Which tracking device to fit?

Charles Chodkowski

In the new year we will be changing our motorhome and Caravanguard are insisting on a tracking device being fitted, they even give a 25% discount for one off their approved list of 30 . It has to be Thatcham CAT 5 or 6 and cannot be a "pay as you go" or any of the DIY ones. Without contacting all the different ones on the list can anyone out there tell me what they have bought, what they paid and what are the on going costs.

Or what insurance companies do not insist on a tracing device when a CAT 1 alarm has been fitted

Happy Christmas everyone.

I've got the same van as you and we don't have to have a tracker fitted. But we are with Safeguard insurance. All we need is a Cat 1 alarm, which is fitted as standard to the van anyway.

Why would you need a tracker when they can't nick it anyway.

Charles,

Why not try ringing round a few other insurance companies or brokers to see if you can find one that doesn't require a tracker, much as Peter has suggested. What you will pay to have one fitted plus 'annual' charge will be a lot more than any savings for having it.

If it's any help we're insured through Adrian Flux and find them good to deal with.

Keith.

Although I do not have one, I kinda agree with the negative comments. If some no gooder really wants to nick your van, then they will do so plus do you really want it back after they may have trashed it. Even if it has been resold?? and you do eventually re- acquire it again I think I would rather the insurance just gave me the money to start again.

Sometimes you have to take a chance in life and hope the crooks decide to take the van next door.

Different companies set different limits on the value of the Motorhome for trackers, Comfort it is 60k, Sureterm 40k, if yon new Le Voyageur is going to be a brand new one unlikely to get away without a tracker.

Autowatch are getting a good reputation we have had an Autowatch alarm fitted for five years without any problems and a lot cheaper than other offerings not head any bad reports about their Trackers.

Just for information, just before a pal of mine was due to sell his 'van to me back in the summer (what's that?), his annual tracker monitoring subscription, with one of the better known companies, ran out. He was in a bit of a hurry as he was off somewhere on business so simply renewed the subscription of just under 200 quid (to ensure proper insurance cover by his insurance whilst he was away) and e-mailed me telling me on his return he would deliver the vehicle to me and all I had to do was change the name on the tracking company's records.

Well, of course, when we came to do that about three weeks later the company said NO! As the new owner I had to pay them for a completely new annual subscription.

Of course the answer was all in the small print etc and we learned our lesson. However, as I had already obtained a quote from my normal insurance company (Comfort) which included the vehicle being fitted with a tracker, I went back to them asking what the premium would be without the tracker. Without digging about amongst all my papers to get the exact figure - it was less than 30 pounds!

I too had heard about gadgets that outsmart tracker signals and so here I sit fully covered having saved about 170 pounds this year..........

The tracker is still fitted and, I understand, can be checked/revitalized (at a nominal cost) at anytime. I will not be doing it but the next owner might want to.

As I said, for information only.

If a van is "uninsurable" simply due to companies insisting on a tracker being fitted it rather begs the question as to why the manufacturers aren't fitting them in the first place. When spending £60k+ on a van a tracker should come as standard fitment.

I had an Autowatch Cat 1 Thatcham fitted to my van which gives me 5 -10% discount. When parked up you just have to remember to 'set' the alarm otherwise the sensors pick up interior movement and the alarm starts wailing and screeching......but then who bothers about vehicle alarms going off? Nobody!

Charles Chodkowski - 2013-12-24 6:05 PM

Just had a quote back from Adrian Flux - £1,361.50 - sounds very reasonable!!!!!!!!! But that is without a tracking device. seems like £270.00 for tracker and £395 lifetime subscription quite reasonable to get policy down to about £550 with Caravanguard.

Happy Chirstmas everyone.

HOLY MOLY!!

Ever thought of just buying another house instead? Cheaper to insure that!

Charles Chodkowski - 2013-12-24 6:05 PM

Just had a quote back from Adrian Flux - £1,361.50 - sounds very reasonable!!!!!!!!! But that is without a tracking device. seems like £270.00 for tracker and £395 lifetime subscription quite reasonable to get policy down to about £550 with Caravanguard.

Happy Chirstmas everyone.

That quote is outrageous. It's about £900 more than mine.

Archived