Air suspension

chipy210

Hi Chipy,

I will recommend the Dunlop system from Marcle Leisure.

I don't know what your base vehicle is but will hazard a guess at a Ducato or Boxer so the system will be fairly easy to fit. The system on our Merc took me half a day to fit on my own and most of that time was routing and clipping the airlines to the drivers door step where I mounted the valves.

I have only fitted the straightforward two Schrader valve system and after using it for 2 or 3 years have no desire to upgrade to valves and gauges, it is simplicity itself to inflate with a 'Joe Blow' style bicycle track pump.

HTH,

Keith.

We also had fitted the Dunlop from Marcle, three years ago. Makes for a much better ride and cornering. We carry a compressor to adjust /inflate, as neccesary. Had ours fitted by our local Fiat comercial garage, as OH did not have the tools or the inclanation to fit himself. (Getting to old to mess about under vehicals these days.) would rather pay some one else to do it.

PJay

Chipy,

Follow the link I gave and select your vehicle to get the price of a kit for diy fit. They come with very good instructions.

As for price to fit, sorry can't help as I did my own. Try contacting local caravan repairers or possibly try Dave Newell Leisure services (a forum member).

Keith.

We've had the Dunlop kit (from Marcle Leisure)on our Renault for 3-4 years now and as has been said, they are really easy to fit(..although on the Renault there is a bracket welded to the axle, which holds a brake pipe and this needs "tweaking" out of the way..)

If you don't fancy fitting them yourself, just get a son/son-in-law/mate to do the srabblin' about bit! (lol)

Although I wouldn't have thought your "usual" garage would charge much(..this type of thing is where having built up a rapport with a local garage, comes in handy... ;-) )

It is sometimes possible(or has been?) to have air assisters fitted at some of the 'shows...so that may be worth looking into, if you were going to be attending one anyway..?

Just to add,we've got a basic(no gauge)set up...and although I fully intended to fit gauges at a later date, in reality(for us!) they just haven't been needed..

chipy210 - 2014-02-10 9:53 PM

Hi/ thanks can you tell me about how much for a self fit and how much for fitting cost

Cost from Marcle was £344.17 plus we bought Guage cost £67.82 that was in feb 2011.

Cost to fit £216.00

There was an article in MMM dated feb 2011 which was our guide to purchase.

I have a copy on file, so if you would like acopy. PM me with your e-mail address, and will try to send to you

PJay

Dave Newell is in in your part of country, so maybe worth contacting him. We bought direct from Marcle, as our garage had never fitted them before, and I believe they may now be an agent /fitter for Marcle

PJay

Another Marcle/Dunlop combo buyer. Top notch kit and straightforward to fit.

On my application, a doublecab pickup it was better to take the weight off the rear axle to allow it to swing away, so I used my local 'one man band' garage who has a two post lift and helped him myself.

We did it in an hour and a half.

Definitely can be done by any mechanic, even a mobile would do it for you

This is a vital modification for the few demountable camper owners out there to give the rear a much needed helping hand.

£350 from Marcle and about £40 to my garage chaps wine fund.

1729562440_DunlopAirAssist.jpg.9c7151cf4c2be13d3274910983bb9f20.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi, Just fitted Dunlop Air suspension to my Fiat Camper chassis based motorhome, easily fitted in a couple of hours or so.

Question is, what pressure to put in them? The recommended pressure is between .5 bar and 7 bar a big big difference. At present I've set them at 12 psi, just under 1 bar and on a short trip to fill up with diesel I didn't really notice any difference.

Any suggestions please?

Geoff

Geoff Beasley - 2014-04-22 3:45 PM

Hi, Just fitted Dunlop Air suspension to my Fiat Camper chassis based motorhome, easily fitted in a couple of hours or so.

Question is, what pressure to put in them? The recommended pressure is between .5 bar and 7 bar a big big difference. At present I've set them at 12 psi, just under 1 bar and on a short trip to fill up with diesel I didn't really notice any difference.

Any suggestions please?

Geoff

What I did was to measure the height of the rear of the van above ground when empty, then fully load it, and inflate the air suspension units until the rear is at the same height as when unladen. I found this worked well, but differences between vans may mean it is less successful on yours. Primary reason for fitting was to regain ground clearance at the rear, which the above achieved, but I also found there was less sway, reduced roll, and a generally more controlled ride into the bargain.

We have them fitted to our d/cab truck for a demountable and the different is astonishing.

To give you an uneducated pointer with pressures, run them at 10 psi when your camper is empty as they don't like being driven without air.

We run ours at 50psi for our rig, so I guess (emphasise guess) that a Ducato m/h would be comfortable at 20-25psi. It will all but eliminate body roll and prevent rear sag when loaded.

We had air-rides fitted to the Cheyenne at a show many years ago, probably in 2003, and they have been wonderful. I think the cost was about £400 though but well worth the money. I usually run at 40 and they are very easy to reinflate, even I can do it!

Archived