Tank heaters

chipy210

Thats got to depend on how/when you use van and where the tanks are. If you are only expecting to use the van when there might be the odd frosty night, it's very unlikely you'll need tank heaters. If you intend using it in severe weather and have underslung tanks then they will be a good idea.

If you do have them fitted then they will only be usable if you are on an EHU as your leisure battery will not be able to provide enough power to sustain them for any length of time.

Simple answer is to try without and if bad weather is forecast then empty your tanks and use smaller fresh water containers inside the MH for washing, tea making, etc and leave the waste tank drain open with a bucket underneath to catch waste water so it does not freeze in the tank.

Far simpler and cheaper and works whether on EHU or not!

Keith.

PS And welcome to the forum.

Edit I assume when you say 'rally' you mean without EHU so my comments are even more applicable.

It's worth checking with Elddis for costs & what's involved if retrofitting -if anything like Swift the difference between "factory" fit v "retro" fit is horrendous, as it involves a change of Control Panel (or it did, they may have changed on current models)

chipy210

Two types of 12V electric heater can be used for motorhome water tanks - the 'probe' type or the 'pad' type.

Examples of 'probe' de-frost elements (and tank insulating wrapping) are shown at the top of Page 20 of this extract from the CAK catalogue.

http://www.caktanks.com/files/cak_catalogue_2012/2012_CAK_Water%20Tanks.pdf

The 'pad' type of tank heater is described on this website that also has useful general advice on motorhome winterisation.

http://www.tankblanket.co.uk/

It's not that uncommon for a European-built motorhome to have probe-type heating for an external waste-water tank (my own Hobby has this). As Keith has warned, tank heaters will make a significant demand on a 12V power supply and, in my Hobby's case, tank heating can only be used when the motorhome is being driven or on 230V hook-up when (in both instances) the leisure-battery is receiving charge. But any motorhome that has been factory-fitted with heating for an external waste-water tank is unlikely to have an external fresh-water tank.

Boxing-in the tanks, or wrapping them with insulating material, should help to reduce heat loss and would definitely be worth doing if you chose to install tank heaters. However, the simple truth is that a motorhome built with uninsulated external water tanks will not have been designed for use in arctic conditions and trying to make it frost-immune may well prove impracticable.

I believe it would be better to accept the cold-weather limitations of an Elddis Aspire and (as Keith suggests) when there's a strong likelihood that the weather will be very cold, to take steps to side-step potential tank-freezing problems.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-29 8:52 AM

But any motorhome that has been factory-fitted with heating for an external waste-water tank is unlikely to have an external fresh-water tank.

The current (2014) Auto-Sleeper range of Peugeot PVCs have this arrangement. The Warwick Duo for example has external waste and fresh tanks and both are insulated and heated using Tank Blanket pads.

spospe - 2013-12-29 12:53 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-29 8:52 AM

But any motorhome that has been factory-fitted with heating for an external waste-water tank is unlikely to have an external fresh-water tank.

The current (2014) Auto-Sleeper range of Peugeot PVCs have this arrangement. The Warwick Duo for example has external waste and fresh tanks and both are insulated and heated using Tank Blanket pads.

I'd forgotten about that - it was mentioned in MMM December 2013 (Page 182).

Do you know how much 12V power Tank Blankets take as I can't find any data about this?

The installation instructions specify a 15A fuse and there's advice that an EHU should be used to maintain the charge-state of the leisure-battery, but there doesn't seem to be any information on the pads' amperage. A USA advert for this type of tank-heater quotes 5A to 11A depending on the size of the pad, so 10A for the two fitted to the Auto-Sleepers PVCs would seem a fair guess.

Here is the Tank Blanket website...

http://www.tankblanket.co.uk/

and according to their spec sheet, the smaller one uses 4.0A ...

http://www.tankblanket.co.uk/information/product-specifications/tankblanket/

they automatically switch on at 7 degrees and switch off at 18 degrees. So unless on hook-up you are going to use a lot of power from your battery.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-29 5:30 PM

Do you know how much 12V power Tank Blankets take as I can't find any data about this?

The Tank Blanket website at: www.tankblanket.co.uk quotes 60 watt for the large size and 54 watt for the smaller version of the heater pads. I have not yet had the opportunity to check this for myself as we do not get our new van until the end of February.

spospe - 2013-12-29 7:01 PM

The Tank Blanket website at: http://www.tankblanket.co.uk

quotes 60 watt for the large size and 54 watt for the smaller version of the heater pads. I have not yet had the opportunity to check this for myself as we do not get our new van until the end of February.

The Tank Blanket website at: http://www.tankblanket.co.uk

quotes 60 watt for the large size and 54 watt for the smaller version of the heater pads. I have not yet had the opportunity to check this for myself as we do not get our new van until the end of February.

EDIT: something really strange has happened here, as I attempted to edit my post in order to make the Tank Blanket link 'clickable' and I seem to have ended up with three posts!!

Thanks for the reference to the Product Specifications part of the Tank Blanket website, I can't understand how I overlooked that.

As Auto-Sleepers PVCs' tank capacities are relatively small I expect the TankBlanket 90 will have been fitted. 54W (4.5A) is not a huge 12V drain - no more than a headlamp bulb's - so it should be practicable to have both tank heaters operating while the motorhome is being driven.

Our Swift has a unheated under slung waste tank. A couple of winters ago staying in the Howgill Fells the campsite shower block froze so we had to use the van shower. The waste tank did not quite freeze. It was just the tap/outlet that froze. I now put a padded Jiffy bag over the outlet and I reckon we are good to -5 degree C.

Archived