer sometime :-D

Can imagine camping Benidorm always having availability...Its a bit rough and ready but I guess it would do if stuck :D

Archived