Electric underfloor heating......

Guest pelmetman

Guest JudgeMental
I had the ALDE wet water underfloor heating system in a camper and it was very nice....particularity in a during the night toilet visit.....You would have to be on 230 V for electric I would think...

Guest pelmetman
It seems like a ideal solution when on EHU, as not having a double floor, even though the van it self is cosy the floor is cold :-|................

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-01-17 4:43 PM

thick socks and slippers a hell of a lot cheaper...and I know what your like re spending shekels :-D

True enough Eddie...............but balanced against EHU which is inclusive of pitch fee :D.........so the layout of £150 might not be so extravagant ;-)........

Can someone explain the 'wet' bit please.

I considered under floor heating in a house - also storage heaters - but there's a lot of stored energy wasted if the outside temperature rises.

I assume a M/H would have the same storage and loss problem ?

Will85 - 2014-01-17 5:20 PM

I considered under floor heating in a house - also storage heaters - but there's a lot of stored energy wasted if the outside temperature rises.

As far as I know these are the most common types of underfloor heating:

1. a 'dry' system which consists of electric heat cables spread in parallel lengths buried within the floors

2. a 'dry' matting type with small electric cables embedded in rows into 'mats' which can then be placed on top of floors underneath a covering/carpet (a bit like gigantic heat pads)

3. a 'wet' system which works a bit like a standard central heating system but instead of running the water to radiators it goes to flexible piping laid within the floors instead.

Retrofitting underfloor heating systems of the types in 1. and 3. above to most homes is very expensive as it means digging up and re-laying floors in order to lay the piping! You do have to consider what flooring base you have and what type of floor covering you are going to lay over any of these types of heating options too.

If I was having to replace all the floors in an existing house, or having a new house built/an extension added, then that's really the only time I'd seriously consider having it done as the outlay otherwise just doesn't make it anything like cost effective.

In a motorhome, however, the matting type might work and not be too expensive.

pelmetman - 2014-01-17 4:15 PM

Anyone done it to their camper?......

http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/devi-underfloor-heating-mat-10m2-100w-per-meter-3681-p.asp

Just thinking it might be a way to ensure warm tootsies ;-)..............

Dave, I've just had a look at the installation info and you have to cover the matting with either screed or adhesive etc ... would you REALLY want to do this to Horace!!! 8-) It could totally b*gger up what little you have left of your payload! (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2014-01-18 12:11 AM

http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/devi-underfloor-heating-mat-10m2-100w-per-meter-3681-p.asp

Dave, I've just had a look at the installation info and you have to cover the matting with either screed or adhesive etc ... would you REALLY want to do this to Horace!!! 8-) It could totally b*gger up what little you have left of your payload! (lol)

Its only 3mm thick Mel, so with the screed on top plus a vinyl covering then a removable carpet, I expect it to be of a similar depth to our original existing foam backed fitted carpet..........which is due for replacement ;-)

In the 1990s a 230V heated 'carpet runner' was marketed for a while in the UK for use in motorhomes/caravans. If I remember correctly there was only one width/length size which would have limited its appeal.

This website advertises an under-carpet heating product that might be suitable for motorhome applications.

http://www.allbriteunderfloorheating.co.uk/under-carpet-heating?gclid=CKmgo5Svh7wCFSgUwwodb38ARg

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-18 9:15 AM

In the 1990s a 230V heated 'carpet runner' was marketed for a while in the UK for use in motorhomes/caravans. If I remember correctly there was only one width/length size which would have limited its appeal.

This website advertises an under-carpet heating product that might be suitable for motorhome applications.

http://www.allbriteunderfloorheating.co.uk/under-carpet-heating?gclid=CKmgo5Svh7wCFSgUwwodb38ARg

Thanks for the link Derek, I am aware that these mats cannot be cut so need to buy two mats, which is why the people I found seem to be suitable as they sell by the metre ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2014-01-17 5:20 PM

All revealed in this ALDE pdf brochure..just read through and it explains all. :-D

http://www.alde.co.uk/downloads/alde_brochure_motorhome.pdf

pelmetman - 2014-01-18 9:26 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-18 9:15 AM

Thanks for the link Derek, I am aware that these mats cannot be cut so need to buy two mats, which is why the people I found seem to be suitable as they sell by the metre ;-)

Dave, of the 2 types of electric heating matting, the one you linked to consists of 'round' wire, hence the need to bury it in the floor itself, whereas the one Derek's found is actually 'flat ribbon' type wire so does NOT need to be buried, of the two I think I'd find a way of using the flat ones rather than have all the hassle of laying a screed of some sort to bury the rounds wire one in, and I'd also be wary of whether the screen would crack etc over time due to the movement of the floor whilst travelling etc and thereby cause damage to the buried wires ... now that WOULD be a problem to try to fix! :-S

• 3 weeks later...
I just received from amazon a heated mat,its 50cm by 70cm and uses 65watts,reason we bought it is because although the woodburner keeps us nice and warm my feet are freezing! Because the burner pulls in air across the floor.The mat is very good,warms up quickly and warms the feet nicely,but the dogs discovered it was warm almost instantly,how do they do that,and its a fight to use it! Cost £40 though

His floor is already concrete Mel, as the original rotted away years ago. :D

peter - 2014-02-04 4:05 PM

His floor is already concrete Mel, as the original rotted away years ago. :D

I thought he meant for the garage floor to keep the camper warm, Oh well you can't be right all the time (lol)

Archived