Truma regulator

K9GYN

Have got a Secumotion regulator currently fitted which is faulty I understand it is a common problem with this type and I need to change it However I am having problems establishing the outlet diameter I think it is a steel pipe but am unsure if the covering is paint or plastic Its a Hobby T500FSC van can anyone assist me I don't really want to remove the existing regulator until I have the replacement

thanks in advance

K9GYN - 2014-01-07 12:03 PM

Have got a Secumotion regulator currently fitted which is faulty I understand it is a common problem with this type and I need to change it However I am having problems establishing the outlet diameter I think it is a steel pipe but am unsure if the covering is paint or plastic Its a Hobby T500FSC van can anyone assist me I don't really want to remove the existing regulator until I have the replacement

thanks in advance

The Secumotion regulator could be fitted to either 8mm or 10mm pipe, and I believe the only difference was the screw fitting applied to the output side (the same regulator body being used for both).

I've just had a look on my Hobby, and this screw fitting does not appear to be marked with size.

A quick hand-measure leads me to believe that it is 10mm o/d pipe, but I'd rather use a more accurate measure before I gave you an opinion to rely on!

Robinhood - 2014-01-07 12:22 PM

K9GYN - 2014-01-07 12:03 PM

thanks in advance

The Secumotion regulator could be fitted to either 8mm or 10mm pipe, and I believe the only difference was the screw fitting applied to the output side (the same regulator body being used for both).

I've just had a look on my Hobby, and this screw fitting does not appear to be marked with size.

A quick hand-measure leads me to believe that it is 10mm o/d pipe, but I'd rather use a more accurate measure before I gave you an opinion to rely on!

Take an 8mm and a 10mm open ended spanner and see which fits!

Keith.

....I was going to take my adjustable spanner out and effectively use it as a micrometer - unfortunately it is accessible only via the hatch which is currently parked against the hedge :-S ;-)

I've just retrieved an 8mm brake spanner which I need for the central heating (don't ask!) and that won't go round it.

So, for my Hobby Secumotion installation, it definitely looks like 10mm o/d. (YMMV)

BTW, if the OP is considering replacing like-for-like (which is probably not the plan) then the Secumotion regulator comes in different and specific flow rates which MUST be matched to the potential demand of the installation.

K9GYN

The 3 Secumotion regulators with 10mm-outlet are listed here

http://www.thetrumacentre.co.uk/magento/truma/tma/truma-products/secumotion.html?mode=grid

For a Hobby T-500FSC it's probable that the 52300-05 (1.5kg/hour maximum flow-rate) regulator would be appropriate. You should find the flow-rate marked on your current regulator's yellow label.

If you are planning to replace your failed regulator with another Secumotion one on a like-for-like basis, you'll need to confirm that the replacement being offered is an identical version as there have been design changes. Otherwise you might need to modify the gas pipework to accommodate the replacement. Similarly, if you plan to use a different regulator (eg. a Clesse regulator rather than a Truma/GOK one) it's quite likely modifications will be necessary to get the regulator and pipework to marry up. Also worth mentioning, perhaps, that replacing a Truma 'safety' regulator with a 'non-safety' type would compromise the pan-EU legality of operating the gas heater while the motorhome is being driven.

You are probably right about the gas pipework being steel. I think my 2005 Hobby's is black-coated stainless steel - whatever the material it's bleeding hard!

Keithl - 2014-01-07 12:48 PM

Keith.

Neither of those'll fit anyway...an 8mm spanner fits M5 nuts and a 10mm will fit M6 .. ;-)

I would've thought a compression fitting nut, on something like a 10mm pipe, would be up around the 17mm mark...?

Couldn't the OP just take the fittings fro out of the existing reg'..?

pepe63 - 2014-01-07 3:52 PM

Keithl - 2014-01-07 12:48 PM

Keith.

Neither of those'll fit anyway...an 8mm spanner fits M5 nuts and a 10mm will fit M6 .. ;-)

I would've thought a compression fitting nut, on something like a 10mm pipe, would be up around the 17mm mark...?

Couldn't the OP just take the fittings fro out of the existing reg'..?

......I think the suggestion was to use the spanner to gauge the pipe, rather than undo the nut. ;-)

(that's what I did, anyway, and the 8mm wasn't big enough)

K9GYN - 2014-01-07 5:37 PM

Folks I have put gauge on pipe and its 10mm BUT I'm unsure if the covering is plastic or paint I suspect paint any offers?

Phil

Don't worry about the covering, you need a 10mm connection.

If you get the same make of regulator you won't need to remove the nut and olive and can just change the regulator.

Keith.

K9GYN

Your Hobby's gas-pipework has a protective 'finish' and applying it may have involved anodising. (It's potentially misleading to refer to it as "paint".)

As far as replacing your regulator is concerned, the important thing would be to know whether you might need to remove the 'finish' from the pipework - if, for example, you needed to replace the olive in the compression-fitting or needed to modify the pipework.

You would need to remove the 'finish' if it were a a plastic 'sleeve', but it isn't. It doesn't increase the diameter of the pipework appreciably and you don't have to remove the finish if you need to fit an olive.

As Keith says, just ignore the 'finish'.

Archived