ACSI 2013 DVD arrived!!

Bulletguy

Chris, the books only contain the list of sites which subscribe to the ACSI off-peak reductions scheme (about 2,500 sites). It is only these sites' co-ordinates that can be downloaded en-bloc from Eurocampings. However, use of the discount scheme requires the ACSI card, which can only be obtained by buying the printed books.

OTOH, the DVD contains all ACSI inspected sites, whether they subscribe to the scheme or not (just under 10,000 sites). Co-ordinates for these extra sites are given, but are only downloadable on a one site at a time basis, so potentially a very long job! Sorry if you already know that, but others may not.

Brian Kirby - 2013-12-20 11:42 AM

Chris, the books only contain the list of sites which subscribe to the ACSI off-peak reductions scheme (about 2,500 sites). It is only these sites' co-ordinates that can be downloaded en-bloc from Eurocampings. However, use of the discount scheme requires the ACSI card, which can only be obtained by buying the printed books.

OTOH, the DVD contains all ACSI inspected sites, whether they subscribe to the scheme or not (just under 10,000 sites). Co-ordinates for these extra sites are given, but are only downloadable on a one site at a time basis, so potentially a very long job! Sorry if you already know that, but others may not.

Yes, cheers Brian. We are o ly interested in the ACSI discount sites and the POI foles that go with them.

I did know about the other ACSI 'inspected' sites but yend to stay at the discounted sites.

My post was to alert ACSI mambers to the fact that the POI files have arrived and that I, as a true computer professional ;-) , have tested them on my two Tomtoms and that they do reflect the latest books.

Oh no Derek,

We are waiting for the CCI card too. Its now 21 days which is what they said to wait for. We are leaving 5th Jan. Looks like I will have to get one from CCC club now and have it sent to Spain as you cannot attend rallies without one.

Can't believe they have shut already and not opening till the 2nd. Mad

Chris

Derek just seen a message on their website that if you ordered before 7th Nov you will get the card by xmas but after 7th nov you will get as soon as possible after xmas. Need mine asap. Not happy

Bolero boy. Just located the Gps section

Keithl - 2013-12-21 2:52 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-12-19 6:47 PM

My ACSI 2013 DVD arrived today and am well pleased.

Bargain at just £5.63 inc postage. (lol)

Excellent service seen as there is only a few days of 2013 left :D

Surely it's time to get your 2014?

BIB.....why?

More than double the price excluding postage cost and doubtful it has sites on that the 2013 hasn't.

Anyone with the 2014 dvd will be more than welcome to compare with my 2013 issue. (lol)

chris - 2013-12-21 5:20 PM

Derek just seen a message on their website that if you ordered before 7th Nov you will get the card by xmas but after 7th nov you will get as soon as possible after xmas. Need mine asap. Not happy

Bolero boy. Just located the Gps section

Ok Chris, yes it's on the MyACSI page

Bulletguy - 2013-12-21 6:49 PM

Keithl - 2013-12-21 2:52 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-12-19 6:47 PM

My ACSI 2013 DVD arrived today and am well pleased.

Bargain at just £5.63 inc postage. (lol)

Excellent service seen as there is only a few days of 2013 left :D

Surely it's time to get your 2014?

BIB.....why?

More than double the price excluding postage cost and doubtful it has sites on that the 2013 hasn't.

Anyone with the 2014 dvd will be more than welcome to compare with my 2013 issue. (lol)

Paul, just remember that you can't use the 2014 GPS POI files with the 2013 books or DVD as they won't match.

bolero boy - 2013-12-21 9:19 PM

Paul, just remember that you can't use the 2014 GPS POI files with the 2013 books or DVD as they won't match.

Never downloaded ACSI POI's so no idea if they are of any use to me or not. When you say "GPS POI".....not quite sure what you mean when saying 'they won't match'? Unless a place physically moves from one to another, a co-ord is a co-ord is a co-ord so to speak....if you get my drift? Eg the co-ord for Buckingham Palace is the same this year as it was when it was built........unless someone knows something i don't? :D

All camping site info and GPS co-ords are on the DVD and the only POI's i have installed in my SatNav are Stellplatz sites. Never bothered with things such as Supermarkets or Fuel Stations as they are always around.

When you use your satnav to locate a Stelleplatz using an installed POI file you can navigate to the entry just by touching it, you don't need to type in the coordinates. This is how I use the POI file for ACSI sites, no keying of digits, possibly getting them wrong.

When I say that they don't match, I mean that the POI file gives page/site number detail so that you can read in the book about the site you can see on your map. The latest POI file will have a few new sites so won't line up with last years books/DVD.

I prefer to just touch an icon on a screen than type in digits, that's all. Seems easier to me but you have to load the files to be able to do this, as you do with your Stellplatz.

bolero boy - 2013-12-21 10:58 PM

When you use your satnav to locate a Stelleplatz using an installed POI file you can navigate to the entry just by touching it, you don't need to type in the coordinates. This is how I use the POI file for ACSI sites, no keying of digits, possibly getting them wrong.

When I say that they don't match, I mean that the POI file gives page/site number detail so that you can read in the book about the site you can see on your map. The latest POI file will have a few new sites so won't line up with last years books/DVD.

I prefer to just touch an icon on a screen than type in digits, that's all. Seems easier to me but you have to load the files to be able to do this, as you do with your Stellplatz.

Blimey......forget that!

Call me 'old fashioned' but i prefer the manual method of keying any co-ord in myself. Never failed yet. In fact the only time i have had problems is from 'duff' co-ords that i've pulled from websites......one of which i see being recommended on this forum in posts, "MagBaz travels". They don't update their site and there are co-ords for campsite on their which have long since ceased to exist! I emailed them about this but they never replied so can only assume they aren't interested.

No worries, using POI files is not compulsory ;-) its just that this type of file is what drives many of the functions on a sat nav. Extremely useful when, for instance, you want to find the nearest fuel station or LPG supply...or even an ACSI site close to a particular destination. Yes, we have the maps and the books to check out the detail of the site but just prefer not having to,type in the coordinates. It's a bit like having your family or friends numbers in your phone, I wouldn't dream of having to key them in every time and I suspect you have a directory or speed dial on your phone to do this?

The most important thing about navigating to any destination on the sat nav, however you plot the destination, is to check that the device is actually taking you to where you think it should! It is possible to key a digit incorrectly, or for the to be published wrongly, so look at the route planned.

bolero boy - 2013-12-22 9:04 AM

No worries, using POI files is not compulsory ;-) its just that this type of file is what drives many of the functions on a sat nav. Extremely useful when, for instance, you want to find the nearest fuel station or LPG supply...or even an ACSI site close to a particular destination. Yes, we have the maps and the books to check out the detail of the site but just prefer not having to,type in the coordinates. It's a bit like having your family or friends numbers in your phone, I wouldn't dream of having to key them in every time and I suspect you have a directory or speed dial on your phone to do this?

LOL yes I suppose i'm 'a bit different' to most other folk.

I actually enjoy 'fiddling' with co-ords! Not only do i key them in manually, i also keep 'hard copy' of some locations in diaries for future reference.

I have speed dialling on my land line phone and use it for friends/family. I have a mobile phone but often forget to take it with me whenever i leave the house. I tried 'upgrading' to one of these Smart Phones (so called) but after one week i got rid as i found i had to keep charging the damn thing every two days which was no use to me (my old Nokia 7250i lasts a full ten days!).

bolero boy - 2013-12-22 9:04 AM

The most important thing about navigating to any destination on the sat nav, however you plot the destination, is to check that the device is actually taking you to where you think it should! It is possible to key a digit incorrectly, or for the to be published wrongly, so look at the route planned.

A 'golden rule i learned when i bought my first SatNav was to never trust it as 100% gospel.....because they aren't. Often on some roads in Poland i've been driving along only to see the cursor arrow suddenly fly off 'telling' me i'm in the middle of a field. Admittedly this usually happens anywhere a new section of road has been let in......but not always!

The oddest experience i had though was this year driving to a suburb of Berlin. On reaching a fork on the main road i was driving, the voice command told me to take the fork to the right (which was wrong), whilst the cursor arrow went to the left fork.....which was correct. Fortunately i had a pretty good idea of where i was going as i'd had a look at the exact avenue i was heading for on Google maps. But this happened on very old road which had been in place for years with a fully updated SatNav!

Archived