Gaslow questions

scud24

Keithl - 2014-02-04 8:54 PM

But watch out as some ferries restrict individual cylinder size to 11 kg.

Keith, I've just done a bit of research about the various restrictions on ferries (see above) regarding gas and can't find your 11kg limitation on the ones I've looked at, so can you tell me which ferry company has this limit please to save me wading through them all! B-)

Irrespective of the amount that ferries may state, has anybody every been asked about how much they are carrying? As far as I am aware it is port operatives that load you, who have absolutely no interest and then ferry operatives that park you who have not time to check.

A bit of a red herring but then a friend of a friend of a friend may have been asked?????? :-D

When I used tunnel cylinders were physically checked at Folkstone. On the way back i was just asked if switched off by a typical laid back french man with no inspection

Hi

I have had an 11kg gaslow cylinder with in-locker refill for a number of years and have never been refused. To help your decision making. One ll kg gaslow or similar plus a calor lite is a good combination. the refillable is the main provision which you refill at every opportunity. I have found LPG in France, Spain and Portugal without any problem. The calor lite is your emergency backup. It is not a question of whether or not you get your monies worth back, it is the pure convenience of it and the fact you do not have to mess about changing cylinders. The requirement never happens during the day in sunlight. It happens in the dark when you least want it. The calor lite lasts for ages as it is only an emergency backup. I now have a fixed tank for no better reason than the fact Swift gas locker will not allow an 11kg Gaslow to pass the door. so I sold the gaslow system and had a fixed tank fitted by Autogas 2000 at Thirsk. I am most impressed by the workmanship (Thanks John) and the crack was good. I think replies have indicated that a refillable system is worth consideration. Gas is available in most of Europe and no one has come on here to indicate THEY have had a problem in getting gas. I am sure some jobsworth has refused someone somewhere in Europe but it would seem that it does not present a problem. Go for it

Art

Mel B - 2014-02-04 9:59 PM

Keith, I've just done a bit of research about the various restrictions on ferries (see above) regarding gas and can't find your 11kg limitation on the ones I've looked at, so can you tell me which ferry company has this limit please to save me wading through them all! B-)

Mel, I seem to recall a thread (?on another forum) a few weeks back - I think someone had a problem with DFDS on Newcastle-Ijmuiden?

Solwaybuggier - 2014-02-04 11:12 PM

Mel, I seem to recall a thread (?on another forum) a few weeks back - I think someone had a problem with DFDS on Newcastle-Ijmuiden?

Mel,

The only route I know for certain that this restriction applies to is DFDS Harwich to Esjberg. Here is an extract from DFDS FAQ...

"Can I take a gas bottle on DFDS Seaways' Harwich-Esbjerg route?

Please note: Carriage of gas bottles: a maximum of 2 x 11kg gas bottles, one of which must be connected to an appliance (e.g. a fridge etc) may be carried in a caravan. Carriage of 1 x 17kg or 1 x 19kg bottles instead of 2 x 11kg bottles is not permitted. No loose gas bottles may be carried on DFDS Seaways ships.

The above are booking conditions and conditions of carriage of DFDS Seaways.

Customers are reminded of these conditions in order that they can make any necessary prior arrangements.

Discovery of any undeclared gas bottles after check-in may result in all the associated people, vehicles and gas bottles on the relevant booking being refused travel."

I think there may be others but don't have definitive data at this time.

Keith.

artheytrate - 2014-02-04 9:39 PM

I've fitted twin gaslow bottles to my last 2 new motorhomes, never had any problems with sooting up and never run out of gas. Best mod on my van.

Picking new Auto sleeper Broadway up in March with underslung tank fitted.

John.

How much is that going to eat into your user payload?

Keithl - 2014-02-05 8:21 AM

Mel,

The only route I know for certain that this restriction applies to is DFDS Harwich to Esjberg. Here is an extract from DFDS FAQ...

"Can I take a gas bottle on DFDS Seaways' Harwich-Esbjerg route?

Please note: Carriage of gas bottles: a maximum of 2 x 11kg gas bottles, one of which must be connected to an appliance (e.g. a fridge etc) may be carried in a caravan. Carriage of 1 x 17kg or 1 x 19kg bottles instead of 2 x 11kg bottles is not permitted. No loose gas bottles may be carried on DFDS Seaways ships.

The above are booking conditions and conditions of carriage of DFDS Seaways.

Customers are reminded of these conditions in order that they can make any necessary prior arrangements.

Discovery of any undeclared gas bottles after check-in may result in all the associated people, vehicles and gas bottles on the relevant booking being refused travel."

I think there may be others but don't have definitive data at this time.

Keith.

I'm sure last year Myferrylink had same restriction I recall checking as we have 2x13kg and decided to see what happens, but now they just say net 47kg of gas isolated and secured.

Guest JudgeMental

Colin wrote: "I'm sure last year Myferrylink had same restriction I recall checking as we have 2x13kg and decided to see what happens, but now they just say net 47kg of gas isolated and secured"

Colin, so you can get 2 x13 in a globecar/possl locker? thats surprising....what make are they please. as I might just buy 1x13 refillable in that case

Although large-capacity user-refillable LPG bottles exist (GAS IT advertises a 21kg-capacity canister) the usual maximum capacity-by-weight for metal bottles is 11kg. As far as I'm aware no over-11kg-capacity ALUMINIUM user-refillable bottle is marketed.

Regarding ferry restrictions, these 2012 links may be useful (though I don't know if they are up-to-date)

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/caravan-sites/overseas-sites/DFDS-Ferry-gas-bottle-sizenumber-limits/rt/37174/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/file/p201_MMMMar12%20copy%20sm.pdf

The 'rules' for carriage of LPG bottles on the DFDS Newcastle-Amsterdam, Harwich-Esbjerg and Copenhagen-Oslo ferry-crossings are shown in the FAQ part of the DFDS website relating to those routes.

"Question: Can I take a gas bottle on DFDS Seaways' Harwich-Esbjerg route?

Answer: Please note: Carriage of gas bottles: a maximum of 2 x 11kg gas bottles, one of which must be connected to an appliance (e.g. a fridge etc) may be carried in a caravan. Carriage of 1 x 17kg or 1 x 19kg bottles instead of 2 x 11kg bottles is not permitted. No loose gas bottles may be carried on DFDS Seaways ships.

The above are booking conditions and conditions of carriage of DFDS Seaways. Customers are reminded of these conditions in order that they can make any necessary prior arrangements. Discovery of any undeclared gas bottles after check-in may result in all the associated people, vehicles and gas bottles on the relevant booking being refused travel."

The '2 x 11kg gas bottles' restriction is mentioned only in connection with the Harwich-Esbjerg route, so should not apply to the Newcastle-Amsterdam(Ijmuiden) or Copenhagen-Oslo crossings.

(There have been fires recently on Newcastle-Amsterdam ferries and I note that these were mentioned (jokingly) on the MotorHomeFun forum

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/77129-fire-dfds-newcastle-ijmuiden-ferry.html

Obviously I've no idea if this has any relevance to Solwaybuggier's comment.)

JudgeMental - 2014-02-05 9:13 AM

Colin wrote: "I'm sure last year Myferrylink had same restriction I recall checking as we have 2x13kg and decided to see what happens, but now they just say net 47kg of gas isolated and secured"

Colin, so you can get 2 x13 in a globecar/possl locker? thats surprising....what make are they please. as I might just buy 1x13 refillable in that case

Just the standard Calor exchange bottles.

Arthur Brown - 2014-02-04 10:29 PM

I now have a fixed tank for no better reason than the fact Swift gas locker will not allow an 11kg Gaslow to pass the door so I sold the gaslow system and had a fixed tank fitted by Autogas 2000 at Thirsk.

I had the same problem with the gas locker opening in our Autocruise Accent panel van conversion (same as Swift Mondial etc), but removing the door frame trim and judicial use of a lump hammer soon 'encouraged' our 11kg Gaslow cylinder it to fit! :-D

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-05 9:14 AM

...Although large-capacity user-refillable LPG bottles exist (GAS IT advertises a 21kg-capacity canister) the usual maximum capacity-by-weight for metal bottles is 11kg. As far as I'm aware no over-11kg-capacity ALUMINIUM user-refillable bottle is marketed...

For what it's worth, evidently an over-11kg-capacity aluminium user-refillable gas-bottle does exist, as shown here

http://installations-lpg.blogspot.be/2014/01/bouteille-gpl-alugas-34-litres.html

(I'm pretty sure it's not marketed in the UK though.)

JudgeMental - 2014-02-05 9:13 AM

Afternoon folks,

yep thats true , 2 . 13 kg bottles

norm

sshortcircuit - 2014-02-05 8:51 AM

artheytrate - 2014-02-04 9:39 PM

I've fitted twin gaslow bottles to my last 2 new motorhomes, never had any problems with sooting up and never run out of gas. Best mod on my van.

Picking new Auto sleeper Broadway up in March with underslung tank fitted.

John.

How much is that going to eat into your user payload?

Hello Hamish it won't eat into my payload as the underslung tank is part of Autosleepers build.

Are you at La Torreta yet and what's t6he weather like.

John.

sshortcircuit - 2014-02-05 6:48 PM

That's good to hear as I was not sure what the payload was. I am afraid we are still in the uk but will be in Spain in less than three weeks. Going south for a bit then back up to La Torreta so hopefully we will meet up. Looking at webcams and weather appears not to bad.

The payload is 435kg in new van, our Auto Roller had 750kg payload so we will have to carry less, and yes fingers crossed we will be leaving end of March just for 6 weeks.

John.

Archived