News about new licences

Billggski

Keithl - 2014-01-01 3:43 PM

Sorry Bill but I don't understand!

"Published on 02/08/2012"

"EU Member states are required to implement the provisions of the amendment before 31 December 2013"

So in my books it never happened, right? or wrong?

Keith.

The EU proposals were taken to consultation in the UK, and the outcome (a propos the bit in question) was broadly "no changes proposed".

There is, as usual in these matters, a plethora of official information available on the web, but the following is probably the most easily assimilated and explicit write-up.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/249882/motorcycle-lorry-and-bus-driving-licences-and-driving-test-rules-response-to-consultation.pdf

(you will note if you read it that motorhomes are specifically mentioned, and that the door might in this case have been left slightly ajar for minor future change).

Talking about driving licences.................

I have tentatively suggested to my wife that she might want to exchange her existing paper driving licence for a new photo one. I explained that as we were now members of the EU that in the interests of harmony we should have licences recognisable by all the member States. Plus producing a very old piece of paper to the Guardia Civil or Gendarmerie may not be the best way forward.

That produced a response along the lines of ‘B......t. My licence is fully valid and was issued by HMG in 1976, that should be enough to satisfy any foreigner.’

She then told me witheringly that I was asking her to exchange her paper licence valid until she was 75 for one that expires when she is 70, and pay £20 for the priviledge. Weakly, I answered ‘yes’.

Plus she said, and this was the kicker ‘you tell me they will use my passport photograph and I hate that one. My hair looks awful.’

Yes, I weakly replied again, however I did explain that she can submit another photo but it should be in a similar vein, which may not show her to what she feels is her best side.

What do I do? I have visions of her being carted off in handcuffs shouting ‘Don’t you know I am British, send for a gunboat?’

Dave225 - 2014-01-01 4:28 PM

...She then told me witheringly that I was asking her to exchange her paper licence valid until she was 75 for one that expires when she is 70, and pay £20 for the privilege...

Your wife may wish to check the "Valid until" date on her paper driving licence as Age 70 is the expiry date not Age 75.

http://www.roadwise.co.uk/older-drivers/renewing-your-licence

We have just moved home and needed to change the address on our driving licences which are also due for renewal in April 2014 .  As our Passports were renewed less than five years ago the change and renewal was done online with our updated photo's and signature taken from our recently issued Passports which saved us the hassle of obtaining more photo's and posting off a load of forms . 

lennyhb - 2014-01-01 5:25 PM

I also think that if it not a Pink EU licence it will not be recognised in other EU countries, not sure about the Pink/Green ones.

Provided that the name and address details are correct on it, a UK pink/green 'EU model' paper driving-licence is still legal and valid throughout the EU.

If I remember correctly, the pink/green licence replaced an all-green version and I believe the latter type is still valid in the UK but (as it does not conform to the agreed EU document model) is not valid outside the UK.

Keithl - 2014-01-01 8:03 PM

If you do not have a UK photocard driving license you can, usually, supplement your old style paper licence with an 'IDP' and all should then be OK. Have a look at the AA website here... Link.

Keith.

The AA website also provides a list of IDP requirements by country.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

It would seem from the AA list that I was wrong in my posting of 1 January 2014 6:39 PM and that ANY 'paper' driving-licence (whatever its colour) that is valid in the UK CAN be valid outside the UK.

It's worth saying perhaps that, if a country has no IDP requirement (eg. Belgium, France, Germany), there's little point in buying an IDP if that's where you'll be driving and you have a UK paper licence.

Countries to watch out for would be those where the "F" Important Note applies (eg. Italy, Portugal, Spain) where all UK paper licences SHOULD be accepted, but 'non-EC-model' paper licences may not.

Forum members will be aware that, in 1998, a 2-part UK driving licence was introduced, comprising a plastic photocard and a paper counterpart. This continues to be the case, though the latest photocard format has recently been revised.

https://www.gov.uk/changes-to-the-driving-licence-and-categories

bolero boy - 2014-01-02 9:46 AM

This suggests that the green-only license should be accepted without a problem in pretty well everywhere we would be looking to drive, with the possible exctipn of Switzerland for obvious reasons.

http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/your-driving-licence-valid-abroad.html

It would appear (based on several on-line sources) that a UK 'paper' driving licence is valid in Switzerland but, if a check is made, there will be a need to confirm the licence details via an acceptable identification document that carries a photo (eg. a passport). The Swiss requirements are summarised here:

"When driving in Switzerland, you will need to ensure you bring both parts of your driving licence - the Photocard plus the Paper Counterpart (D740). If you do not have a Photocard yet, only the paper copy is required, but you will need Photo ID, such as a Passport

You must be the holder of a full driving licence (not a provisional), and have passed your test. Even if you have already passed your full test, you must be at least 18 years old.

The International Driving Permit is not required, but if you would like one you can apply through the Post Office. The international driving permit is in addition to your driving licence, so you will need to carry both copies.

While a photocopy may be useful if your licence is lost, you should carry the original with you."

The list of "happily accept" countries listed in the About Driving Abroad link you provided does not include Switzerland, but some of the countries mentioned on that webpage (eg. Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy) have caveats in the AA's IDP country-list regarding UK non-photocard licences or UK non-EC-model (green-only) paper licences.

Just curious,slightly OT but while folk are talking licences, if/when you have your address changed on a photo licence, does the "expiry date" stay the same..or does that "re-set"(to 10 years?)at the same time?..

It's just that my license is due for renewal towards the end of the year..and there is a small chance that we may move house before then and I just wondered a change of address would also deal with the "renewal"?..

..I know I'd find out if/when it happened..but as I say, just curious ;-)

my paper license expires in October when I am 70, but my photo part expires in june. I will have to renew my photo part in June BUT can I renew my licence for the 3 yrs from 70 at the same time.

Or do I have to renew the photo part first then re-apply for the 70+ extension as presumably the june renewed photo part will still show an end date of October i.e. 4 months from June.

If no one can help I guess a call to DVLA (anyone have phone numbers) wil have to be made. Just thought the forum would provide the " yes it happened to me and this is how I resolved it"

Thanks Mike

pepe63 - 2014-01-02 10:54 AMJust curious,slightly OT but while folk are talking licences, if/when you have your address changed on a photo licence, does the "expiry date" stay the same..or does that "re-set"(to 10 years?)at the same time?..It's just that my license is due for renewal towards the end of the year..and there is a small chance that we may move house before then and I just wondered a change of address would also deal with the "renewal"?....I know I'd find out if/when it happened..but as I say, just curious ;-)

From my earlier post.

We have just moved home and needed to change the address on our driving licences which are also due for renewal in April 2014 .  As our Passports were renewed less than five years ago the change and renewal was done online with our updated photo's and signature taken from our recently issued Passports which saved us the hassle of obtaining more photo's and posting off a load of forms . 
-----

kelly58 - 2014-01-02 1:23 PMFrom my earlier post.

We have just moved home and needed to change the address on our driving licences which are also due for renewal in April 2014 .  As our Passports were renewed less than five years ago the change and renewal was done online with our updated photo's and signature taken from our recently issued Passports which saved us the hassle of obtaining more photo's and posting off a load of forms..

Thanks Kelly. :-D So even if it's had a recent(ish) address change, it still requires "renewing" then, ;-)(..I suppose it's obvious really, as it's the photo as much as anything that they need to update). Fortunately my passport just about squeezes within the 5 years(...enabling any renewal to be carried out online)...Thanks. ;-)

mike 202 - 2014-01-02 1:08 PM

my paper license expires in October when I am 70, but my photo part expires in june. I will have to renew my photo part in June BUT can I renew my licence for the 3 yrs from 70 at the same time.

Or do I have to renew the photo part first then re-apply for the 70+ extension as presumably the june renewed photo part will still show an end date of October i.e. 4 months from June.

If no one can help I guess a call to DVLA (anyone have phone numbers) wil have to be made. Just thought the forum would provide the " yes it happened to me and this is how I resolved it"

Thanks Mike

I think it's going to be a 2-stage process - renew the photocard in June and then go thorough the 'Age 70' procedure later.

If your photocard expiry date were within 90 days of your 70th birthday, you might be able to sidestep the photocard renewal phase.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

The potential snag is that the licence-categories can change by default at 70 (many motorcaravanners have a 'grandfather entitlement' to the C1 (up to 7500kg) category that will automatically cease at age 70 unless a medical examination is passed). Although only a 4-month interval is involved in your case, for someone else it could be a good deal longer when the data on the 'up-to-70' licence will differ from the data that will go on the '70 onwards' licence.

DVLA phone numbers are here

http://www.uk-helplines.co.uk/2.html

but you might be better to e-mail them.

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/driver_1_4.html

JamesFrance - 2014-01-02 9:22 PM

As usual France takes all EU regulations lightly. The French government has decided that we will have until 19th January 2033 to exchange our French licences for the EU type. I don't expect to still be driving then as I will be 95.

Information on the new European driving licence is here:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-10_en.htm

The introduction date was 19 January 2013, with a date set 20 years from then when all EU driving licences must conform to the revised format.

The statement is made that "Drivers with licences issued before the entry into force of this Directive will be subject to the new rules on validity at the latest by 19 January 2033." This doesn't compel UK drivers to change their existing licences for new-format licences before the 2033 date, but many UK drivers with 'old-format' licences will obtain new-format ones before then when personal details (eg. name or address) or entitlement categories change, or they reach 70.

The major difference between France and the UK is not how the 19 January 2033 date will be applied to each country, but that UK driving licences have an age-70 limit, while French licences are issued for life.

Presumably France will issue new-format licences to new drivers between now and 2033 and, if a French licence needs to be replaced, the replacement will be new-format?

Archived