Mirror Guards for Autocruise panel vans

Rees

It seems that these can be obtained from two suppliers: (1) Mirror Guards, West Buckland, Wellington Near Taunton; cost c.£120 Including postage who claim (on their site on the WWW) to be the original inventors ; and (2) via eBay from Active Design Solutions UK, cost £99 (including postage). Active Solutions state that their Mirror Guards/Protectors are made in their own factory in Bristol.

Has any one used either of these sources?

Are there any other suppliers?

Mirror guards are discussed in these forum threads:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Mirror-Guard/22921/

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-134035-days0-orderasc-0.html

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/44942-mirror-guards-any-comments.html

As Mike88 says, it's near certain that the guards being advertised on e-bay are the same as those being sold via the Mirror Guard website. They are also offered here

http://www.outdoorbits.com/motorhome-mirror-guards-c-156_245_486.html

http://www.spinneyaccessories.co.uk/fiat-wing-mirror-cover.html

If you wanted to confirm whether or not the "Mirror Guard" guards and the £99 e-bay ones are identical, the simplest thing to do would be to ask the advertisers.

I also found these if you like bling:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-CHROME-MIRROR-COVERS-ABS-/281215999646

I for one am not impressed with Mirror Guards. They do not do what they are advertised to do. I have spoken to Paul the guy who is the designer and supplier about my little mishap. We were traveling at about 20 - 25 mph on a fairly narrow A class road, the road is quite steep and the point we were at is following a sharp corner, hence the low speed. We met a van coming the other way so I nudged into the hedge. the leaves and small branches were just brushing the L H mirror, bang, the mirror came back and we noticed the large glass was cracked. I stopped a little up the road and turned around to go and have a look at what we had hit. Well, the only thing we could find was a branch hidden in the leaves of approx 4 - 5 inches in diameter. We continued on our journey to Poole to catch the ferry to France. A month later when we got home I desided to check the mirror out. What did I find ? I pulled the Mirror Guard off and found not only the cracked glass but a cracked mirror casing. So much for the adverting blurb. I have had two lengthy conversations regarding my dissapointment with Paul and a nicely put letter. I have requested replacement of the Mirror Guard as it has a couple of small cracks near the indicator lense. I have not asked for a mirror as I have already replaced it. After the phone conversations I Though he was going to help, that was Three months ago. Not pleased, Dipsie

But surely that proves the point doesn't it?

If the guard itself is only showing a couple of minor cracks it must have absorbed a fair proportion of the impact.

If the impact was enough to swing the mirror in I would imagine that without the additional protection things might have been worse - well that's been my experience anyway.

An observation. If the vehicle is a PVC then, unlike coachbuilts where the mirrors are on extended arms, they are set quite close to the body sides. My suspicon is that striking the mirror head on almost anything may well prove the least of one's problems. Whatever strikes the mirror, will also be very close indeed to the side of the van. I'm therefore somewhat un-convinced of the value of these guards on PVCs, as I think they just may confer a false sense of security. Not a criticism: as I say, just an observation.

Bernard's experience of damage from items hidden in roadside vegetation is not uncommon. Many local authorities are now allowing roadside vegetation to grow right up to, or intrude into, the carriageway width, in lieu of previously accepted practise of keeping it about 600mm back. This both restricts forward view on left hand bends, but also, as Bernard discovered, tends to conceal much sturdier small branches among the innocent looking leafy twigs. Had he been a bit further into the vegetation he may also have had a long crease inserted into this van's bodywork to add to his annoyance!

Many of our A roads, and more especially our B roads, are surprisingly narrow in places, and the tendency for vehicles to have become wider, plus this spread of roadside vegetation, exacerbates the carriageway width problem. Consequently, I will not now "lean on the bushes" in tight gaps under any circumstances. Too much is concealed among those twigs. For example, on the A265, somewhere around Burwash, westbound, on the apex of a left hand kink, what is concealed is a very substantial tree trunk, that carries the scars of many an adventure! In winter it is reasonably visible, but in summer, when the foliage is lush, it is hidden. So, FWIW, don't assume that what looks soft, will be soft. If it isn't, it may do damage to much more than your mirror. ;-)

Must have been quite a whack. We have had ours folded back a few times with no damage at all. I rather suspect that being on the shorter arms of a panel van mirror reduces the leverage and make them hater to knock back. Also worth looking to see what the glass can potentially hit if knocked back. If as you say you hit a branch 4 or 5 inches in diameter that is a very substantial object to hit with no give in it. The fact that you describe the mirror coming back with a bang suggests the impact may have been considerable.

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-04 12:09 PM

An observation. If the vehicle is a PVC then, unlike coachbuilts where the mirrors are on extended arms, they are set quite close to the body sides. My suspicon is that striking the mirror head on almost anything may well prove the least of one's problems. Whatever strikes the mirror, will also be very close indeed to the side of the van. I'm therefore somewhat un-convinced of the value of these guards on PVCs, as I think they just may confer a false sense of security. Not a criticism: as I say, just an observation.

Whacked ours on a Disco going down Frinton high street, as luck would have it no damage was caused, and that was an unprotected mirror.

I have had a pair for a couple years and they have survived several heavy wallops including a pigeon, CC barrier and my head. (Don't ask and it hurt like @ell"

I would say that they do what they say on the box (if there was writing on it ) . They optically widen the width of the vehicle so oncoming vans, lorries tend to give move over to get clearance.

If you do get mirror to mirror contact at speed, they probably absorb some impact, you are lucky if they absorb the impact and there is no damage and could be a lot worse if the impact was on the original mirror.

Would I buy a pair again ? yes.

Are they a complete answer to mirror meeting mayhem ? probably not,

but somewhere in the middle , maybe !

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2014-01-04 5:38 PM

I have had a pair for a couple years and they have survived several heavy wallops including a pigeon, CC barrier and my head. (Don't ask and it hurt like @ell"

I would say that they do what they say on the box (if there was writing on it ) . They optically widen the width of the vehicle so oncoming vans, lorries tend to give move over to get clearance.

If you do get mirror to mirror contact at speed, they probably absorb some impact, you are lucky if they absorb the impact and there is no damage and could be a lot worse if the impact was on the original mirror.

Would I buy a pair again ? yes.

Are they a complete answer to mirror meeting mayhem ? probably not,

but somewhere in the middle , maybe !

Rgds

A head guard would have prevented this and saved you the pain.

Rees - 2014-01-03 9:31 PM

Interesting. Any more experiences from others??

Yes,

On the A 3078 heading towards St Mawes in Cornwall, heading uphill, so going slowly, Open backed Council lorry going 'hell for leather' downhill at me, I pull over as far over to the left as possible and stop, Council lorry comes straight down the Hill, neither slowing or moving over to 'His' side of the road, Cabs pass each other, I breath out again, then BANG, something IN the back of the lorry hits the drivers side mirror and whacks it back against the Cab, (luckily I didn't have time to put my arm out to 'fold the mirror back' by hand, as i often do in these type of situations, otherwise he would have taken my arm off !!)

Result : the 'Mirrorguard' absorbed the impact, so, No broken mirror guard, glass or casing (as far as i can tell), BUT, the impact made a '22 bullet shaped hole' in the indicator lens, I managed to get a replacement on E-bay for £15, but then found that the bulb holder was the wrong size, and had to ' Botch' it to fit,

This I did, and it works and looks fine.

Think that the Mirrorguards saved me having to buy a complete new mirror, BUT they are not 'Indestructable' . The Foam pads that absorb the impact obviously trasmit 'some' of the impact on to the mirror casing, BUT not ALL of it. And that in my opinion, makes them 'Worthwhile'. Ray

Thanks Rayjsj for that account of your experiences.

Very useful report. I have now discovered (through sending an email to the Bristol person) that he is an independent maker of mirror guards and is cheaper (£99 for a set) then the Wellington near Taunton advertiser.

The Bristol maker (activedesignsolutions) has an advertisement in the January 2014 issue, p. 61, of the Motor Caravan Club Magazine. He calls his things 'Mirror Protectors', tel: 0117 9677920.

• 1 month later...

Hi

We produce Mirror Protectors in our factory in Kingswood Bristol

We are nothing to do with the Mirror Guard of Wellington Somerset

Our Mirror Protectors are made from Acrylic capped ABS plastic which is very tough

When fitted they will protect the base mirror from most bumps and bangs

We sell our Mirror Protectors on Ebay as Warnes group companies refuse to let us advertise in the MMM magazine as Mirror Guard say we are infringing their Patent

As they will not inform us or anybody of their patent number we will go on producing Mirror Protectors

Regards

Barry Robbins

Director

Active Design Solutions Ltd

Hi

We produce Mirror Protectors in our factory in Kingswood Bristol

We are nothing to do with the Mirror Guard of Wellington Somerset

Our Mirror Protectors are made from Acrylic capped ABS plastic which is very tough

When fitted they will protect the base mirror from most bumps and bangs

We sell our Mirror Protectors on Ebay as Warnes group companies refuse to let us advertise in the MMM magazine as Mirror Guard say we are infringing their Patent

As they will not inform us or anybody of their patent number we will go on producing Mirror Protectors

Regards

Barry Robbins

Director

Active Design Solutions Ltd

Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-27 2:35 PM

I also found these if you like bling:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATO-BOXER-RELAY-2007-ON-CHROME-MIRROR-COVERS-/191022847729?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ADucato&hash=item2c79d956f1

These 'Bling' ones are only £65 or so a pair, but evidently don't fit the 'long armed' campervan mirrors.

Worth a look, as almost half the price of the 'Mirrorguards' . Ray

Archived