Dometic fridge temperature control dial

Pipkim

We have a Dometic RM7295L AES fridge in our 2006 Knaus Sun Ti 650ME motorhome.

A while ago the Temperature Setting rotary knob stopped working but, fortunately, it was set to “maximum” so we weren’t too concerned.

Further investigation seemed to show that the small plastic shaft that connects the dial to the electrical component behind it has sheared off.

I have obtained the replacement shaft and now need to fit it.

BUT it seems that the fridge will have to be pulled forward from under the kitchen worktop to allow access to the control panel.

My question is whether this is a straight forward operation or does it involve the disconnection of the electric & gas supplies and are the vents an issue in this operation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Philip,

I replaced that same shaft on our AT a couple of years ago without having to remove the fridge.

If you pull off both knobs you will find screws hidden behind, remove them then wriggle the front panel out. Next you can unscrew the control panel/board and move it far enough forwards to replace the shaft. It is fairly tricky but certainly not impossible.

The worst part for me was getting the broken part of the old shaft out of the rheostat, I ended up drilling a very small hole in it and screwing in a small self tapper which I could then grip with pliers and pull out.

HTH.

Keith.

Take the vents off and have a look how it's been installed, if you are lucky they may have put a small coil in the gas pipe to allow the fridge to be pulled forward if not should be easy to disconnect. The electrics will normally connect to a terminal block accessible from the rear. Manufacturers tend not to give any clearance around the fridge and they can be a right b***er to pull out.

Knaus 650 MF AES Fridge

Did this on you tube after had problems with my fridge, the fridge on the video is not in the van so its not arkward to get at the mains cable clamp. In situ there is not a lot of slack in the cable loom to get at the screws but is manageable.

Brian

Archived