old paper license

rawhide

lennyhb - 2014-02-01 8:44 PM

colin - 2014-02-01 7:20 PM

Like yourself I struggle to remember exactly what happened, but I seem to recall that either you paid for a test which included in it's price the green licence, or when your old licence expired (which they did every 3 years) then you paid for the new licence. I have no recollection of any free licences.

The old licence are you talking about the little red books ones? Got me wondering what happened to my old ones probably in the attic somewhere.

Just dug my old red licence out.

Page two has the dates and entitlements in the form of a receipt, the original page cannot be read as there is a second receipt completely stuck down to it, this in turn has a second page stuck along the top edge.

I'm guessing the first receipt was for my provisional moped licence(list 3), second receipt is for provisional car licence(list 2), this runs from April(birthday) till August and cost 5/-(25p), the third receipt is dated 10 Aug 1973(no end date?) provisional licence for car(list 2) and cost £1. After that must have got a green licence.

lennyhb - 2014-02-01 8:44 PM

The old licence are you talking about the little red books ones? Got me wondering what happened to my old ones probably in the attic somewhere.

Blimey that's right Lenny.....they were red!!

colin - 2014-02-01 9:48 PM

Just dug my old red licence out.

Page two has the dates and entitlements in the form of a receipt, the original page cannot be read as there is a second receipt completely stuck down to it, this in turn has a second page stuck along the top edge.

I'm guessing the first receipt was for my provisional moped licence(list 3), second receipt is for provisional car licence(list 2), this runs from April(birthday) till August and cost 5/-(25p), the third receipt is dated 10 Aug 1973(no end date?) provisional licence for car(list 2) and cost £1. After that must have got a green licence.

Colin

I honestly can't remember exactly what i did to get my provisional to start learning to drive. My Dad probably sorted it as initially he took me out a few times before going with an instructor.

I do remember a one hour lesson cost fifteen bob (that's 75p for you young 'uns!) though as my parents paid the first five lessons and then i had to pay the rest until i passed my test. I made sure i learnt quick!!

Background to the UK driving licence is provided here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_the_United_Kingdom

and there's useful information regarding licence change-of-format dates and costs here:

http://tinyurl.com/pxhphcc

I passed my motorcycle test in 1960 and my 4-wheeler test in 1964 and, at that time, I had a 'red booklet' format licence. (I've never had any professional driving instruction - I bought a motorbike and learnt to ride it by riding it, and my uncle taught me to drive in his builder's lorry by briefly explaining the controls and then saying "Let's go and don't dawdle." My uncle was a brave man!)

I gained an all-green 'paper' licence when the red booklets were superseded in 1973 and acquired my present pink/green paper licence when the format changed again in 1976 and 'full' licences became valid until age 70. UK photocard driving licences were introduced in 1999, but my personal circumstances have been such that I've not needed to obtain one.

The UK is not the only country to have chosen a photocard + paper counterpart driving licence system. That some countries have just the photocard and others have a '2-part' licence doesn't automatically make the former system best. As a former computer programmer I have no faith in the accuracy of computer-stored data, so I quite like there being a paper counterpart.

Archived