old paper license

rawhide

12 m is the max length but you can't register one longer than that anyway. (lol)

Edit:

Just saw your other post, you will need to update your licence if you want to travel over channel Green licences only valid in the UK unless you get an International Driving Permit each time you go.

I recently swapped my old green paper licence for a 2 part plastic and paper one.

Both the French and Spanish police have accepted it without question. I didn't have an international licence either.

Maybe I was lucky?

No matter I am fully up to date now :-)

H

lennyhb - 2014-01-30 4:44 PM

12 m is the max length but you can't register one longer than that anyway. (lol)

Edit:

Just saw your other post, you will need to update your licence if you want to travel over channel Green licences only valid in the UK unless you get an International Driving Permit each time you go.

Since when??? Old licences are still valid in Europe as they are valid in the UK. I agree the local 'Plods' may object but there is nothing illegal about them. My wife is finally accepting that she will have to swop her tattered paper one for a new plastic thing with a (to her unacceptable) photograph, but in the interests of harmony etc etc.

Dave225 - 2014-01-30 5:18 PM

lennyhb - 2014-01-30 4:44 PM

Edit:

Since when??? Old licences are still valid in Europe as they are valid in the UK. I agree the local 'Plods' may object but there is nothing illegal about them. My wife is finally accepting that she will have to swop her tattered paper one for a new plastic thing with a (to her unacceptable) photograph, but in the interests of harmony etc etc.

Green & Pink and the Pink paper licences with EU on them are valid in Europe the very old Green one isn't.

Hi to all replies and thanks, so if i change my paper license to new type, will i still be able to drive heavier vehicles than the modern license allows, my license is from 1973, ps , i think someone is getting fed up with me, is anybody there *-)

The original green licence as never fully acceptable EU wide when first issued I still remember having to get an Italian translation 30+ years ago, AFAIK all subsequent licences are legal EU wide. Would any foreign police officer know if your licence was legal?

rawhide - 2014-01-30 7:50 PM

Hi to all replies and thanks, so if i change my paper license to new type, will i still be able to drive heavier vehicles than the modern license allows, my license is from 1973, ps , i think someone is getting fed up with me, is anybody there *-)

The validity of UK 'paper' driving licences outside the UK was discussed at some length in this earlier forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/News-about-new-licences/33587/

If you have an all-green UK paper licence, it would probably be a good idea to swap it for a current photocard version if you plan to drive outside the UK. If you have the later-model pink-and-green paper licence (which may well be the case if it's 1973 vintage) there is less incentive to swap it.

If you do decide to swap your paper driving licence for a photocard, this should have no effect on your driving entitlements. Whatever vehicles your present paper licence shows you are entitled to drive (eg. vehicles up to 7500kg in weight), those entitlements should be transferred to the replacement licence.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence

For anyone exchanging or renewing a licence, I would remind them that the DVLA are still 'losing' entitlements, photo copy your original before sending it off, it's strange, a lot of people seem to lose their licence just before renewing and have to apply for replacement, if it comes back with missing groups these same people usually manage to find the lost licence after a more thorough search ;-)

It's often not necessary nowadays to send away one's existing driving-licence when applying for renewal of a photocard licence or exchange of a paper licence for a photocard one.

The DVLA's Form D1

http://www.mojawyspa.co.uk/download/dokumenty/drivinglicence.pdf

suggests that a current driving licence only needs to be sent to the DVLA when applying for a replacement (due to change of name/address).

I'm not doubting for a moment that the DVLA can 'lose' entitlements and, if there is a requirement to send an existing licence to the DVLA, it makes excellent sense to take a photocopy of the original before sending it.

When my wife needed to renew her (paper) driving licence at age 70, it proved necessary to contact the DVLA as, after a few weeks had been allowed to pass, no replacement licence appeared. The DVLA's records (apparently) showed that a new licence had been issued not long after my wife had applied and the chap she spoke to at the DVLA said he would arrange for a duplicate to be sent. This arrived a couple of days later.

I still have a paper licence and, when I reach 70 (I'm just a youthful toy-boy) I'm not concerned with losing my 'up-tp-7500kg' entitlement. But I shall want to keep my motorbike entitlement even though it's unlikely I'll ever need it.

The topic of Paper licence/Plastic card always causes much fuss, debate and differences of opinion. Where else but good ol' blighty could we end up with such a batty set of 'rules/regs' which naturally as 'brits' we have a peculiar obsession with.

Like a fool i fell for the "get your new plastic card licence for free" con when they were first introduced. I'd been suckered in as from then on i had to pay £20 to renew after ten years (another shambles too which finds many people unwittingly driving with an invalid licence.....but that's another story).

Thinking i'd got rid of the 'old' paper licence, back came my plastic card plus paper Counterpart which has to be kept at all times. Lose the counterpart and DVLA charge you for a re-issue. So effectively instead of having one licence, you now end up with two!

Whenever i tour i always used to take the paper counterpart with me but found it simply bamboozled Police or Border control officers. Who can blame them either?!! Most don't know what it is anyway, so now i just take my plastic card which is instantly recognised, understood and gets me waved through on my journey without any stupid hassle.

It will be very evident from the following Wikipedia entry that there are significant variations in how different countries deal with driving licences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_license

I see no reason why the UK's current system of a 'Euro-standard' plastic card plus a paper counterpart should be considered bizarre. Nor - as having a driving licence is not a God-given right - why administration charges should not be part of the issuing/renewal system.

Licence endorsements are recorded on the paper counterpart but, as there is no legal requirement for drivers to carry driving-licence documentation while driving in the UK, such information will only become available to the UK police if it is demanded that a driver present his/her licence at a police-station.

Personally, I'd rather have visual evidence of my endorsements (or lack of endorsements) on a paper part of my driving-licence that I'm in charge of, than rely on the accuracy of endorsement-related data held on a remote computer that I've no access to.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-31 2:23 PM

I still have a paper licence and, when I reach 70 (I'm just a youthful toy-boy) I'm not concerned with losing my 'up-tp-7500kg' entitlement. But I shall want to keep my motorbike entitlement even though it's unlikely I'll ever need it.

It appears that cat A motorcycle is the most commonly 'Lost' one, so best take precautions. For myself if/when I make it to 70 a 7.5t licence will probably not be necessary in europe, but hiring a RV in north america could be a problem.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-01 7:51 AM

I see no reason why the UK's current system of a 'Euro-standard' plastic card plus a paper counterpart should be considered bizarre. Nor - as having a driving licence is not a God-given right - why administration charges should not be part of the issuing/renewal system.

The old green paper licence (now often confused with the Counterpart paper licence) was issued FOC to everyone once going from provisional to a full licence......back in it's day. From memory there was no charge (it was 46 years ago for me so stand to be corrected if wrong) and only changed with the introduction of the plastic photocard licence which had to be renewed every ten years due to the photograph.

Those with an 'old style' paper licence who chose not to take a plastic photocard licence could still continue to drive on the old licence only. In fact two of my friends similar in age to myself never opted to take a photocard and continue to drive using their 'old style' licence. All perfectly legal of course.

In my naivety i chose to go for a photocard when first issued as i thought (wrongly as it's turned out) that in a few years it would become compulsory.

The idea behind the photocard is very good of course. Being the size of a credit card it easily fits in any wallet/purse so where in the past i never carried my 'old style' paper licence, i now always have my photocard with me.

Where the idea falls down (IMO), is having a Counterpart paper issued as well as. Totally unnecessary, a complete fag and OTT administration. Also, once you have opted for a photocard you cannot suddenly decide to revert back because DVLA won't let you. You are fixed into the system then and must renew the photocard every ten years paying a fee of £20 until you reach 70 when it becomes free. As mentioned previously i used to take my Counterpart with me when touring other countries but after a couple of years gave up and don't bother with it now as no foreign Police or Border guards have a damn clue what the thing is.....no doubt because they cannot understand why a driver should have two totally different licences. I'm in no doubt they feel that 'bizarre' and tend to agree with them!

They recognise a photocard licence in an instant as they are virtually identical to the licences which drivers from all other foreign countries are issued with.

Bulletguy - 2014-02-01 4:00 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-01 7:51 AM

The old green paper licence (now often confused with the Counterpart paper licence) was issued FOC to everyone once going from provisional to a full licence......back in it's day. From memory there was no charge (it was 46 years ago for me so stand to be corrected if wrong) and only changed with the introduction of the plastic photocard licence which had to be renewed every ten years due to the photograph.

Like yourself I struggle to remember exactly what happened, but I seem to recall that either you paid for a test which included in it's price the green licence, or when your old licence expired (which they did every 3 years) then you paid for the new licence. I have no recollection of any free licences.

colin - 2014-02-01 7:20 PM

Like yourself I struggle to remember exactly what happened, but I seem to recall that either you paid for a test which included in it's price the green licence, or when your old licence expired (which they did every 3 years) then you paid for the new licence. I have no recollection of any free licences.

The old licence are you talking about the little red books ones? Got me wondering what happened to my old ones probably in the attic somewhere.

Hi, just had a look at my license, green paper issued in 1976,expires in 3 years time. I never bothered to change to a photo license and have only had to show it abroard when picking up a hire car,which was always o.k.,and once to a policeman in Bulgaria who stopped me for speeding. In Bulgaria out of towns there was/is a 60 k.p.h. speed limit 50meters? either side of a road junction . The junction was at the end of a long downhill gradient ,and I had rolled down this hill with foot off the gas and was clocked at 78kph.Had to show license but from the way the ploiceman looked at it a green sheild stamp book would have sufficed. The penalty was an on the spot fine of 20 Lev (the official excange rate at the time c1990 was £1=Lev22, blackmarket was 27/28. Luckily the fine didn't put too much of a dent in the holiday budget.

If I remember correctly prior to my current green license, I had a little red book.Can't remember how much it cost .but could fill the car with petrol, take the girlfriend to the pictures ,get fish and chips on the way home and have change from 5/-

Regards David

Archived